News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Bat LG

Started by DHuffman, March 25, 2023, 10:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Quote from: autoxforfun on April 30, 2023, 10:57:33 AMDave, what conclusions do you draw from these.  I'm looking and scratching my head a bit on what to conclude.

I'm with ya bob.. I don't know how they tune like that but I know they do and it works for them..
Grant

DHuffman

In the 6 charge ladder I like purple because it's compensating however as a 5 shot group on the second die comparison ladder it's not that great. Orange on the 6 charge ladder is tightening up nice and even though off a Harrels D4 bushing leads right into (size wise,) the higher range .6,.7 & .8 that were sized on the Forster.

So the takeaway for me is the Virgin Alpha gets grabby on either die and based on the 4 shot groups that 2960+ range is smaller on both dies.

It was more about trying to get through a ladder without the brass getting grabby but there is very useable load data to be had there as well.
Dave

DHuffman

Shot Saturday but the wind was pretty trashy.
So back on the D4 die with 400 primers vs BR4s and made it clear through this 18 shot ladder without the brass getting grabby.
Warmer weather put it right between nodes I'd say so that's that basically.

Dave

DHuffman

The Bart 103 ogive shape doesn't put much bearing surface in the shank and I've been thinking about my stash of 106 Roy Hunters.
I put together a couple ladders starting low working up to 30.2 thinking that would be pretty fast based on past experience.
Got to my spot and the wind was at 10 mph from 3 o'clock, heavy mirage and smoke haze from lead hammers fire.

I don't do this very often but I made a target up and hung it at 150 yards and shot the ladders.
Random seating depth so it's a little off but I think there's potential at a couple spots.

They've shot well for me down there at 29.6 also
Dave

LeadHammer

I would think you are pretty close. Some decent groups in there. Sorry about the smoke!

DHuffman

Full seating test at 30.0 @ 600 in some wind.

+4, 5 & 6 are nice, +5 is .363"  :o

Dave

jvw2008

4,5, and 6 are all tight 👍

gman47564

Tell me why 4 is out of the group but yet still tight.. is 5 and 6 considered positive compensation
Grant

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on May 27, 2023, 02:05:26 PMTell me why 4 is out of the group but yet still tight.. is 5 and 6 considered positive compensation

Positive Compensation is typically associated with powder so I'm gonna say I don't know LOL

Red and blue are so small they look out of the group but blue and yellow are in pretty close proximity to each other.
The wind I shot in was no joke, I know 5-10 doesn't sound like much but when you shoot a ladder like this in dead air you can look at it and say that's the dispersion of what you're testing in the wind you have to accept they may not be accurately represented in terms of position target.

I ran 3 at a time then checked wind then shot 3 and so on.

So while I trust the size of the groups I don't take them at face value where they are laying.

To answer your question I'd say it's wind shift, more than anything

Dave

DHuffman

I was short on siters with a clean barrel, think I took 4 switchedover and let them go. I don't know but again I'd attribute it mostly to the wind.
Dave

DHuffman

Dave

DHuffman

Seating off the 29.8 charge

Dave

LeadHammer

Dave how did you like seating with the increased neck tension? If I am seeing that correctly, 0.004"

DHuffman

It seats nice but I need to compare bushings/mandrels and see if it's optimum
Dave

DHuffman

With the Forster instead of the Harrels D4

Gives a little less .200" line sizing than the D4, I may try it a while and see if I can get away with it.
Dave