News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Stoked first load coming together

Started by Ol’ Skunk, April 10, 2024, 08:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol’ Skunk

Good day everyone. Curious what everyone used for components for their first crack at loading their 6.5 Creedmoor. Small rifle primer decap pins are in the mail and then it starts for me.

For me it will be:
Peterson small rifle brass
Remington 7.5 primers
H4350
Hornaday 129 Interlock

So excited.

gman47564

For me when I bought my first 6.5 creedmoor I also bought two boxes of hornady 129sst's and my savage predator hunter shot them horribly.. I thought the 6.5 creedmoor was just a bunch of hype.. but them two boxes gave me 40 cases.. I took them and joined this forum.. and read threads from the reloading section for days.. and seen where about everyone was shooting 140 gr bullets.. so I bought a box of 140 eldm bullets and loaded them with h4350 not even knowing yet how to really work up a load. So I loaded some just under book max and my gun came alive.. and that became my quest into precision reloading and long range shooting ..
Grant

Ol’ Skunk

Hey Gman. Thanks for the reply, will definitely be reading the reloading forum for days as well. I have 100 Peterson brass and 100 129 Interlock to shoot the rifle a bit and form the brass. See where it all goes next. Budget Shooter Supply here in Canada has a bunch of 140 Speer hot-cor I was thinking on trying.

autoxforfun

Quote from: Ol' Skunk on April 10, 2024, 08:24:43 PMGood day everyone. Curious what everyone used for components for their first crack at loading their 6.5 Creedmoor. Small rifle primer decap pins are in the mail and then it starts for me.

For me it will be:
Peterson small rifle brass
Remington 7.5 primers
H4350
Hornaday 129 Interlock

So excited.
When I started loading the 6.5CM (which was my first adventure into reloading), I had been shooting Winchester Match 140g factory ammo.  So I had a fair amount of Win Brass to play with.  I started with the Hornady 140 ELD-M bullet with RL-16.  H4350 was definitely the go to powder, but it was very hard to find.....worse than today.  RL-16 was getting some great reviews and it was a powder I could easily acquire...so I went with RL-16.  I also had good success with the 147g ELD-M.....still a favorite.

Since then I have moved to Peterson Brass (LRP) and have only great things to say about their brass.  I also have now pretty much settled on Berger 140g Hybrids.....great shooting bullet.  I don't hunt and only punch targets at 600 and 1000 yards.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

LeadHammer

I shot a few boxes of Hornady 143 ELDX's. They shot well, so I bought Hornady brass, Fed 210 primers, 143 ELDM's and H4350. Made the BTOG the same as the factory rounds that already shot well.

Skunk, don't forget about Sierra Matchkings, or Nosler RDF's, Hornady ELDM's or Berger hybrids or VLD's.

Ol’ Skunk

I may try a few match bullets for fun down the road. My number 1 thing is hunting loads. In my 30/06 and many other calibres over the years I have mdd as only used accubonds.

LeadHammer

Quote from: Ol' Skunk on April 11, 2024, 08:51:53 AMI may try a few match bullets for fun down the road. My number 1 thing is hunting loads. In my 30/06 and many other calibres over the years I have mdd as only used accubonds.

Makes sense. You may find the Creed so much fun it might turn into a 70/30 target/hunt rifle. Mine is like a 90/10 rifle nowadays.

Sierra had Gamekings as well as gamechangers. Lots of fun to be had. Good luck.

sportacus

Welcome Ol'Skunk. Have never held a X-Bolt in any caliber that was not a shooter. I have a 2015 Shot Show All Weather left hand in 6.5 CM. Likes ELD-X, AB and 130-140 Bergers. Have gathered up Speer HotCors, Gold Dots and Impacts. Will use H4350 and try to get accurate load running around 2700 FPS. Price was right.They should be poison on deer and feral hogs. Good luck.
If you have the shot, take it.