News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Reloading room help!

Started by thatmarine, March 12, 2024, 10:24:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thatmarine

Gents,
We are in the process of building our long term home. I finally got my air conditioned reloading room! Now Im looking for your best ideas for my room. It's going to roughly be 30 feet long and 15ish wide. It's the bonus room above our garage. The walls will go up 5 feet they slant toward the center of the room. I am open to any and all ideas since it hasn't been built yet.

Ideas I'm playing with: vault door on main entrance, building a safe room inside the reloading room....

I'm also kinda stumped on how to build my bench with the slanted walls.

Bullet Jockey

Hey Devil these bench's work great if you're looking to buy.

Work benches

jvw2008

Post a few pics of the area so we can get a better idea of what you have to work with.

MJeff23

Here's an idea as a stand-up bench.  Could be a sit-down bench but would lose the shelf.

Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

LeadHammer

Even though it's lagged to the wall, photo above, having a real sturdy bottom shelf is great, that way you can load up some heavy stuff on it to make it real sturdy. I probably have 75lbs on my lower shelf,( bullets and supplies) my bench is steel with 3/4" wood top and shelves and is solid without being bolted to anything.  I have a cinder block under my computer monitor to raise it up even lol.

jvw2008

I like Jeff's drawing. Would have some additional suggestions depending on what your floor to roof clearance is. Definitely like lagging it into the wall studs if possible.

Denver Steve

I use two old office desks. Man they are beefy. The one weighs over 300lbs... They don't move at all with as much torque I can possibly put on my press. I can literally hang off of it and the desk doesn't move.

It's all steel though. Just looks like a wood top. Best part is, they where free.

I had four more I got as well and gave them to two other reloaders.

hdmunger

Quote from: MJeff23 on March 13, 2024, 07:45:04 AMHere's an idea as a stand-up bench.  Could be a sit-down bench but would lose the shelf.

I like the idea of a sitting bench, and with your provided dimensions, with a 3 foot wide bench, that makes the shelf shown is about 18" wide and leaves 18" of foot space (more than enough I would think).  This would likely leave you space above the bench for a storage shelf (depending on the actual height of the side wall below roof pitch).

I also like the idea of using the end wall (where the window probably will be) so that you get some natural light and a view.  Use the slanted side walls for storage cabinets/shelves, etc.

thatmarine

Sorry about the delay....here is the diagram off the room. The vertical walls go up 5' before they slant to finish at a 10' ceiling.

eas1949

When I built my room I bought 60x24 and 72x24 metal workbench frames and butcher block tops  they are really stable and work well.  I would fill the 15 ft wall with them and one six footer down the each side.

Eric

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

thatmarine

LeadHammer

I have a nice spot in my house that would work as a small reloading room and be a hidden room. It has power and a heat duct already. Maybe one day I can convince my wife when we redo the house.
I wish it was as big as the room you are making. It will be fun to see yours built up.