News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

Goat hunt

Started by lofty, February 13, 2024, 02:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lofty

Wild, or feral goats have been off the hunting list in Australia for a while due to their value as meat animals. Farmers who had goats like this on their land didn't want them shot. But recently the price dropped to the point that they were listed once again as a pest, so I thought some goat meat could be on the menu. My 6.5 Creed is a Tikka Lite, and I loaded it for the occasion with a 123gn SST. I found a little mob and picked out a young billy and took the shot at about 75 yards. He went down without a step. I expected the bullet to go right through, but it didn't. I like it when all that energy is used up in the animal, not the scenery. Sorry no pic, I used my phone and being technically challenged, I can't post it.
JD

LeadHammer

Nice job. Sounds like a great hunt. In .270 win, with 130 SST's, they blow up pretty quick. Interesting about the slower 6.5CM round not going through.

lofty

Yeh Led, I fully expected a pass through. The shot went right behind the foreleg, and judging by the blood was a double heart lung shot. But those goats can be tough, sometimes harder to kill than a pig. Goat meat is pretty good eating by the way,

LeadHammer

Does it taste like Lamb?

sportacus

Quote from: LeadHammer on February 13, 2024, 06:01:00 PMDoes it taste like Lamb?
Grew up hard in central Louisiana.  Ate my fair share of goat.  Meat de'jour at the end of Dixie League baseball season.  Kinda stringy but with a liberal application of Boudreaux sauce, not bad at all.  Had lamb with Saudi and Iraqi Bedouins.  I bulked up on rice.  These were high end lambs imported from South America.  Too greasy for me.  Kept my left hand in my harness belt and feet flat on the carpet so I did not insult my hosts.  Those of you have been in the sandbox will understand.  However, their tea and coffee are outstanding.  Strong and black.  A ritual with Arabs.
If you have the shot, take it.

lofty

Quote from: LeadHammer on February 13, 2024, 06:01:00 PMDoes it taste like Lamb?
A bit more like mutton. Sort of like lamb with a bit more flavour.

lofty

Quote from: sportacus on February 13, 2024, 07:01:34 PMGrew up hard in central Louisiana.  Ate my fair share of goat.  Meat de'jour at the end of Dixie League baseball season.  Kinda stringy but with a liberal application of Boudreaux sauce, not bad at all.  Had lamb with Saudi and Iraqi Bedouins.  I bulked up on rice.  These were high end lambs imported from South America.  Too greasy for me.  Kept my left hand in my harness belt and feet flat on the carpet so I did not insult my hosts.  Those of you have been in the sandbox will understand.  However, their tea and coffee are outstanding.  Strong and black.  A ritual with Arabs.
Australia has done a lot of live exports of lambs to Saudi mate. Then some TV footage showed up of Arabs stuffing sheep into the trunk of a Buick, and the animal rights crew got involved, and that was the end of that. Some of the older goats, especially the billy's can be a bit chewy. I usually go after the younger ones. Make great curry too.