News:

New Members start here.

Main Menu

Nature's Best (pics)

Started by jvw2008, October 11, 2014, 11:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longhair

Quote from: jvw2008 on May 23, 2019, 07:44:56 PMSo fragile and yet so resilient. Great picture Longhair.
Thanks!
I agree too. They are amazingly tough creatures. Anything that can live out in the elements year-round has my respect.
Stay Out Of My Psychosis!

Longhair

Yesterday morning I got up and happened to see a woodchuck in my side yard. So even before my first cup of coffee or first smoke I grabbed my Ruger Precision Rimfire (suppressed) crept out on my deck, and shot him in the head. Buzzards gotta eat, so I took him out front and tossed him in the road. Well, to my surprise nothing touched him all day. Nobody even ran him over with a car/truck/tractor....until this morning.

After getting smushed this morning by someone, a buzzard did stop by briefly, but then he was gone and I figured that what was left would just get ground up and feed flies. WRONG! I looked out a few minutes ago and this was what I saw.

DHuffman

Dave

mnbogboy

11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

rardoin

I wasn't aware that BE's will eat carrion.  Great pic!

Longhair

I wish that the pics were clearer, but that's what I get for taking them with an auto-focus camera through a dirty window.

rardoin

Not the best images but I was playing an owl call in my back yard and got a pair of Barred Owl's panties in a knot for a bit :D .

rardoin

Quote from: Longhair on July 06, 2020, 02:01:08 PMI wish that the pics were clearer, but that's what I get for taking them with an auto-focus camera through a dirty window.

Looks pretty darn good to me.  He busted you BTW. ;D

Longhair

Quote from: rardoin on July 06, 2020, 02:07:23 PMNot the best images but I was playing an owl call in my back yard and got a pair of Barred Owl's panties in a knot for a bit :D .
Owls are too cool! And those are GREAT pics!
Someday I'll relate a funny hunting story that involves owls and almost caused my demise.

mnbogboy

Quote from: rardoin on July 06, 2020, 01:52:57 PMI wasn't aware that BE's will eat carrion.  Great pic!
These raptors are adaptors. They are a regular feature on car killed deer around here all year around.
I think there are more bald eagles around than anytime in modern history. They have evolved from predators to scavengers maybe because of improper management of other species.  We all know how some groups like to "manage" to their liking and often try to remove man from the balance of nature.  The absence of trapping in some areas have caused wild swings in the food chain due to overpopulation & then disease. Wiping out nearly whole populations of prey in a cycle leaves predators that survive not much choice.  Improper forest management in some areas is also a contributor, again a product of the agenda based culture leaking out of our universities.
True science is being ignored in many facits of our lives by this "me" generation.
Tough getting anyone to look at the big picture.

But I do love seeing the eagles!
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

chazwood

Quote from: mnbogboy on July 06, 2020, 04:46:46 PMThese raptors are adaptors. They are a regular feature on car killed deer around here all year around.
I think there are more bald eagles around than anytime in modern history. They have evolved from predators to scavengers maybe because of improper management of other species.  We all know how some groups like to "manage" to their liking and often try to remove man from the balance of nature.  The absence of trapping in some areas have caused wild swings in the food chain due to overpopulation & then disease. Wiping out nearly whole populations of prey in a cycle leaves predators that survive not much choice.  Improper forest management in some areas is also a contributor, again a product of the agenda based culture leaking out of our universities.
True science is being ignored in many facits of our lives by this "me" generation.
Tough getting anyone to look at the big picture.

But I do love seeing the eagles!

A very similar thing has happened over here with our wedge tail eagle. Be fore covid and I could go to matches I was driving across the Hay plains and in the space of a couple of hours I'd seen more eagles than I had in the pass 2 or 3 year's. All eating road kill.
 Talking to a mate that managers his family farm, he was saying they shoot kangaroos every few days to feed them so they don't kill live stock.

Cold Trigger Finger

Quote from: rardoin on July 06, 2020, 01:52:57 PMI wasn't aware that BE's will eat carrion.  Great pic!

Oh ya. They are eating machines. They will eat anything that will hold still long enough .  They also hunt. But will generally take the easiest meal they can find. It's pretty cool watching them fish. They keep an eye on whales and sea lions and seals . And are in the air in the vicinity when those marine mammals are fishing.
  Often the marine mammals swim under a school of herring or salmon , and the fish swim up to the surface. Iggles swoop down and grab their groceries.????
 But they will also clean up a deer gut pile in short order.
 Same with watching wolf packs.
 Iggles are equal opportunity eaters. I've seen them catch mice, kill and eat ravens and seagulls and ducks and fish. They will make lunch of your chickens too.
 And kill fawns, Mt Goat kids and Dall sheep lambs. Cats and puppies are fair game for them too.
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.

Stugotz

I've always thought this shot was uber Kuhl!      8)
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

Stugotz

I snapped this photo with my cell phone last fall.
Yes, I realize speling is a chalunge for sum of us...I am inkluded in that grup, so pleze fourgiv me. Ski-U-Mah!

bikemutt

This one's a bit dated, May 20 2020, but I only just noticed this thread which makes me dated as well I guess :)) .

We were sitting in the family room watching TV when we felt as if we were the one's being watched, and we were!

Not sure what kind of hawk this is, but it sure was a pretty moment in nature's time I was fortunate to capture.

Chris