Skip to main content
Topic: Tompson contender? (Read 200 times) previous topic - next topic

Tompson contender?

WHOS GOT A tompson contender? Im thinking about biying one.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Re: Tompson contender?

Reply #1
I had had a few.  Shooting IHMSA with them back in the 80's.  They are accurate.  A lot depends on what calibers you choose.  You will like it.
Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Reply #2
What is your caliber preference Eric - for accuracy?

Reply #3
I shot a 7mm TCU, however you dont see that too often anymore.  They made 10 and 14 in barrels back then and mine was 10 if I recall.  I believe if I were to buy one now a 6BR would be a good choice.  You don't see the 7BR much anymore either.  A lot depends on the purpose.

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Reply #4
I think the 6BR would be a fun gun.

Reply #5
The one im loominv at crom him is 223-14" wish i would have kept my 223 dies, gave them to my son for the granddaughters 223 i put togethor for her. If i buy any spare barrels 6br is already on my bucket list. Could come in hanfy cor other projects.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #6
Everyone should have a 6 BR at some time for the uncanny accuracy, efficiency and easy to load for experience the cartridge is known for.
Dave

Reply #7
I have one in 204 Ruger.   Laser beam to 300yrds.  Anything after that with a 32gn bullet in wind, good luck.  Wish I had more time to play with it.
Tell me about the rabbits George, tell me about the rabbits.......

Reply #8
Philbie, what velocity are you able to generate with the pistol barrel. Are you using a 10” or 14”?

Reply #9
Jerry,  I dug thru 11yrs of notes.  Most of which were from 22-250.  All I could find was 28gn of XBR and Nosler 32gn varmint bullets.  Best guess 4200fps out of a 20" tube.

Had the info on Strelok but that devised cashed out a while back.
Tell me about the rabbits George, tell me about the rabbits.......

Reply #10
I figured the short barrel would result in slower velocity. Was just wondering how much slower.

Reply #11
I have a TC Encore Pro Hunter Pistol in 7mm-08
Stainless,  synthetic,  with a  15"  fluted barrel.
Killed a few Deer with it.  I used to like burning ammo,  at the Range (LOL)
Don't know the MV,  but,  it's definitely,  a 2 handed Pistol. :))
Win. Brass
Win LRP
41.4 Gr Varget
Hornady 139 gr BTSP
Some Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfA-hjQaVm0

Mark

Reply #12
I've got 3 frames, and about 6 different barrels. All are 14" except 1 - 16.25". Easiest to shoot is the 22lr, and the most accurate is the 223. That one if I do my part is capable of  cloverleaves at a 100. Velocity out of that one, runs close to what you can get out of an AR. Though with the slow twist, you're limited to the lighter bullets. Best in mine, 52gr Nosler HP. Loved taking that to the range, and blowing the "tacticool" types minds.

The 16.25" barrel is on a carbine in 7-30 Waters. That is a nice light 5lb with scope, set up that is easy to carry. Only is about 29.5 " long. Also have an unfired 7-30 Armor Alloy.  Additionally have barrels in 30Herrett and 357 MAX.
Peace was my Profession

Reply #13
The wifes nephew sold the contender st s gun show,
Now im heartbroken over where i spend my trump dollars.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #14
Not cool.... 😂
Dave