News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

6 mm dasher

Started by gman47564, May 04, 2021, 07:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman47564

Been a good while since i screwed one together even though i have been wanting to for awhile.. but with the way components are i have been holding off.. dave sent me over the edge the other day when he listed his dasher for sale.. i had full intentions of taking the barreled action off his hands when he said he would part it out if need be.. what i didnt realize at the time was i couldnt run a magazine with the target action he had.. dang the bad luck.. any way the temptation  of it got the best of me so i ordered a 26 inch shilen select match barrel and tore apart a model 12 short action 22-250 i had for the action.. my barrel came this afternoon so i went to work on it.. put it in a orxy chassis and put a 8x32x56 hawke scope on it.. got a redding seating die for it yesterday.. still waiting on a forster full length competition sizing die.. still got to put a brake on it.. probably pull a jet blast off something and use it instead of buying another one.. probably be the weekend before i can shoot it but im excited to see what all the hype is about.. ????
Grant

autoxforfun

Looks good.  You are ahead of me on the Dasher build.  I gave Dave's offering some serious thought too but was too far down the road.  I'm deviating from my Savage roots and going with a Defiance Remington clone.  I have pretty much everything except the action which should be getting done soon....but these days, deliveries seem to all be moving out.  All the guys I shoot with say the Dasher (or really almost any of the 6BR variants) are inherently accurate and easy to tune.  Good luck and keep us posted.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Jon D

I'm pretty sure you are going to like your Dasher. I've watched the guys shoot them at 1K and every one of them shot well. Keep us posted on your progress.

gman47564

This dasher is going to shoot i believe..  :D
Shots 6, 7 and 8.
Grant

autoxforfun

Quote from: gman47564 on May 05, 2021, 05:38:10 PMThis dasher is going to shoot i believe..  :D
Shots 6, 7 and 8.

Nice !!!
Bob

DHuffman

Quote from: gman47564 on May 05, 2021, 05:38:10 PMThis dasher is going to shoot i believe..  :D
Shots 6, 7 and 8.

What brass are you running??
Dave

gman47564

Being as alpha and peterson are not to be found i had to go with norma brass.. which requires some work.. the necks have to be trimed down .050 on the norma brass.. not what i wanted but all i could find for now..
Grant

DHuffman

Yeah I'm familiar with the Norma / Lapua chamber difference.

You'll want to shoot those Normas with a moderate load at least one if not two firings to set the pockets. I've read lots of reports of them getting loose early if you go straight to full house loads.

I've got a couple Norma Dasher reamers, bought them basically to wildcat with for the extra neck.
Dave

autoxforfun

Grant, what powder did you end up using with the Dasher.  I hear that Varget or RL-15 work well.

I was fortunate enough back in January to get some Alpha brass but I also picked up a bit of Norma as well.  There is a lot brass than needs to come off the necks of Norma to say the least.
Bob

MJeff23

Quote from: autoxforfun on May 06, 2021, 11:56:19 AMGrant, what powder did you end up using with the Dasher.  I hear that Varget or RL-15 work well.

I've had tremendous success with Varget, N140 and H4895 in my Dasher.  Mediocre results with IMR4166 (never could get SD's below 15).  I left Varget on the last shortage and N140 is my go-to powder. 
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

jvw2008

H4895 has been my go to from the beginning. It continues to do well for me. Heard good things on the N140. I would like to give it a spin if I can ever get my hands on some.

gman47564

Bob i have only shot 20 rounds through it.. not a fan of varget and got a couple other carts that my 4895 stash is put back for so i have been using imr4166.. to fire form my brass with.
I shold also add im breaking my barrel in and fire forming that brass with the 103 gr. Blems i got from midway..
Grant

autoxforfun

Quote from: MJeff23 on May 06, 2021, 12:13:02 PMI've had tremendous success with Varget, N140 and H4895 in my Dasher.  Mediocre results with IMR4166 (never could get SD's below 15).  I left Varget on the last shortage and N140 is my go-to powder.

Varget seems like the default 'goto' powder among the folks I shot with.  There are some using RL-15 and indicate that it is as good as Varget.  I have heard mention of N140 but don't have any really first hand reports from fellow shooters.
Bob

autoxforfun

Quote from: gman47564 on May 06, 2021, 01:07:41 PMBob i have only shot 20 rounds through it.. not a fan of varget and got a couple other carts that my 4895 stash is put back for so i have been using imr4166.. to fire form my brass with.
I shold also add im breaking my barrel in and fire forming that brass with the 103 gr. Blems i got from midway..

What do you think your final powder will be for the Dasher?  I guess is depends a lot on what you can find.

I was curious about the 103 blems.  Did you do the same sorting as you did for the 147s?   What do you think so far?
Bob

gman47564

Im going to see what the 4166 gives me bob and go from there on powder choice.. the 103 blems i cant find anything wrong with them.. i sorted about 25 of them and lost interest in it.. they were all going in the same box.. im going to see how they shoot as well once i get 50 cases fire formed
Grant