News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Conversion

Started by autoxforfun, November 16, 2020, 08:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Looks good bob.. looks to be balanced well also.. nice job.. ????
Grant

autoxforfun

It has been raining the past couple of days but it is supposed to clear for tomorrow.  I see how it shoots in the morning 600 yard practice.  I now have 50 rounds down the barrel and two loads that look like potentials......I'll let you know.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

jvw2008

Quote from: BCz on December 13, 2020, 03:20:48 AMI changed my mind....

Candy Brandywine

Got a sample pic?

autoxforfun

I took the heavy out to the 600 yard range this morning.  It had been raining the past couple days and so that meant that there was  moister in the ground.....and in Northern Central CA, that means FOG.  I groped my way to the range by 7:30am and then we all waited until around 10am for the fog to lift enough to see that targets at 600 yards.  To go along with this, the temperature was in the low 40's  and as the fog cleared a nice breeze came up that was in your face.

But the heavy did well for a barrel with only 50 rounds down it and first pass on a load.  It was shooting 3" groups very consistently.  The weight was great.  It really tamed the 6.5-284 into something that was a joy to shoot.  The rifle just eased itself into your shoulder and it tracked well in the rests.  Felt like I was shooting the 243 Win.    I shot 40 rounds between sighters and a number of 5-shot groups.  What I experienced was that each group got smaller than the previous.  I don't have any chrono data but I have enough of the load left to see how much it changed when I get the labradar setup next.  I am pleased with how this has turned out.

I also shot 'Storm Trooper'  at 100  yards  to zero the scope and put a few rounds down the barrel.   Looking forward to giving it a shot at a match as well.
Bob

DHuffman

Quote from: autoxforfun on December 14, 2020, 08:12:07 PMI took the heavy out to the 600 yard range this morning.  It had been raining the past couple days and so that meant that there was  moister in the ground.....and in Northern Central CA, that means FOG.  I groped my way to the range by 7:30am and then we all waited until around 10am for the fog to lift enough to see that targets at 600 yards.  To go along with this, the temperature was in the low 40's  and as the fog cleared a nice breeze came up that was in your face.......

Sounds like someone needs a trip to ND to put weather in perspective. ???? 13 below this morning, fog, wind pretty much the whole deal.

Glad the 6.5-284 worked you got me thinking.
Dave

autoxforfun

Quote from: HufD63 on December 14, 2020, 09:28:55 PMSounds like someone needs a trip to ND to put weather in perspective. ???? 13 below this morning, fog, wind pretty much the whole deal.

Glad the 6.5-284 worked you got me thinking.

Yeah.....I am a lite weight..lol
Bob

DHuffman

Quote from: autoxforfun on December 14, 2020, 09:43:54 PMYeah.....I am a lite weight..lol

I'm starting to think I am too
Dave

mnbogboy

4°F was our high today.  Shot 17 shots with the "new" short  barrel Creed....even with handwarmers fingers got cold....supposed to warm up in the coming days.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

gman47564

i knew you would like the 6.5x284... i been working with the creedmoors the last couple days... neck turned and loaded a 100 rounds for the one i have in a mpa chassis... shot 3 of them... one as a sighter at 430 yards and the other two at a 11/2" washer at 430... missed it on the first attempt... smoked it on the second...then loaded 50 140 gr eldms for the one in a orxy chassis... been using the amaxes in it...the eldms was identical to the amax in base to ogive length so loaded the same charge and seating depth for the eldm's... shot 2 of them... lol they both went in the same hole... figured as scarce as things are that was good enough...
Grant

autoxforfun

Quote from: gman47564 on December 15, 2020, 05:15:22 AMi knew you would like the 6.5x284... i been working with the creedmoors the last couple days... neck turned and loaded a 100 rounds for the one i have in a mpa chassis... shot 3 of them... one as a sighter at 430 yards and the other two at a 11/2" washer at 430... missed it on the first attempt... smoked it on the second...then loaded 50 140 gr eldms for the one in a orxy chassis... been using the amaxes in it...the eldms was identical to the amax in base to ogive length so loaded the same charge and seating depth for the eldm's... shot 2 of them... lol they both went in the same hole... figured as scarce as things are that was good enough...

Nice shooting Grant.....it is why we do all of this work.   

Interesting that we're starting to get a bit conservative on our round consumption given the uncertainty of getting more components.   My mornings start with a quick look at the normal places for powder and primers.
Bob