Skip to main content
Topic: Low speed out of the tikka  (Read 1540 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Low speed out of the tikka

Reply #15
Shaun, did you see the powder burns from the muzzle on that target? 😱

Reply #16
Josh at PVA does great work.  I've had a couple of others very close to that, but not that good.  I measured and weighed everything, cases, bullets and even the primers, waved a chicken and threw some bones in the air and got that group.  Will probably never do it again, but thats the quality work you can expect from him.  So his barrel and actions jobs will shoot better than you.

Reply #17
Usually cut rifle barrels pick up a lot of speed. Hammer forged and button rifling don't gain too much speed.

FYI. If your gun starts to shoot like crap check your MV. My Proof barrel really fell off and cleaning it wouldn't bring it back. I checked my MV and it had sped up and was out of it's accuracy node. I backed of the powder charge and it went back to its happy place.
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

Reply #18
Grant:

I now have two Tikka T3X TAC A1 rifles.  I have data on almost every shot I have taken from each using a Labradar.  Early on in my 6.5 adventure I purchased QuickLoad to assist in load development and was quickly (pun intended) frustrated as the speeds did not match without some heavy duty tinkering with burn rates and bullet weights.  I assumed it was an issue with the program.  My measured speeds were 50-60 FPS slower than Quickload calculated which I consider to be so far off the mark as to be useless.

After a proper break-in of Shoot 1 & Clean X5; Shoot 3 & Clean X3; and Shoot 5 & Clean X2 I started to measure groups and speeds.  To my surprise, the new rifle exactly match Quickload predictions and is 40-50 FPS faster than the first gun.

Here is an average of multiple shots using 147 grn Hornady 147 ELD Match projectiles, Lapua brass, 42.5 grns. H4350 and a CCI 450 primer at a very similar seating depths:

Old Tikka: 2664 FPS
New Tikka: 2705 FPS

I just find that interesting.  The older gun has been like that since new.

Henryrifle

Reply #19
I did the break in thing as well heneryrifle. Thanks for the information. I'm sure it will speed up a little with a few more rounds down it .
Grant

Reply #20
Grant,
This thread got my attention.  Bought the same rifle last year with intent to turn it into a lightweight, long range killer for the "Princess".  Got it at a ridiculously low price from Cheaper Than Dirt.  Safe queen.  All I have done is tweak trigger to 2.5.  Tikka's are easy.  Will monitor your progress.  Have never heard of a Tikka that was not a sub .5 MOA rifle  Doing hunting season prep so will clean this one up tomorrow and start break-in.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #21
I also want to add that accuracy was never an issue.  I pulled out the older Tikka two weeks ago and shot a .3 with it using ammo made 3 months prior.  This 5-shot group includes a cold (not clean) barrel shot -- top left is old tikka with slower barrel.  Other shots are load development with new tikka.  All at 100 yards.

Some of that horizontal spread is me.  I broke my neck and back in 5 places in April and am working to regain strength and stamina while shooting prone.  Yes, that was an excuse but it's a good one :)

Henryrifle

Reply #22
Sportacus you get that tikka broke in good you may find your rap parked in the safe. I have a rap in 243 and it shoots good but took a little work. To get it to in the form of a boyds stock and some trigger work. The tikka will keep her stock as it seems pretty ridged as is. And after adjusting the trigger it's nice as well. The action is smooth as butter.. feeds great from the mag.. I'm very pleased with it so far. Other than it being a little slow but expect it to speed up..

Henry looks like yours are shooting well also. Good shooting.
Grant

Reply #23
@gman47564 load up another 100 rounds and give it a good floggin'
Dave

Reply #24
Plan on it over the weekend Dave. Lol
Grant

Reply #25
My Tikka C.T.R. 20" picked up alotta speed after 100-150 rds infact using Lapua Brass and 40.5 gr Varget I'm squeezing 2750 fps out of it with 140's

I have the same rifle and I'm wondering what the OAL is?

Reply #26
My Tikka T3x SS Lite 24" barrel is also slow and it hasn't sped up much after over 600 rounds. 44.3 grs H4350 only gives me 2750fps on the Labradar. No sign of any high pressure. Lapua brass, CCI 450 primers. Barrel never seems to copper foul. Didn't do any barrel special break in procedure as I gave that caper up years ago.

Not a problem except I just a little more powder than most for a similar velocity.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...
 ...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Reply #27
Could it be your lot of powder?  I had a slow lot of RL16. When I opened the new jug I had to drop down 1.5 grains to get roughly the same speed.
RPR 6.5 Creedmoor
Bergara 6 Creedmoor

Reply #28
Could it be your lot of powder?  I had a slow lot of RL16. When I opened the new jug I had to drop down 1.5 grains to get roughly the same speed.

I originally thought that might be the case however, it's my second lot of 1lb H4350 - this one is batch #1040215 5358. The first 1lb was similar in velocity (didn't record the batch number) and so is AR2209 which is what H4350 is repackaged by Hodgdon.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
 ...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!

Reply #29
Mine may have just been reading slow for whatever reason by my magnetospeed.  According to my applied ballistic app using drop at known distances it's saying my 143 eldx is running 2750 so I'm wondering if my battery is getting low in the magnetospeed.  Had it a couple years now and havnt changed it.
Grant