Thoughts on custom build list?

Started by dskav, May 31, 2015, 08:37:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussie65

Quote from: Rooks on June 02, 2015, 06:40:52 AMIf you want to hunt with this rig, you'll be fine anywhere between 22-26". This is an optimal length for the creedmoor.
My barrel is 28" of rifling with the S8 contour. It's 16.5lbs. I wish I would have gone 26" m24 contour to lighten it up.
 I'm right around 2850fps with 142's. I tested some 108's last weekend. 6.2mils to 950yds which is 3200fps. This is another topic I haven't posted yet. :)
Anyway, go with 24-26" and a rem varmit or m24 contour (Bartlein) and you will be just fine. I think on Shilens website, this would be an S6-S7 contour.

Better put that topic up Matt. What load are you running behind the 108s?
Don't look down on people unless you're helping them up.

dskav

thanks guys, I like the idea of sticking with a 24"-26" barrel.  what would you say the weight difference is for each 2" increase/decrease?

are there tangible benefits to the brake besides recoil reduction?  I would like to have a brake but that's another couple hundred bucks for the brake and getting the barrel threaded, so might pass for now - not sure though
[mergedate]1433247820[/mergedate]
also does anyone here feel strongly one way or another about barrel fluting?  not sure if it's worth it for this build

eas1949

Would someone explain why a Stiller Tac 30 action is better than a Savage target action?
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Danbonzo

Quote from: eas1949 on June 02, 2015, 08:33:12 AMWould someone explain why a Stiller Tac 30 action is better than a Savage target action?
Why better Eric? Different. Tactical shooters want to use magazines.
RIP Chris Cornell

eas1949

Quote from: Danbonzo on June 02, 2015, 10:02:12 AM
Quote from: eas1949 on June 02, 2015, 08:33:12 AMWould someone explain why a Stiller Tac 30 action is better than a Savage target action?
Why better Eric? Different. Tactical shooters want to use magazines.

Ok, I understand you can get a Savage Varmint Action for 500.00 and use the CDI bottom metal with it.  How is Stiller Tac 30 better than the Savage Varmint Action with a PTG bolthead? 

Erichttp://www.midwayusa.com/product/929909/ptg-bolt-head-savage-10-series-308-bolt-face-right-hand?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/savage-actions/
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

kalindark

Don't waste your money on barrel fluting, unless you are trying to stay is a certain weight class for a comp.
As for the brake, a 10-12# creedmoor doesn't need one unless you absolutely need to spot a miss for a follow up shot.  I don't like brakes for hunting either.  Why, because sometimes you forget to wear hearing protection and it hurts.
My take on triggers is 1# or lighter for a bench gun.  2-3# for hunting.
Why.  30 degrees, cold hands and gloves equals blowing apart a tree branch as you cycle the bolt cause your glove brushed the trigger.
As for the action, if you can afford an action with an integral rail and lug, do it.  Its newer tech and fewer pins and screws that you have to worry about checking if you have problems.
And I will say there is nothing wrong with a savage action.  But I consider a custom gun one that has a custom action, not a factory action modified to be better.  When you brake down the pricing, it just makes sense to save up longer for the custom action. 
my 2 cents.

Difference in 2" of barrel weight is 4-8 oz maybe depending on the contour.

dskav

Quote from: kalindark on June 02, 2015, 10:21:55 AMDon't waste your money on barrel fluting, unless you are trying to stay is a certain weight class for a comp.
As for the brake, a 10-12# creedmoor doesn't need one unless you absolutely need to spot a miss for a follow up shot.  I don't like brakes for hunting either.  Why, because sometimes you forget to wear hearing protection and it hurts.
My take on triggers is 1# or lighter for a bench gun.  2-3# for hunting.
Why.  30 degrees, cold hands and gloves equals blowing apart a tree branch as you cycle the bolt cause your glove brushed the trigger.
As for the action, if you can afford an action with an integral rail and lug, do it.  Its newer tech and fewer pins and screws that you have to worry about checking if you have problems.
And I will say there is nothing wrong with a savage action.  But I consider a custom gun one that has a custom action, not a factory action modified to be better.  When you brake down the pricing, it just makes sense to save up longer for the custom action. 
my 2 cents.

Difference in 2" of barrel weight is 4-8 oz maybe depending on the contour.

cool, you've confirmed a lot of what I was thinking.  do you recommend Defiance for an action w/integral rail and lug?

kalindark

I would go with either the deviant or the surgeon action.  Surgeon is a slightly smaller and lighter action and would be my pick for hunting.
For tactical and bench use I'd go with deviant. 
Deviant has an m16 extraction
Surgeon has a Remington style extraction.

Deviant needs its own stock inletting
Surgeon has the same footprint as a 700 action.

If you are only going to build one custom rifle you can't go wrong with either one.  But I bet you can't build just one :)

dskav

Quote from: kalindark on June 02, 2015, 11:21:21 AMI would go with either the deviant or the surgeon action.  Surgeon is a slightly smaller and lighter action and would be my pick for hunting.

If you are only going to build one custom rifle you can't go wrong with either one.  But I bet you can't build just one :)
haha oh I'm sure you're right, I'm sure they'll end up being like pringles

I'll think about a Deviant/Surgeon.  will it really make that much difference over the DGR?  point being I really don't want to get too carried away with this build.  a few bucks here and there, and before you know it I'll go from trying to keep the rifle under $2k to having a $3500 build

Danbonzo

Quote from: dskav on June 02, 2015, 11:50:00 AM
Quote from: kalindark on June 02, 2015, 11:21:21 AMI would go with either the deviant or the surgeon action.  Surgeon is a slightly smaller and lighter action and would be my pick for hunting.

haha oh I'm sure you're right, I'm sure they'll end up being like pringles

I'll think about a Deviant/Surgeon.  will it really make that much difference over the DGR?  point being I really don't want to get too carried away with this build.  a few bucks here and there, and before you know it I'll go from trying to keep the rifle under k to having a 00 build
Uh yup $3500 sounds right....
RIP Chris Cornell

slickrick0999

The 12-14 lbs was with the nightforce on it.
Everything except bipod and mag.

kalindark

The DGR would be fine.  Rooks seems to be able to make shots out to a mile with his creedmoor.  So I guess its acceptable ;)

dskav

Quote from: Danbonzo on June 02, 2015, 02:00:40 PMUh yup $3500 sounds right....
lol glad we're on the same page

[mergedate]1433277582[/mergedate]
Quote from: kalindark on June 02, 2015, 02:18:11 PMThe DGR would be fine.  Rooks seems to be able to make shots out to a mile with his creedmoor.  So I guess its acceptable ;)
yea that sounds reasonable :)

Danbonzo

Quote from: dskav on June 02, 2015, 03:40:31 PM
Quote from: Danbonzo on June 02, 2015, 02:00:40 PMUh yup 00 sounds right....
lol glad we're on the same page

[mergedate]1433277582[/mergedate]
Quote from: kalindark on June 02, 2015, 02:18:11 PMThe DGR would be fine.  Rooks seems to be able to make shots out to a mile with his creedmoor.  So I guess its acceptable ;)
yea that sounds reasonable :)
Plus glass... Big boy toys.
RIP Chris Cornell

dskav

Quote from: Danbonzo on June 02, 2015, 05:12:52 PMPlus glass... Big boy toys.
roger that.  seeing as this is my first one tho I think I'll try to save a grand or so on the rig and spend it on ammo/reloading supplies so I can practice, otherwise I won't be good enough to make a $3500 (or more) gun worth it.  then maybe down the road a little once I can justify it, I'll spend big boy money on the next one