News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

targets for sighting/OCW testing

Started by nhyrum, April 07, 2016, 10:32:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nhyrum

Im wondering what y'all use for targets when you sight and develop a load.

I work with large copy machines so I want to design my own target to use(i have free access to all sorts of paper, machines and design tools) something with 6 5" targets on 12x18 paper, each one with load data below?

pictures of what you use would also help, but i plan on a one-off dessign

eas1949

This might break your printer but will be a hit at the shooting range!!

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

nhyrum

Quote from: eas1949 on April 07, 2016, 10:44:17 AMThis might break your printer but will be a hit at the shooting range!!

OH GOD NO!!! MY EYES!!!

Wilson1911

I would get a large piece of paper and print high contrast 3 inch circles on them. This was you can put 1 ocw test on 1 sheet.

This is what I am currently doing, just to give you an idea. This is just a target turned around backwards and stickers put on.

I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

nhyrum

go no. 1. what do you guys think?
i may change the red center circles to orange. maybe the whole black and red part to orange?

number 1.5 top row has whole center "safety orange", bottom row has just the red part changed.

Wilson1911

I find high contrast circles great to shoot at, and when you post your ocw test on here, others can easily make out your groups. I would go all orange centers with a single cross-hair for aiming points. 3 or 4 inch circles. Paper big enough to fit 5 wide 3 deep.

List Charge weight
CBTO
Date
Temp
I am not the biggest, nor the fastest.  I will not fall short or stray off my target. I am a surgical instrument, who lives in the X ring. I am the 6.5 Creedmoor with deadly precision.

Bill W

I find for 100yd test simple black cross on white back ground works the best for me make the lines 1 in by 1 in black. Just a aiming reference. And on typing paper 8x11 work go 3 lines horizontal and 5 lines vertical. 15 targets well a least what I do..keeping paper white and simple will see holes alot easier.

cwall64

NRA Benefactor - Life

nhyrum

Quote from: Wilson1911 on April 07, 2016, 11:36:04 AMI find high contrast circles great to shoot at, and when you post your ocw test on here, others can easily make out your groups. I would go all orange centers with a single cross-hair for aiming points. 3 or 4 inch circles. Paper big enough to fit 5 wide 3 deep.

List Charge weight
CBTO
Date
Temp

thanks for the info i need to list, i wasnt even thinking for a date and CBTO data.

i can fit 3x5 3 inch circles on the paper we have in stock here. now the question is if i should use 12x18 cardstock or 11x17 glossy photo paper. i ran 20 of each on my blasting targets for my pistol and both look really good

I think that would work the best

Wilson1911

cardstock, glossy may have a glare.

Are you making them to scale ?

If you have a kestral/weather station data you could put all the readings on a spot in the corner of the target. These readings only need to be put once on a target. It's the charge weight and CBTO and speed data that every one wants to see with the corresponding target group. You could also add a chrono line. I load 6 rounds of each when I ocw test. this either gives me 2 tests, or I can choose to chrono the other 3 instead.

So just below your target you would have

Charge Weight :___________
Case Base T 0give :___________
C Speed/SD/ES :_____/____/____               

This is the bottom corner only
air density
wind
temp
date
bullet type
powder

I would buy some like these lol

nhyrum

Quote from: Wilson1911 on April 07, 2016, 12:23:07 PMSo just below your target you would have

Charge Weight :___________
Case Base T 0give :___________
C Speed/SD/ES :_____/____/____               

This is the bottom corner only
air density
wind
temp
date
bullet type
powder

I would buy some like these lol

I'll get working again. see if I can't fit all that info under each target.

Stupid question... What's ES?

I wouldn't consider selling any until and if I use my own paper, then I may consider designing targets for sale, I wouldn't mind sending you a few for "testing purposes" though.
As a point of reference, a package of 250 sheets 12x18 of 80 lb cover(what I'm using and what business cards are printed on) is about 50 bucks. A case(5000 sheets)  of regular high quality printer paper is 30-35 bucks.

Well see. 

Wilson1911

Extreme Spread
Standard Deviation
Speed is in  Feet per Second

You currently have 6 (3x2)lines under a target, change to 3 lines centered underneath:
Powder/Charge Gr :________________
Case Base T0 0give :________________
Chrono FPS/SD/ES :______/____/____

If there is not room left or too small you can leave off this in the corner of target only. I am not sure how close the targets are in relation to the edge of the paper.

This is the bottom corner only. you can just write it on the back of the paper.
air density
wind
temp
date
bullet type
powder

Do you have any lighter paper to make it cheaper ?

nhyrum

Regular 20lb bond paper would be too floppy in the wind. When I go, I glue or staple the target to cardboard, then screw that to a pallet.  I was wanting something heavier. I may be able to find something in between but I'd have to order it, which I'll have to do anyway if I keep printing f class 1000 yard targets...  35 sheets each

Also Wilson, I made an offer to you in my previous comment (did it in an edit just as you posted)  let me know what you think

dadajack

Aim small, miss small. 1" dots for out to 300 yards, and I try to keep my POI under my POA. That way I do not tear up my POA. It's a real PITA to have you POI ruin your POA because your POA is small enough that even good POI consistency will still distort the image of your POA. Make sense?

So, I think the targets with the small aimpoint and a box for the impacts above or under are the best. I just don't use them. I have 4' wide, 200' long rolls of craft paper I cut my targets off of, roll up individually and stick on a mailing tube, then put the 1" or 2" dot son them at the range. I keep the notes about the target in my iPad or iPhone as to which dots are shot in what order with what load. Then I transpose all that data to the spreadsheet later that day, or whenever I revisit my loading bench.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

Wilson1911

Is the printer paper still 12x18? I am not sure how thick 80lb is.

Everyone staples targets to a board. Lots of guys use regular printer 8.5x11 and just print whatever they want on it. So being flimsy is not a big deal. I currently use a redfield target turned around with orange stickers. What is 80lb compared to this ?

my current targets