Looking for a 22LR barreled action to fit Remington 700 SA Chassis

Started by VA-XBolt, September 15, 2023, 09:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA-XBolt

Well folks,

I've got an MDT ACC Remington 700 short action chassis which has been up for sale for some time. No real interest on that, so I'm considering turning that one into a 22LR trainer. The MDT Chassis matches my other two MDT ACC 6.5cm chassis, with the exception of the folding stock option which the 6.5cm rifles both have.

In researching options, so far I've found the following which should work with that MDT ACC 700 SA chassis, but I don't really know anything about any of these, and am just wondering if the group had any experience with these 22LR options, or possibly others?

Bergara B-14R. Seems fairly solid, and is the least expensive of option I've seen so far. Alamo Precision rifles sells these with the 18" steel barrel and one AICS magazine set up for 22LR for $699.

Zermatt Arms RIMX Action, RH 22LR w/30 MPA rail, plus a Proof Research 20" barrel, and one VuDoo gunworks AICS magazine comes in at $1,810. (from Mile High Shooting)

VuDoo Gunworks V22 Three 60 action, depending on barrel options and rail options, ceracote color and one one AICS magazine comes in around $2050. VuDoo has the most options, since it's essentially a custom order and I can get up to a 60 MOA rail on the action. Delivery is 4-6 weeks.

I'd still need to buy another trigger (TriggerTech Diamond to match my other rifles), plus rings and scope etc.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out for comments or suggestions.

LeadHammer

The ACC is a nice chassis.
Bergara was so close with that .22. It seems to have a heavy bolt lift, and the mage are not the best, it needs a gen 2 in my opinion.
Rim X is king of the mags. Its flaw appears to be if you have a round in the chamber you can't run the bolt forward to pick it up, and something can be damaged but replaced. It needs a gen 2.

Vudoo mags are ok. It needs a gen 2 lol.

I have no personal experience with these but since I have a bolt .22 on my long term radar, I like to research them.

I like the YouTube channel "pursuit of accuracy ". Josh on there does a bunch of testing .22's. Hours of videos.

VA-XBolt

Sounds like there is a lot of "needs a Gen 2"...

Will check out the YouTube videos.

LeadHammer

I guess I should say nothings perfect. I think out of those I would go Rim X for the mags and buy a few replacement extractors just in case.

VA-XBolt

Ok, so the RimX magazines seem to be winning, though I like the single feed option on the bolt/extractors for the VuDoo action vs. the magazine fed only option on RimX. Would be nice if one or the other was a clear winner.

LeadHammer

I agree that's why I said gen 2's. I would imagine they are working on new ones.

gman47564

The secret to 22 rimfire accuracy is finding the right brand and lot of ammunition that shines in the gun. From what I see the b14 is a solid gun.. a voodoo with not the perfect ammo for it will get beat by the b14 with the right ammo.. if I was in your shoes looking to build a trainer I would go with the b14 and find the ammo it liked and take that other 1500 dollars you would spend on the voodoo and buy a pile of ammo with it.
Grant

LeadHammer

I think it's actually the bolt close that is stiff on the Bergara, also some are staking the ejector to fix an issue there.
I like that Bergara sells the barreled action.

VA-XBolt

Quote from: gman47564 on September 15, 2023, 02:11:19 PMThe secret to 22 rimfire accuracy is finding the right brand and lot of ammunition that shines in the gun. From what I see the b14 is a solid gun.. a voodoo with not the perfect ammo for it will get beat by the b14 with the right ammo..

You make a good point there.

VA-XBolt

For those shooting match 22LR ammo, what are you seeing as the better brands?

gman47564

Quote from: VA-XBolt on September 16, 2023, 07:52:33 AMFor those shooting match 22LR ammo, what are you seeing as the better brands?
I started with cci ar tactical in my cz but found out in the match I shot in the other day that I had to use subsonic ammo.. my local gun store had some rws field ammo and used it. It shot pretty good. But since then I been shooting sk standard plus and it's shooting great in my cz457.. it's my understanding the folks that make lapua centers also make the sk ammo.. pretty much the same stuff. They get their quantity of lapua stuff filled then fill the sk stuff.. then theirs eley ammo. Havnt tried any of it but some guys swear by it.
Grant

VA-XBolt

Have heard about Lapua and the RWS, but appreciate the additions.

VA-XBolt

OK, getting closer to finally putting a barreled action into that MDT chassis.

I know I asked once before about 22lr ammo, but have been looking at various match brands, SK, Eley, Lapua etc, and gasping somewhat at the 40 plus cents per round prices. Granted, less than my 6.5cm reloads, but still a bit pricey.

Any further updates on preferences for ammo.