Making 6.5 Creedmoor bras from 308 Winchester

Started by 6.5 Shooter, May 06, 2022, 05:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6.5 Shooter

I have lots of 6.5 CM brass, but I thought I would try making some out of 308 Win.
One pass through the 6.5 FL die and trim, works slick.
If you're in a pinch and don't have any 6.5 CM brass, this is the way to go to get you hunting.

Rob01

Have you tried to put it through the rifle?

gman47564

Making 6.5 creedmoor brass out of 308 brass works.. but its not as easy as just running 308 cases through a 6.5 fl die.. all that brass you have to trim off comes from the neck and shoulder.. this in turns the shoulder brass into the new neck.. and the thickness of the brass in the shoulder is much thicker when it creates the new neck.. so to make 6.5 creedmoor brass out of 308 brass its a must that you turn the neck thickness down to the proper thickness.. if the case will even chamber without turning the necks theirs a good chance the bullet wont release when fired.. and you for sure dont want that.. so in short.. after sizing the cases you have to turn the necks down.. stay safe
Grant

Rob01

That's why I was asking as you can't just make it by running it through a 6.5 die.

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on May 06, 2022, 08:12:00 PMMaking 6.5 creedmoor brass out of 308 brass works.. but its not as easy as just running 308 cases through a 6.5 fl die.. all that brass you have to trim off comes from the neck and shoulder.. this in turns the shoulder brass into the new neck.. and the thickness of the brass in the shoulder is much thicker when it creates the new neck.. so to make 6.5 creedmoor brass out of 308 brass its a must that you turn the neck thickness down to the proper thickness.. if the case will even chamber without turning the necks theirs a good chance the bullet wont release when fired.. and you for sure dont want that.. so in short.. after sizing the cases you have to turn the necks down.. stay safe

What Grant said /\ LOL

Seriously though a lot of us made them back in the day when Hornady was the only option looking for tougher primer pockets.

There are threads on this site devoted to it and as Grant said there's much more to it than running it through a die.

If I were to do it again I'd have a mini chop saw to cut off the neck to length then an inside neck reamer and finally turn the outside of the neck for the final thickness.

It's a process and not a short one.
Dave

DHuffman

Here you go, one of the threads from the old days LOL 22 pages of experience on the subject.

https://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php/topic,2586.0.html
Dave

6.5 Shooter

Quote from: gman47564 on May 06, 2022, 08:12:00 PMMaking 6.5 creedmoor brass out of 308 brass works.. but its not as easy as just running 308 cases through a 6.5 fl die.. all that brass you have to trim off comes from the neck and shoulder.. this in turns the shoulder brass into the new neck.. and the thickness of the brass in the shoulder is much thicker when it creates the new neck.. so to make 6.5 creedmoor brass out of 308 brass its a must that you turn the neck thickness down to the proper thickness.. if the case will even chamber without turning the necks theirs a good chance the bullet wont release when fired.. and you for sure dont want that.. so in short.. after sizing the cases you have to turn the necks down.. stay safe

I put the newly sized 308 brass into my rifle, it fits perfectly.
I measured the outside diameter of the neck, it's under the max size of the  Hornady drawing in my new Hornady 11th Edition Reloading manual.
The inside dimension after resizing was .263 allowing for .001 thou of grip on .264 bullets.
I will not be using the resized .308 brass as I have about 300- 400 count 6.5 CM brass.

gman47564

Try measuring the neck on a fired 6.5 creedmoor case and then measure the neck on one of your 308 cases with a bullet seated in it..
Grant

Kansaswoodguy

You may or may not need to turn the necks depending on the chamber of your rifle.

6.5 Shooter

Quote from: Kansaswoodguy on May 07, 2022, 10:59:39 PMYou may or may not need to turn the necks depending on the chamber of your rifle.

The Remington 6.5 Cm I have will need the necks turned on the exterior of the neck, my shooting buddy's Browning 6.5 CM does not need any turning.
Every rifle is its own for sure, as I have lots of factory 6.5 CM brass, I will not be using converted 308 brass.

jvw2008

Maybe that converted brass will fit in certain chambers. That doesn't mean that the necks don't need to be turned. If you don't know what your clearance is you may not be in an optimal zone. Like Grant said earlier - measure the diameter on a fired case and the diameter on a converted neck with a seated bullet. You should try to insure a 2-4 thousandths clearance.

6.5 Shooter

Quote from: jvw2008 on May 08, 2022, 05:20:15 PMMaybe that converted brass will fit in certain chambers. That doesn't mean that the necks don't need to be turned. If you don't know what your clearance is you may not be in an optimal zone. Like Grant said earlier - measure the diameter on a fired case and the diameter on a converted neck with a seated bullet. You should try to insure a 2-4 thousandths clearance.

They most likely will need turning for sure to get proper clearance, I have lots of 6.5CM brass to use in my rifle.
308 brass will need more work to get them to work, it can be done  but not worth it if you have lots of proper brass.
I was merely saying that it can be done with work to the cases.

jvw2008

Yep and there is nothing wrong with learning how to do the correct steps. Gives a little insight into the wildcatting process.

NightForce

Quote from: gman47564 on May 07, 2022, 03:12:38 PMTry measuring the neck on a fired 6.5 creedmoor case and then measure the neck on one of your 308 cases with a bullet seated in it..

BINGO! It's a numbers game but with a little planning and patience things will prove or disprove your actions.

eas1949

I made about 500 Creedmoor cases from new Lake City cases.  Made it years ago when I first joined the forum and only Hornady brass was available.  It's easy to make and works well.

First make sure the brass is new or annealed.
Lube well and run through a Redding Creedmoor body die.
Then I cut down the excess neck with my Wilson case trimmer and a power driver attachment such as an electric screwdriver or drill.

Then just expand the neck and outside neck turn to the desired wall thickness.  I use the PMA tool.

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart