News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Pressures in Savage Axis and Henry Lngranger

Started by sv6.5, May 08, 2024, 02:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sv6.5

I am new to the 6.5 Creedmoor.  I have purchased the subject rifles because they have wood stocks and I wanted a modern, high performance cartidge for target shooting out to 600 yards.  Silly, maybe, but my experience is in old military bolt actions and I like wooden stocks.  Also, I like the fact that the Henry has open sights, though I have scopes on both rifles.
I found this forum in looking up loads for various bullets, mainly Hornady at this time.
It seems to me that a lot of the recommendations from the powder companies show pressures lower than 60K PSI.  I have seen loads on this forum which deal with the listed maximums and higher.
I have been loading for years, and am quite conservative about pressures, based on the generally old guns I shoot. In the case of my M1a, max pressure is really important.
As a newby here, I am asking about the strength of the rifles in the subject line.  I am happy with them, but I want to be conservative while getting some "reach" out of them.
Thanks for any opinions you might have.  Obviously, safety is my concern. 

DHuffman

The Axis will take the pressure and I have no experience on the Henry to speak from.
Dave

autoxforfun

SV6.5, welcome to the forum.  Glad you found it and posted.

I have a number of Savage rifles in 6.5 CM and other variants.  They don't have any issues with handling the pressure but you know the drill in load development.  Start on the low side and work up.  The best load may not be at the maximum pressure.  In fact, I tend to stay away form the max node due to wear and tear on the brass.  I have found that the Berger 140g Hybrid shoots really well at around 2830 fps with a moderate load of RL-16.  H4350 has been the goto powder for the CM since the beginning and it is still available....better than RL-16 and less expensive.  The Berger 140g is a great 600 and 1000 yard bullet.  There is another node in the low-mid 2700 fps range that shoots great.  So you have some choices depending on how hard you want to push the brass.  The guns should be fine.

I don't have any experience with Henry's....but they seem quality but start loading low and work up....should be fine.

Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough