News:

To support the forum with your donation, please check https://tinyurl.com/4vv24dup.

Main Menu

What can a LabRadar chrono do that a MagnetoSpeed V3 can't?

Started by Litehiker, March 23, 2017, 06:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Litehiker

I read that Ultra long range shooters are shifting to radar for chronographing bullets. Why?

Eric B.
"I can stop buying guns and gun stuff anytime I want - I've done it hundreds of times."

Stugotz

Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

Cleveland48

Not 100% sure, but I believe with the labradar you can measure velocity at different ranges besides just at the muzzle.

Stugotz

Quote from: Cleveland48 on March 23, 2017, 08:02:10 PMNot 100% sure, but I believe with the labradar you can measure velocity at different ranges besides just at the muzzle.
You are correct sir!  8)
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

txcas

Quote from: Litehiker on March 23, 2017, 06:58:00 PMI read that Ultra long range shooters are shifting to radar for chronographing bullets. Why?

Eric B.
1. The Magnetospeed attaches to the muzzle and changes POI.  Labradar does not.
2. The Labradar can measure speeds down range, the magneto speed only gets you muzzle speed.
3. The Magnetospeed needs different configurations/muzzle attachments for different rifles, for suppressed vs. unsuppressed, etc.
4. The Labradar literally takes one or two minutes to setup. 
5. Labradar can measure the speed of arrows.
I sold my Magnetospeed v3 and bought a Labradar.  The Labradar is so easy to use, that I take it with me every time I got to the range.  It was the key for my 6.5 Creedmoor loads development.

stevenc23

Both are great chronographs and like most things they both have pros and cons.  I have and use both depending on the situation.  What I really like about the Labradar is I don't have to worry about changes in POI.   But if you are shooting on a crowded range, the magnetospeed is nice since it is not "tripped" by other firearms.  Also the magnetospeed works well with my suppressed 22LR

Fuj

Can't really say at this point. I just got my tracking number for UPS
though..... ;)  I will say it does take a bite out of funds but, Pa. gave
back to me a property tax rebate, which offset the cost. Now, I
would have bought the Magnetospeed, but if you know me, I would
have made another way to attach it without messing with the barrel.
A long picatinny mount on an AR flavor rifle would be an easy do.
Standard stocks would require a few more beers. Or just make an
adaptor attached to your sled, if using one of those just for accuracy
work.

At this point, I understand the Radar will register the speed out to
100 yards. Murphy's law dictates that the day my radar arrives, version 2
will be announced !!

stormin_moorman

What i like about Lab is that i can set it up and just do my normal shooting and it records the velocities for me.  I don't even really think about it all that much.  I do run into problems when I'm at the range and a lot of other people are shooting, it records their shots and screws everything up.  Also, the Lab doesn't really like muzzle brakes.  I've had some issues with the 28 Nosler with the Lil Bastard.  Maybe i should read the instructions and figure out how to fix this....lol

One more thing, customer service appears to be non-existent with Lab.  There's no number to call and that blows.  At least with Magneto you can speak to someone, from Texas no less.  And those guys are cool as shit
Wind is hard...that's what she said.

txcas

Quote from: stormin_moorman on March 24, 2017, 07:14:56 AMWhat i like about Lab is that i can set it up and just do my normal shooting and it records the velocities for me.  I don't even really think about it all that much.  I do run into problems when I'm at the range and a lot of other people are shooting, it records their shots and screws everything up.  Also, the Lab doesn't really like muzzle brakes.  I've had some issues with the 28 Nosler with the Lil Bastard.  Maybe i should read the instructions and figure out how to fix this....lol

One more thing, customer service appears to be non-existent with Lab.  There's no number to call and that blows.  At least with Magneto you can speak to someone, from Texas no less.  And those guys are cool as shit
One thing you can do to prevent your Labradar from registering shots from other people, is to lower the trigger level sensitivity.  I usually set mine to 3.  I shoot with both muzzle breaks and suppressors.  Check this video:
https://youtu.be/2Hm5RlnhhWo
It tells you exactly where your muzzle needs to be depending on the muzzle device that you are using.  Yes the instruction manual is very helpful, but the YouTube videos from LabRadar are even better.  After you read the manual and watch the videos, you will be able to tell who did not read the manual before posting a negative review on YouTube.  8)

txcas

Quote from: stormin_moorman on March 24, 2017, 07:14:56 AMOne more thing, customer service appears to be non-existent with Lab.  There's no number to call and that blows.  At least with Magneto you can speak to someone, from Texas no less.  And those guys are cool as shit
From Labradar's website:
You can also call us at 316-866-2525 (M-F, 8:00 - 5:00 Central Time Zone)

stormin_moorman

Quote from: txcas on March 24, 2017, 09:54:47 AMFrom Labradar's website:
You can also call us at 316-866-2525 (M-F, 8:00 - 5:00 Central Time Zone)

You're like Rob01, except with LabRadar instead of Hornady
Wind is hard...that's what she said.

dadajack

Quote from: Fuj on March 24, 2017, 07:10:03 AMStandard stocks would require a few more beers. Or just make an
adaptor attached to your sled, if using one of those just for accuracy
work.

An adapter for the sling swivel would be needed to maintain the 1/4" offset from the bottom of the bore. Of course, then you have to engineer a leveling and height adjustment, but, that is why we drink... right? :))
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

dadajack

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
I have a lot of guns... There, I said it.

txcas

Quote from: stormin_moorman on March 24, 2017, 09:57:10 AMYou're like Rob01, except with LabRadar instead of Hornady
But I get no sponsorship at all from Labradar, I am just a happy customer. ;)  

Fuj

Quote from: dadajack on March 24, 2017, 09:57:52 AMAn adapter for the sling swivel would be needed to maintain the 1/4" offset from the bottom of the bore. Of course, then you have to engineer a leveling and height adjustment, but, that is why we drink... right? :))

Yes Sir !! Spent over 40 years solving and creating problems.....LOL
And I like to say, it's the primary reason I put a mini fridge under my
work bench. Sometimes it's the perfect tool, and within' reach, when
things go south......eh'.....LOL

Wish my damn barrel would get here. It's actually a part of the puzzle
for making my Radar's platform. Idea's within' ideas.