News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Ar10 6.5 creedmore question

Started by Smnagao, October 30, 2017, 03:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smnagao

Ok so i'm building an ar10 chambered in 6.5 creedmore and wanted to see what y'all thought of my parts I've chosen. I want to go for accuracy but am concerned with previous posts about difficulty with reliability in 6.5

Receiver set- aero precision m5
stock- magpul PRS
Trigger- geissle (not sure on what one yet)
Rail- SLR
Bolt carrier- JP LMOS
Bolt- JP high pressure bold
Barrel- 24' proof research stainless steel CAMGAS
Gas block- sir adjustable
Buffer-AKTIVE anti tilt
Buffer spring- TUBB precision spring

My question is focused on the barrel. I'm having a hard time deciding between JP, rainier ultramatch, or proof camgas. I'm staying away from a blank turned by a gunsmith because I don't want the headache of finding a gunsmith to turn a barrel and all that.

Stugotz

For the fire control group, I would recommend the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match. You will pay a little more for it but will love it's greater adjustability and ultra crisp break (I own 3 and would not own anything else, but that's just my preference). If you can wait a little, you should be able to pick one up on sale. I would also recommend a full mass BC. Unless you really think you need a lighter BC I see little to no benefit (maybe faster follow-up shots) but I do not believe you will ever notice the difference even shoot 2 identical rifles but for different bolt carriers.  The micro second (or 2) of lock-up time with a full mass BC will aid in the accuracy on an AR platform. I've owned a JP low mass BC, and although it functioned very reliablely, I saw NO advantage with it over a good full mass BCG. (You will save a little money in the process as well going with the full mass). I have experience with a JP and Rainier Ultramatch barrel and the Rainier UM shot just as well (tight groups) and was the less expensive option of the 2. Good choice on the PRS!!! Good Luck on Your New Creedmoor Build!
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

Stugotz

Had you considered JP's Silent Capture Spring? I have 4 (including my 2 AR 10 builds which have tungsten weights) and the rifles have always preformed flawlessly!!    8) 
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

Smnagao

I'm really trying hard to keep cost down. That's why I went with the anti tilt buffer and flat spring. I have the silent captured for my ar9 and it's ok but adds a lot of unnessary weight.

chromeski

I am no expert,  but I am just finishing up a very similar build.  I think any of the barrels you are looking at will do good.  finding a smith to turn one isn't an issue,  I see the problem being the cost and the amount of time you may end up waiting.
   I think the geissele triggers are great.  I have the ssa-e on my ar15 and the National match (I think that's what it's called) on my new 6.5 cm build.  both are very good the national match can be a hassle to adjust,  but not so bad.

Stugotz

Saving weight is an entirely different animal, the PRS stock is a real pig coming in at just a hair under 2 lbs. If that is high on your priority list, you might want to look at the LUTH-AR MBA-3 coming in at 18.5 oz. chromeski, what are you finding difficult as far as adjusting your Geissele HSNM trigger? I find them very easy to make adjustments to.

chromeski

Quote from: Stugotz on November 01, 2017, 08:14:39 AMSaving weight is an entirely different animal, the PRS stock is a real pig coming in at just a hair under 2 lbs. If that is high on your priority list, you might want to look at the LUTH-AR MBA-3 coming in at 18.5 oz. chromeski, what are you finding difficult as far as adjusting your Geissele HSNM trigger? I find them very easy to make adjustments to.
[/quot
I may have worded that wrong,  more difficult than a trigger that you just drop in and shoot.  truth is I have done very little adjusting on mine.  I installed it,  turned down the pull weight a  bit and that's it.  I have been waiting until I finish my gun to see how it feels.  I have just finished the gun,  but waiting on scope mount.  I fired 4 shots thru it with no sights yesterday,  trigger feels good for now

stevieb92

I saw you cross posted on Snipershide as well, and I already provided feedback there.  However, I will point you to my thread on this site.  I went through a bunch of load development on my 6.5 CM rifle. 

http://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=5345.0

If you are concerned about money, and want the best bang for the buck barrel out there, in my opinion it is the Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Creedmoor premium series.  I got mine on a group by through Snipershide for under $200.  And I couldn't be more pleased.  When I am on my game, it shoots about .5 to .7 MOA 5-shot groups with my hand loads (occasionally sub- half moa) and I have also shot many .5 MOA 5-shot groups with factory Hornady 140 ELD-M ammo.  I built a very similar rifle for my Dad back in 2015, and he wanted a Krieger barrel.  So, we ordered it and waited many months for it.  His rifle shoots about the same as mine.  He only shoots factory ammo, so we haven't done any significant load development with it to squeeze out the extra potential.  I have seen the 22 inch BA barrel on sale for around $200 from several places, and I want to buy another one for myself. 

I will also recommend the LaRue MBT-2S trigger.  It had been a fantastic trigger in my 6.5 CM.  My Dad has a Geissele SSA-E in his 6.5 CM and I prefer the LaRue.  I also have the Geissele Hi-Speed National Match in my CMP match rifle, and it doesn't hold a large advantage over the LaRue trigger.  You can find the LaRue triggers on sale on most holidays for $99.  I have 2 LaRue triggers and want to buy more for other rifles.

I will second the recommendation for a full mass bolt carrier.  There are several options out there.  D Wilson, WMD, Rubber City Armory are all good ones that aren't as expensive as the JP full mass carrier.  I highly encourage you to get a HP bolt to add to the full mass carrier.  JP would be my top choice there, with the Rubber City Armory a close second.  I realize Aero Precision makes a HP bolt carrier group, but I have no experience with their bolts.  I have a D. Wilson 308 bolt in my 308 AR, and its nice. 

I realize that my thread I linked above may have dead links from Photobucket, so if you would like to see some targets I can post some up but have to get them transferred to Imgur. 

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain my reasons for my recommendations.  I am not the only guy on this forum with a 6.5 CM AR, so stick around, there are a lot of good shooters here with great experience.   ;D

flyer

Firstly, the Aero M5 is an LR308 compatible receiver, not AR10.  That is an important thing to keep in mind for part compatibility.

If you are trying to save weight, the ACE Ultralight is a good stock.  The LuthAR seem nice also but I have no personal experience with them.  You can use sponge rubber to pad a simple stock for perfect cheek weld so you don't need heavy adjustable gizmos to make it fit right for you.

I've never heard of the buffer you mention but I'll second the suggestion of the JP silent captured spring, it should work with anything except folding stocks which I discovered when I decided to use a Law Tactical folder.

If you go for a stock that takes a carbine type buffer tube, the setup I am betting on uses an AR10/Vltor A5/POF 308 length buffer tube which is 3/4" longer than a standard AR15 carbine buffer tube but it let's you use a standard 3.25" AR15 style carbine buffer instead of a 2.5" shorty.  This will give you a great variety of AR15 buffers to select from including reasonably priced standard, H1, H2 and H3  buffers.  Vltor makes a nice buffer tube but the POF is inexpensive, I think both have an anti-tilt feature.  I went with a POF tube.

I think the PRS has an "entry" length buffer tube which requires either the JP silent captured spring setup or a 2.5" shorty buffer.

p.s. I'm selling a new JP silent captured spring setup.  If you're interested, check the classified section.

Stugotz

Rainier Arms also sells an HP bolt that you will a less for than the equivalent JP.

Smnagao

I for sure will be getting a high pressure bolt. You guys have me on a full mass bolt carrier for sure now. The BA barrel looks interesting as well. I'm considering the silent captured spring for sure. I just wasn't as impressed with the equivalent for my ar9. I think my bigggest problem is that I'm so wishy washy on barrel type mainly because I really would like a .5-3/4 moa gun. It does seem that a lot of people like the jp barrel and BA barrel.

Smnagao

Is it necessary to have a +2 barrel? The BA is just rifle length

Stugotz

You would want to go with a +2" barrel with something like a 26" pipe, possible even a 24", but for anything under that (22", 20") go with a rifle length gas system.

TriggerHappy

My Aero M5 build has a 24" BA barrel. Love it!  Will shoot 5 shot groups .5-.75" And would be even better in more capable hands.  If weight is a concern however, the BA heavy barrels might not be the best choice as they are HEAVY.
I have the Geissele SSA-E Trigger which is by far my favorite Trigger I've ever used though I have not tried the National Match others speak of.
Stock I have the Luth-AR MBA-1. This is a fantastic stock, easy to adjust and very sturdy.
BCG and buffer system I just went with general Aero parts. Rifle cycles and functions flawlessly.
Money Can't Buy You Happiness, but It Can Buy Guns And That's pretty much the Same Thing
Scott

wile_coyote

That description is close to mine.

Rainer barrel has been great and I would purchase another readily.

Currently I have an AR Gold trigger in it that's really nice. I've had an SSA-E and SD-E in it too. I'm currently selling the SD-E on another site. Nothing wrong with it I'm just working on standardizing my triggers in my distance/ precision rigs. This weekend will provide some info on LaRue's MBT. I have placed one in my Grendel and will be trying it out this weekend.

I have a standard DPMS buffer and spring in it that has worked well.  At some point I will be buying and placing a JP Silent in it to give it a try.

BCG is an Aero nitride with a standard bolt.  No issues. Gas block is an SLR clamp and has worked well.

Last four rounds from my last range trip.  These were American Gunner 140 gr BTHP.

Every cloud has a silver lining (except for the mushroom shaped ones... which have a lining of Iridium and Strontium 90)