Shooting and Loading the Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor

Started by txcas, February 17, 2010, 07:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampthang

ITS STILL A MYSTERY THEN,
AFTER 520 ROUNDS LOGGED IM STILL ON THE ORIGINAL 8LB OF POWDER I BOUGHT. TO A SHOOTER AND NOT A GUNSMITH MINDED GUY LIKE ME I WOULD THINK THAT A HI QUALITY BARRELL LIKE BARTLEIN IN A 1:8 TWIST WOULD SHOOT PRETTY DAMN CLOSE TO EACH OTHER WITH THE SAME LOAD. WE ALMOST SHOOT THE SAME LOAD-FED PRIMERS-HORNADY BRASS- 4350 (GIVE OR TAKE A FEW GRAINS)AND A 140 GR BULLET BUT VERY VERY DIFFRENT VELOCITIES.
"kill em all"

gorillamotors

Swampthing,
You may have already done this but exchange reloads. Fire some of his reloads in your rifle and have him fire some of yours (assuming you trust each others reloads) and check the results.
Jim Harris
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid". Sgt Stryker

GroundHog

i get 2815 m.v. with 42.3 H-4350 M12 lrp 26"and 142 SMK.  got 2920 with PPro with E-swipe not to bad.

Cold Trigger Finger

Swampthing ; I think it must be your lot of powder. . I think trading loads or get a 1 lb can of the same powder but different lot # .
 I have had dramatically different results in different rifles over the years from different lots of different powders.  .

I do believe there are fast and slow barrels but I'de bet it is just a slow lot of powder. 
 One way to eliminate your barrel as being the culprit is to just try a box of factory ammo and chronograph it.  Or a hand load of known velocity in a different rifle and see what your speed is. 
 But I would just try a pound of a different lot # first. 

I may not be a target shooter but in over 30 years of reloading and using chronographs for 25 years have picked up a few tips on getting the Max safe speed from a bullet.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

mark

Quote from: yura.odessit on April 18, 2013, 06:14:36 PMHere is some loads Ran through Quick load. It was taken from different forum
Cartridge : 6.5 Creedmoor Hornady
Bullet : .264, 120, Nosler BalTip 26120
Useable Case Capaci: 48.970 grain H2O = 3.180 cm³
Cartridge O.A.L. L6: 2.800 inch = 71.12 mm
Barrel Length : 26.0 inch = 660.4 mm

Predicted Data for Indicated Charges of the Following Powders.
Matching Maximum Pressure: 61000 psi, or 420 MPa
or a maximum loading ratio or filling of 111 %
These calculations refer to your specified settings in QuickLOAD 'Cartridge Dimensions' window.
C A U T I O N : any load listed can result in a powder charge that falls below minimum suggested
loads or exceeds maximum suggested loads as presented in current handloading manuals. Understand
that all of the listed powders can be unsuitable for the given combination of cartridge, bullet
and gun. Actual load order can vary, depending upon lot-to-lot powder and component variations.
USE ONLY FOR COMPARISON !

131 loads produced a Loading Ratio below user-defined minimum of 90%. These powders have been skipped.
Powder type Filling/Loading Ratio Charge Charge Vel. Prop.Burnt P max P muzz B_Time
% Grains Gramm fps % psi psi ms
---------------------------------
IMR 4831 107.4 46.4 3.01 3085 100.0 61000 9052 1.185 ! Near Maximum !

Am I reading this right? 46.4 grains is a compressed load of IMR4831 and near max?

Thanks
Mark

bbowles

Great info! Not sure what a few of the numbers mean. Anyone help with the jargon? Thanks

Cold Trigger Finger

If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

87wrangler

I have read from a couple shooters that they are using H380 for the 140 amax. Does anyone have any info on H380? I have a great load in the 308 with it and have ample stock on hand. Would love to use it in the creedmoor, but no load data.

Eynhallow

The Lee Second Edition reloading manual lists H380 for 140 grain Amax.  Load range = 34.5 grains - 38,5 grains. I have managed a 0.597" 5 shot group with 35.0 grains of the stuff under a 140 Amax.  By the way, check the Hodgdon site.  It lists a load for H380 as well.
Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.

Rob01

Eynhallow

I did not shoot this load over a chronograph, so my best estimate would be somewhere around 2400fps
Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.

X-Pilot

Quote from: Rob01 on July 26, 2013, 03:13:45 PMHonestly it probably boils down to three things as the brass, primers and although the bullets aren't the same they should be close enough. Slower barrel, chamber dimensions and different lot of powder. Slower barrels happen. Just one of those things.

Chamber reamers aren't all the same either. A new reamer will be slightly larger than one that has been sharpened over the years. The reamer GAP used in my set back barrel above was the original reamer they used when building those first Creedmoor rifles of ours 5 years ago. Over that time it's been sharpened and does get minimally smaller in doing so. I actually gained about 60-80fps, depending on load and lot of ammo, over my 28" barrel when I had it set back. The chamber is the only thing that changed besides the barrel being 1.5" shorter.

And of course lots of powder will be slightly different. Any one or a small combination of all of them might be doing it.
I believe a 1-8 twist will be slower than a 1-9 twist, are all the barrels the same twist?
Sometimes the best is in the waiting

daved41

Actually 1:8 is faster than 1:9 - the bullet rotates 360 degrees in 8" of barrel travel = less time than the 1:9 which takes 9" of travel.

onebadmofo

Quote from: Cold Trigger Finger on October 17, 2013, 02:57:32 PMSwampthing ; I think it must be your lot of powder. .

We must have the same 8# lot.......... I can't get my H4350 to work like others I have moved to Varget and it I better but slower, this week I got in 2# of RE17 I will be trying.

Rob01

Quote from: X-Pilot on August 25, 2015, 04:07:38 PM
Quote from: Rob01 on July 26, 2013, 03:13:45 PMHonestly it probably boils down to three things as the brass, primers and although the bullets aren't the same they should be close enough. Slower barrel, chamber dimensions and different lot of powder. Slower barrels happen. Just one of those things.

Chamber reamers aren't all the same either. A new reamer will be slightly larger than one that has been sharpened over the years. The reamer GAP used in my set back barrel above was the original reamer they used when building those first Creedmoor rifles of ours 5 years ago. Over that time it's been sharpened and does get minimally smaller in doing so. I actually gained about 60-80fps, depending on load and lot of ammo, over my 28" barrel when I had it set back. The chamber is the only thing that changed besides the barrel being 1.5" shorter.

And of course lots of powder will be slightly different. Any one or a small combination of all of them might be doing it.
I believe a 1-8 twist will be slower than a 1-9 twist, are all the barrels the same twist?

Must have missed this months back. Lol 8 twist is faster as mentioned and that example was the same barrel so everything the same except length and chamber.