Progressive reloading machines

Started by gorillamotors, October 09, 2023, 05:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gorillamotors

What is your favorite progressive reloading machine. Dillon (what model) Mark 7 (what model) Hornady etc What machine would you buy at the next price point upwards?

Jim
Jim Harris
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker

jvw2008

I use a Hornady LNL for my pistol and 5.56 rounds. None of them are intended to be high precision so the press does what I need. I don't own a Dillon but if I wanted mass production with higher precision it seems like that's the way to go based on forum reviews. 
That said, I would not use any progressive press to load long range precision rounds for benchrest competition. There is just too much happening at the same time with multiple cases to stay on top of the variables.
I know other reloaded do so that's just me expressing a personal opinion.

MJeff23

I use a Dillon 550c for most of my loading--pistol and rifle.  I prefer the manual turn of the base. 

For rifle PRS match ammo, I use Whidden floating toolheads with floating dies--2 heads, one for sizing and one for seating. However I bought a SAC sizing die and it didn't really fit the Whidden toolhead very well, so I use it in my COAX press.  The SAC with a mandrel eliminates two stations on the Dillon (also eliminating need for the second toolhead).  I still use the Dillon for powder drops (funnel die via supertrickler) and seating projectiles.  Runout (total on indicator) on the projectiles 0.002 or less.
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

Bullet Jockey

I've kicked around a 650/750XL and Mark7 for a few years. Loading for two shooters sucks the life out of it for me..I just can't seem to pull the trigger. I have several friends that use them with great success in Fclass.

eas1949

Over the years I have had a number of progressive presses.  RCBS Green Machine, 4x4, piggy back, Dillon 650, Dillon 1050, and currently 2 Hornady AP presses, one which has a case feeder and bullet tubes.  Of all these I prefer the Hornadys.  The biggest problem with progressives is powder spilling.  Hornady shell plates are easy to tune up to reduce spilling and the powder measures works better than Dillons.  The timing is easily adjusted.  I also like the 223 primer pocket swager shell plate which makes short work of processing military cases.  If I were to upgrade I would add a bullet feeder.  I load 9mm, 38/357,223,40S&W and 45ACP.

If I were to change anything on the press I would enlarge the press for a little more room between the dies.

Primer Pocket Swaging

Swaging Hack

Eric

NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart