News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Thoughts on custom build list?

Started by dskav, May 31, 2015, 08:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dskav

Hi all-

First of all I'd like to say that I've been following this forum for a while, and I'm impressed with the amount of knowledge and help provided.  So decided to join and ask for advice, and hopefully contribute back at some point :)  I've been very interested in a rifle chambered in 6.5CM for some time and finally decided on a bolt gun instead of a semi-auto because a)I already have enough gas guns and b)I want this to be a precision rig.

I've tried to do a good deal of research but I'm definitely a rookie in this area so please be gentle if I say/ask anything supid :D (this will be my first go at a real precision gun, and I'm sad to admit my first bolt gun as well). 

Here are my goals for the project:
-I want to go custom mainly because I love building rifles, and I'm just one of those guys that likes my guns to be unique.  I've done the whole "upgrade a factory rifle over time" thing and would prefer to just build what I want from the start on this one.
-Since this is my first bolt gun I don't want to spend a crazy amount.  Trying to keep the build under $2k.
-The gun will mainly be used for killing paper/steel, but would like to hunt with it occasionally as well.

Here's what I've got in mind so far for components, which looks like it'll be around the $1700 range:
-Savage Target Action - I chose this because I've read good things about Savage, as well as the Accutrigger, and I like the fact that I don't need to go to a 'smith for barrel install, etc.
-Shilen Select Match Barrel - read some pretty good things about these barrels
-XLR Element Chassis - seems to be fairly lightweight, customizable, and performs well.  not sure if this would be a good option though for taking it hunting.  I also think I read that a chassis system like this eliminates the need for bedding, is that true?
-20MOA base, maybe nightforce?

Anyhow I'd love to pick your brains for any thoughts/suggestions.  I'm pretty sold on the barrel but not quite as much on the action and stock.

Sorry for the lengthy post!  Thanks in advance for your help.

westside benny

I just went through the same thing.  Ended up right around that $2K mark for a 'nearly' custom gun based on a Winchester action.  I only say nearly custom because it started with a factory action; although it was blueprinted.  This was my first custom, first bolt, very similar story to yours really.

What gave me fits for the longest time was deciding what I wanted.  To give an analogy I'll talk about my days selling boats.  Occasionally someone would want a boat to party on(talking grill and seating for 20, fish from, and ski behind). Now, I was able to put together a deckboat, or some other Tri-toon pontoon boat contrivances that could get it all done.  None of them could out fish my rig, out perform my buddies wakeboat, or accommodate a party like a 25 foot pontoon...but they kinda did all the jobs.

What I ended up with is no kind of F-Class getup.  But it shoots 1/3" groups at 100yds and rings steel 300 and every time I stretch her legs she just stands right up to the challenge.  I think as a range gun it would be a hell of a good Silhouette's setup (want to shoot a 12-20# gun standing?)...for humping over hill and dale I wouldn't want a bit more.

$2000.00 + a good personal assessment + patience + research = a rifle you will thoroughly love.  Also, don't skimp on the glass.  But also don't drop the ball on fitting the scope to the rifle.  I consider what I have on my rig to be absolute MAX for that type of gun...I got some good advice that helped early on or I would have had 3 pound scope with 50 MM Ocular; which would have been ungainly and left me with a gun that has an identity crisis.

In my case, wanting a nimble and handy hunting rifle took precedence.  What I have is not exactly a mountain rifle but closer to that than a dedicated range gun.  There may be something in the middle but it will be a jack of all trades and master of none...sorry, like I said just went through the same thing.

Danbonzo

Welcome.
Savage target action? Single feed only.
One of the reasons many choose to go with the 6.5CM is because the round can be setup for utmost accuracy by capitalizing on a short jump and still feed from a DBM or internal mag with a working COAL.
If I was considering hunting w/ it I'd want another round quickly need be.
If you're set on a prefit, Shilen barrel is a good choice. You can also go the Rem/Age barrel nut system and go prefit on a Rem 700 as an option. Food for thought is all.
I prefer Ken Farrell bases. Don't know how deep you plan on going with stick?  @ 1000yds you'll need about 9mills +/- w/ an average 2750 mv and 140gr. so if your going with a good scope with enough elevation you won't need the 20moa base but it won't hurt either way.
I'm building one now and going with a Manners. If you don't want to bed you can get a mini chassis and with a good barrel (properly fit) and load development it's not unrealistic to expect 1/2 MOA. If you skim bed 1/4 MOA could be attained if you are willing to do your part with the reloading aspect.
Taking a stock savage action, stock trigger group, putting a prefit pipe on and dropping it into an aftermarket stock- not bedded, really isn't custom tho. Custom will cost you more than $2k imho is all. Good luck and again welcome.

RIP Chris Cornell

bsumoba

If you are going to try to do a $2K build with optics, then it will be difficult to go custom.  You can do it, but will require a lot of patience to wait for stuff to go on sale.   Assuming you are only spending 2K on the rifle and not the optic, I would do this:

Here's what I've got in mind so far for components, which looks like it'll be around the $1700 range:
-Savage Target Action - I chose this because I've read good things about Savage, as well as the Accutrigger, and I like the fact that I don't need to go to a 'smith for barrel install, etc.

Instead of a savage action, I would go with a Remington 700 pattern action.  You can go with a Stiller Tac30 action.  Comes with a pinned recoil lug and a 20 MOA base.  - $1005

http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=88_97_98&product_id=209

-Shilen Select Match Barrel - read some pretty good things about these barrels

I would go with a Remage barrel setup with a barrel nut.  No smithing needed: http://northlandshooterssupply.com/match-grade-barrels/criterion-remington-barrels/

26″ – Stainless Match – Rem/Age – Varmint – 6.5 Creedmoor – 8 Twist – $328.00

-XLR Element Chassis - seems to be fairly lightweight, customizable, and performs well.  not sure if this would be a good option though for taking it hunting.  I also think I read that a chassis system like this eliminates the need for bedding, is that true?

Yes, this does not require bedding.  It is a V-block style mounting system.  I like this chassis, but cost is a little much for the budget.  I would go with this:  https://www.magpul.com/products/hunter-700-stock-%E2%80%93-remington%C2%AE-700-short-action - $259

-20MOA base, maybe nightforce?  Not needed as it comes with the Stiller action

You will need a trigger and I would go with a Timney Calvin Elite or Jewell trigger -  If you are hunting, then maybe the Timney - $170

This leaves you with about 200 bucks.  Not bad egh? ::) :P 
* you may begin shooting when your target appears!

dskav

thank you all very much for your input, I truly appreciate it.  it has certainly given me some more to think about.  I do like the Rem/Age suggestion, that was on my radar but I'll look more at it.

and sorry for not clarifying a few things initially:
-I did mean $2k before optics.  I still have much research to do in this arena so I won't pester you guys just yet asking about it - having said that I'll listen to suggestions if anyone has any
-The max range will most likely be 800 for now as there isn't anything longer in my area
-sorry if folks around here have a different definition of "custom," I told you I was a rookie :) simply meant something not bought as a complete factory rifle
-I do realize the "ace of all trades" unicorn gun doesn't exist so apologies if it sounded like that's what I'm going for.  This will be primarily a target gun, but wanted to avoid anything that would make it unfeasible for taking hunting a couple times - like what Danbonzo pointed out about the action being single feed only, not sure how I missed that :-[  /doh/

@westside benny - I'd be interested to hear the details on your setup

thanks again for the help, I look forward to doing some more research and hearing more from y'all

swampthang

dang i want to contribute to this post but dont think i can-
a dual port savage action is a good choice for a starter- i prefer a 700 action if not the full blown custom action like bat b, defiance, or borden rimrock.  a trued , blueprinted short action 700 is around 450.00 and dollar for dollar are hard to beat.
i used to shoot shilen ss select match barrells a long time ago  but in a 264 caliber the bartlein's are dominating. 1:8 twist 5r are 350.00 - whatever you get make sure its atleast finished at 28 in, the longer the better.
jewell trigger is a must but they dont make them for savage.
as for stocks -i cant say. for ME i do NOT like a chassis style tacticool stock, for a really good stock that tracks well and wont break the bank look at bell& carlson medalist, they have an aluminum block inside an pillar blocks .
egw makes a 20 moa rail that is alot cheaper than a nightforce. this is my opinion but theres no way i d build a rifle and not bed it. never had a chassis system though.
except for the action my gunsmith has everything you need on the shelf and i can get you a heck of a deal.
 i ll put my reputation on his work too .he ll be as cheap or probobly cheaper than anyone else too.
"kill em all"

eas1949

I completed my custom build last fall.  A Savage Target Action (RBRP),  HS Precision Stock,  Shilen select match 26 in Bull barrel, PTG bolthead, Murphy precision 20 moa base.  I named my rifle Mjolnir.

[media id=1165 type=preview align=center caption="Mjolnir and Hubbel JR 1"]

He is way to heavy to take hunting unless the hunting is a field of prairie dogs.

However I have been thinking about your build and my suggestion would be a Savage SS Varmint action, HS Precision stock.  I would pick a shilen select match varmint barrel, PTG bolthead,  upgraded barrel lug and nut, and CTI bottom metal. 

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/index.html

Eric

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Stevereno

I second the B&C medalist stock.  I just dropped my savage into one.

Danbonzo

Quote from: Stevereno on June 01, 2015, 10:28:48 AMI second the B&C medalist stock.  I just dropped my savage into one.
I third it, I bedded a savage 10 in a B&C. The aluminum chassis is great for the price point. Shoots lights out. I would always want a layed up stock and bedded action over any of the Tupperware offerings. Again just my preference and opinion
RIP Chris Cornell

swampthang

it aint no tooley or mcmillan for sure but for less than 250.00 theyre like a sore peter... hard to beat :D
"kill em all"

slickrick0999

[media id=1166 type=preview align=center caption="20150516 105411 1"]
I just built this one. 

Danbonzo

Quote from: swampthang on June 01, 2015, 11:53:19 AMit aint no tooley or mcmillan for sure but for less than 250.00 theyre like a sore peter... hard to beat :D

LMAO
RIP Chris Cornell

dskav

thanks for the advice everyone!  too many responses to reply individually but I really appreciate the honest feedback - nowhere near the amount of a-holeness as some other forums :)

@swampthang thank you very much for the offer, I'll PM you once I've got a more finalized list together and see if your smith can help.
could you shed some light on why you said the barrel must be 28" or longer?  seen quite a few 26" and even some 24" builds - is there really that much difference bumping up to a 28"? 

those B&C stocks do look like quite a bit of bang for your buck.  the Style 2 and Style 3 look solid, anyone have any input on 2 vs 3?  also are there any shooters out there on the smaller side using them comfortably?  i'm only 5'7"

@slickrick0999 looks good, mind sharing the component details? and what does she weigh?

Rooks

Here was my build. This doesn't include my McRee chassis, bipod, scope and rings.
This was done 2yrs ago..
[media id=1167 type=full align=center caption="image"]
SAC, ARC, SAP, Hawk Hill, Timney, MPA
Team SAC www.shortactioncustoms.com

slickrick0999

Savage 4.4" action with side bolt release
PTG bolt head
factory ACCU-Trigger
Weaver 20moa base
Criterion barrel cut to 24" and threaded, trued recoil lug and barrel nut from NSS.
XLR Element Chassis w/folding adapter and NIV mount. 
Nightforce F1 scope in NF Ultralight Rings & AAD Scope caps
ALPHA mags

Don't know about the weight, I'll check