News:

This Forum is for use by adults 18 years old or older. By continuing to use this Forum you are confirming, under the law, the you are 18 year old or older. No content shall be viewed by any person under 18 in California.

Main Menu

Just Came Out Of The Bat Cave

Started by sportacus, December 12, 2020, 12:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportacus

Not a hoarder, but always keep enough handgun, rimfire, shot shells and centerfire rifle on hand for my hunting endeavors.  When a brother is in a jam, cut some loose, always below my costs.  Rotate my oldish ammo by primer ignition on a regular basis.  Easing up.  Most concerned about thieving, drug addled sh*tbirds.  Have a rep around here.  Don't drive up on Sport without a phone call or certified letter response.  Final protective fires and range cards available for review. Sam trained me right. LOL. 

Did some detailed reading last night.  Convinced this shortage began with shortage of raw materials induced by the Covid pandemic. 
Supply chain will catch up and we will be OK, I hope.

I travel.  Securing everything I have guns and ammo related.  Take all the electronics, furniture and silverware you want.  Why I have insurance.  But, you touch my "Precious", I will go  medieval. 
If you have the shot, take it.

mnbogboy

Just got home from local hardware store...ammo case empty, except they just got a shipment of 9mm pistol ammo....must have been 100 boxes!
Also saw a couple brands of 209 shotgun primers in the muzzleloading section.  Hopefully things are getting better.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

sportacus

My unofficial God Son Kodi.  Have been expecting this call.  He put together a 6.5 Grendel for feral hogs.  A key element slipped by him.  Uncle Wayne has it covered. Happy to do it.  He saved me thousands of dollars when he came over after Hurricane Laura and cleaned this place up with mine and his Kubota tractors.

missippyman

I went to one of our LGS the other day and all they had on the ammo shelves was a fair supply of 7.62X39. About 100 boxes of Wolf and half as many boxes of Winchester. On the rest of the ammo shelves they had Plano ammo cans and surplus military ammo cans.

CaptGrumpy

I have been to a few of the stores like Sportsman's & Cabela's and the ammo shelves look like the Buttcoin (toiletpaper) shelves did in March. 17HMR is even starting to disappear.
Chris
Yup! That is a 6.5 in my saddle scabbard

sportacus

Guy doing my dozer work has been reloading since he was thirteen.  Worked a side deal.  I have "some" powder and bullets.  Give him a touch and he will make me some 6.5 PRC and 35 Whelen.  Did a pretty thorough search.  Could not find any  6.5 PRC die sets.  Wanted the 35's in 180 and 200 Speer Hot-Cor.  No 35 cal bullets of any type in the sites I searched. OK for a couple of deer seasons but should have been paying closer attention

DHuffman

I'm on the low side for 6.5 projectiles as well. A little bit of a lot of bullets but not enough to take a new stick and do a full blown thorough tune on one.

There was a time when I thought I may have been getting a little carried away on components and now I realize I could have done better.
Dave

mnbogboy

Found some IMR 4451 on Midway last week ordered 3# came yesterday.
Have less than 2# each of  h4831sc,  imr4831,  h4350
and even less Varget,  imr4895,  imr4198
Have some bullets (140 Gold Dots) on backorder for 2 months now! And several hundred assorted lots of 6.5,  .257,  some .243, & .224.
Plenty of brass in a variety of calibers.
Those components are worthless without primers.

Primer inventory:
114 cci 200s
116 cci 250s
151 federal 210s
49 WW srp
151 Rem 6-1/2
29 "repurposed" cci 200s
Looks like 35 cci200s or cci250s in primed 6.5-06 cases (have to check to see what i was using).
Also found 25 rounds of 25-06 loaded in 2009 & 2010 that have remington primers in them.  No 25-06 left in the stable so i will pull them down & "repurpose".

Looks like about 670 bangs before primers are all gone.  Saving all the "hulls" waiting for our forum "chemists" to re-invent priming compound!...lol
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

missippyman

I think things are starting to look up. I went to our LGS a few weeks ago and they had 3 powders on the shelves, I picked up a couple pounds of Clays. Flash forward to this week and they had 5 more listed on the web site. Their site is a little different though, you can buy primers and powder on the web site (when they have it) but you can only pick them up in store, they don't ship powder or primers. I picked up a pound of H380 this week. If any of you could see the size of my town you would understand how big this is. This is the only place locally that sells reloading gear. Lets keep the faith.

mnbogboy

Quote from: missippyman on July 19, 2021, 08:36:51 PMI think things are starting to look up. I went to our LGS a few weeks ago and they had 3 powders on the shelves, I picked up a couple pounds of Clays. Flash forward to this week and they had 5 more listed on the web site. Their site is a little different though, you can buy primers and powder on the web site (when they have it) but you can only pick them up in store, they don't ship powder or primers. I picked up a pound of H380 this week. If any of you could see the size of my town you would understand how big this is. This is the only place locally that sells reloading gear. Lets keep the faith.
Things may be looking up here too. My legs guy had a pound of h4350, which I grabbed and a couple other that I don't use h380, h1000 & retumbo. Still no primers in sight. He will get a hold of me when they come in also he's got a couple ofv8 pound h4350svcomung in and tied y name to them.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

mnbogboy

Quote from: mnbogboy on September 04, 2021, 01:13:31 PMThings may be looking up here too. My legs guy had a pound of h4350, which I grabbed and a couple other that I don't use h380, h1000 & retumbo. Still no primers in sight. He will get a hold of me when they come in also he's got a couple ofv8 pound h4350svcomung in and tied y name to them.
I see an outfit on line listing in stock primers PRORELOADS. does anyone have experience with them?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

DHuffman

Quote from: mnbogboy on September 04, 2021, 01:15:13 PMI see an outfit on line listing in stock primers PRORELOADS. does anyone have experience with them?

Quick Google search provides reviews and they don't look good
Dave

sportacus

Went to a small shop in Olla, LA and the Spotted Dog in Columbia, LA yesterday.  Pretty good selection at both.  No limits.  The small shop even had three selections of 7 WSM which is tough to find even in good times. Could buy 270 Win, 308 and 30-06 hunting ammo by the case at the Dog.  If, you had Lending Tree on speed dial and they could do a quick cash out loan.  Niece called me and said Academy in Alexandria had ammo, 4 box limit.  I called.  9mm and 5.56/223.  Don't need that.  Young friend Kodi called me today.  Security Sporting Goods in Alexandria had 6.5 PRC, 6.5CM and 6.5 Grendel.
Things are looking up.  Have to take my truck in Thursday for some recall work.  They said plan on 4 hours.  My brother will pick me up at the Toyota dealership and we will roam within a 20 mile radius of Alex looking for ammo and components.

mnbogboy

Quote from: HufD63 on September 04, 2021, 04:28:54 PMQuick Google search provides reviews and they don't look good
Certainly they do look crooked.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

LeadHammer

The hardest thing to find up here is bullets.