News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Conversion

Started by autoxforfun, November 16, 2020, 08:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptGrumpy

Quote from: jvw2008 on November 19, 2020, 03:46:24 PM" I have seen the wind pick up and watched the flags blow straight out, and in different directions at the same time. "

Last summer at Colorado Rifle Club, I had a 6x6 target frame ripped out of its carrier - while I was shooting for record. ????

That is the typical situation at Sac Valley that causes a day to get cancelled.

Quote from: jvw2008 on November 19, 2020, 03:41:58 PMI'm fortunate to be able to step out my back door and shoot 600 on an electronic target most any day. But when you step out into knee high snow, everything comes to a screeching halt. ????

Getting soft in your old age! :P  :))  :))
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

jvw2008

Wisdom! Comes with age. ????

autoxforfun

In early 2019, we had a storm come thru that did some damage to the range.  The wind was strong enough to snap off the poles that hold the target number boards up....see picture attached...before the wind came.  So as Capt'n indicated, we do get some difficult winds.  It is not unusual (actually very common) to have the flags pointing in different directions as you look down range.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

gman47564

any updates on the 6.5x284 bob?
Grant

jvw2008

Bet he's been busy with the Storm Trooper.

gman47564

I bet your right jerry.. i just dont see why a guy needs so many rifles... ????????????
Grant

jvw2008

Oh I wouldn't really expect you to. Addiction thrives on self denial. ????

autoxforfun

This made me laugh this morning......

On the 6.5-284, I shot a 10 shot ladder on Monday morning after the 1000 yard practice.  We have a match next Sunday, so my focus has been on the tuning the 140g Hybrid in the 6.5 CM but after the practice session I went to the 300 yard range to continue with the 6.5-284 and the 110g A-tips for the 6mm CM.  So spent a few hours at the range on Monday.....then cleaning all three when I got home....long day.   But I found what appears to be a node between 53.4g and 53.8g of RL-26 at ~2930-2950 fps using the 153.5g Berger Hybrid Targets.  I have loaded more of these in this range and plan to shoot some groups to verify.  Of the 10 that I shot in the ladder test, 6 of them went into a quarter size hole...definitely likes the 153g Bergers more than the CM did.

I am still need to work up a load for the storm trooper CM.  I'm thinking about using the 147 ELD-Ms that I have in that one.  So until I finish that work, it has not been out of the house.

The first part of dealing with an addiction is to admit it.......nope not me....lol.  But I have run out of space in the safe which does put a practical limit on getting any more.  Kinda like, running out of garage space prevents adding additional vehicles and race cars.  So other than swapping some barrels from time to time, I think I'm done with adding more.
Bob

gman47564

Thats where im at bob.. my safes are full.. i bought that old flat top long action 30-06 a few weeks ago with no intentions of shooting it as a 30-06 so it sit in the corner .. still no idea what i will make of it.. but i did pull the barrel off it a few days ago and screwed a used predator hunter 6.5 creedmoor barrel on it that i had and then put it in a stealth chassis.. main reason i done this was because i had a bunch of rounds loaded for that barrel.. i shot it a few times and it shot well and cycled fine in the long action.. no room in the safes for it so i hung it in a gun rack on the wall.. maybe by the time i get them loaded rounds shot up i will know what to turn it into.. lol
Grant

autoxforfun

Quote from: gman47564 on November 25, 2020, 11:05:53 AMThats where im at bob.. my safes are full.. i bought that old flat top long action 30-06 a few weeks ago with no intentions of shooting it as a 30-06 so it sit in the corner .. still no idea what i will make of it.. but i did pull the barrel off it a few days ago and screwed a used predator hunter 6.5 creedmoor barrel on it that i had and then put it in a stealth chassis.. main reason i done this was because i had a bunch of rounds loaded for that barrel.. i shot it a few times and it shot well and cycled fine in the long action.. no room in the safes for it so i hung it in a gun rack on the wall.. maybe by the time i get them loaded rounds shot up i will know what to turn it into.. lol

We addicts need to stick together with our stories....I like it.....lol
Bob

autoxforfun

On the original post/picture of this thread, I am considering making this a heavy gun competitor.  It won't be a true 'Heavy' gun since many of these weigh in at 40-60 lbs but rather a 'Heavier' gun with something more in the 25-30 lb range.  I ordered a piece of 1"x 3"x 12" stainless steel (which weights ~10lbs) and was planning on removing the same volume of material from the forearm and replacing it with the stainless.  This would bring the total weight into the 25-30 lb range.

Bob

jvw2008

Actually guys I don't think either one of you should stop buying. I have plenty of storage - send me your extras.

jvw2008

Course I need you to send dies and brass with them.

autoxforfun

UPS just delivered the Stainless Steel bar......I think I have some work ahead.  It weighs in at 10 lbs 6 oz.  Figure I'll probably net a 9 lb gain after removing material from the stock.
Bob

gman47564

Bob how in the world are you going to incorporate that into your forearm..
Grant