News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Savage Stealth v.s. Ruger Precision Rifle

Started by Litehiker, May 16, 2016, 02:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Litehiker

Anybody out there own a Savage Stealth?

Anyone seen any comparison reviews with an RPR?

(UPDATE: I think this particular comparo will be in a lot of gun magazines in the near future - that is just after the initial Stealth reviews are out. It's natural comparison in a field that is bound to grow, i.e. entry level competition rifles.)

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

kxlexus

Thank you,
Steve

Super Trooper

The Savage BS Stealth is a 110 rifle action in a MTD LSS chassis with the long top rail accessory.  It's nothing like the Ruger RPR, just Savage trying to get into the pre-built chassis offerings and cash in on the RPR success.

Danbonzo

Quote from: Super Trooper on May 16, 2016, 06:40:12 PMThe Savage BS Stealth is a 110 rifle action in a MTD LSS chassis with the long top rail accessory.  It's nothing like the Ruger RPR, just Savage trying to get into the pre-built chassis offerings and cash in on the RPR success.
Why so cynical? They are taking a proven action,  blueprinting it, using one of their kick ass button rifled barrels and dropping in a well made chassis system. It has an action, trigger, barrel, and stock and is designed to shoot bullets. Behind that logic I guess any manufacture who comes out with a new rifle is just piggybacking on someone else's brilliance then huh?
RIP Chris Cornell

onebadmofo

Litehiker

I asked this B/C both rifles have chassis stocks and are "reasonably" priced. I feel that the average Stealth and the average RPR would be pretty much equal in accuracy. Both companies know how to put out accurate rifles with decent triggers.

Granted, Ruger is a huge company compared to Savage and therefore they could build their own chassis/stock with only an aftermarket forearm. Savage has looked at aftermarket parts and put together a decent competition rifle on its proven 110 action for new competitors who are testing the waters.

Eric B.

"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

gman47564

i'll take one too...lol. was just looking at them online... seems like finding one is about like finding a rpr... ya cant...lol
Grant

onebadmofo

Quote from: gman47564 on May 16, 2016, 08:02:56 PMi'll take one too...lol. was just looking at them online... seems like finding one is about like finding a rpr... ya cant...lol

Last week I talked to Savage and they said the new Stealth should be out by the end of the month...... I hope so

looxahomapastor

Just saw a YouTube clip and the new stealth looks pretty sharp.
"All it takes for evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing"

lavahunter

Had my hands on one today. Got my name on it to pick up next week.
Feels like it weighs about 3-4 lbs. lighter then the RPR that I had. My RPR had the problem of groups moving after the first 3 or 4 shots.
Sold it and bought an LRP. Soon as I got it home I scoped the barrel and it had bad copper fouling and tooling marks, so back to savage it went.
Went by the LGS today to check the status of the LRP and they had the Stealth on the counter. Talked them into trading my LRP for the Stealth as soon as the LRP comes back, which should be first of next week.

Danbonzo

Quote from: lavahunter on May 16, 2016, 08:43:57 PMHad my hands on one today. Got my name on it to pick up next week.
Feels like it weighs about 3-4 lbs. lighter then the RPR that I had. My RPR had the problem of groups moving after the first 3 or 4 shots.
Sold it and bought an LRP. Soon as I got it home I scoped the barrel and it had bad copper fouling and tooling marks, so back to savage it went.
Went by the LGS today to check the status of the LRP and they had the Stealth on the counter. Talked them into trading my LRP for the Stealth as soon as the LRP comes back, which should be first of next week.
Ok so now you have just appointed yourself the Stealth liaison to the forum. We expect lots of photos and feedback!!!
I still don't see it listed on the Savage website. Am I missing something??
RIP Chris Cornell

coolbranch

Not knocking Savage. I own a few accurate ones. Interested in forthcoming reports .
"Happiness is a warm gun".

kxlexus

I will be interested when the long action models of both are available
Thank you,
Steve

Super Trooper

Quote from: Danbonzo on May 16, 2016, 07:36:32 PMWhy so cynical? They are taking a proven action,  blueprinting it, using one of their kick ass button rifled barrels and dropping in a well made chassis system. It has an action, trigger, barrel, and stock and is designed to shoot bullets. Behind that logic I guess any manufacture who comes out with a new rifle is just piggybacking on someone else's brilliance then huh?

Not being cynical, just honest.  I don't have a RPR so I have no skin in this game.  I would think you could do a little better getting a 10/110 action, match barrel, and the chassis and accessories and be close to asking price with a little better rifle.

kxlexus

Bringing this back up. Hoping for some more info on the Savage Stealth in Long Action versions
Thank you,
Steve