Skip to main content
Topic: Varget 135 Grain Berger Hollow Point Hybrid Load Data (Read 345 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Varget 135 Grain Berger Hollow Point Hybrid Load Data

Reply #15
Like stated slop between the pin and the hole through the bolt let a primer crater or flow back up into the gap.
The pin itself needs to have a clean radius or be rounded on the tip and have the proper protrusion or it can punch through.
Dave

Reply #16
Thank you for posting those loads, I was well within limits but it didn't matter. Still blew a hole in the primer even at the reduced load. All other loads from published loads with other powders were fine, including the S&B ammo. Someone mentioned a 'fast' Varget. Is that common? Any direct experience with powder lots being THAT different? The huge bang didn't sound right, so I immediately stopped. I even took the bullets home and took them apart, thinking I loaded them hot, but they were spot on for weight. Blew the primer hole out so hard, it ended up jammed the trigger, had to clean it out. Any suggestions would be helpful. I wonder if I should even use the stuff anymore? I have two lbs. and hate to waste it.

Reply #17
I mentioned the fast lot possibility. Lot to lot consistency or inconsistency. I heard of but never experienced it with Varget. Recently I switched lots on H 4350 and saw a 1+ grain difference.

A chronograph would make it easy to see if you're over pressuring or if it's related to primer choice or firing pin.

I'd load a few up at the starting load and try it with 450s, 41s or AR 205s, there is a danger in shooting under pressure loads as well so I'd stay at starting or more.
I did a little research and could not find Varget data from Berger for that specific bullet but saw the Hornady data for that weight range.
Dave

Reply #18
I looked up the Varget data directly on their site, and that's what I used. What's the danger in underloaded bullets, other than not making it out the barrel? Most rifles have subsonic loads, and with supersonic loads I won't be anywhere near approaching underloading at all. So many things to think about. LOL!

Reply #19
Hogdon list 37.7 for a max charge with a 135 gr. Atip.. i know its not the same bullet as your shooting but your charges should be ok.. but something is causing primers to pierce.. do you have a bore scope ? Is it a carbon ring or carbon build up..  if the pipe is clean verified with a bore scope .. then i would look at switching primers if you can find any others.. i might even take it to a smith and have him check the firing pin out ..
Grant

Reply #20
Look at the pin with a magnifying glass. It should have a nice radius to it not look like it was cut off.

Dave

Reply #21
I wonder if I should even use the stuff anymore? I have two lbs. and hate to waste it.

I never could get Varget to shoot with 6.5 CM, even with 120 gr class bullets. It's my go-to powder for 6.5 Grendel, .308, .223 and .35 Rem, just no love with 6.5 CM for me.
Chris

Reply #22
What's the danger in underloaded bullets, other than not making it out the barrel?

Low charge weights with slow powders in larger cases can prove to be disastrous. Called secondary explosion effect or something like that. Some reloading manuals show minimum loads you can't go under as well. And it doesn't always take a magnum case. Some case/powder combos just have loads they can't be under without having bad effects.

And usually with subsonic loads certain powders, usually bulkier faster powders are most oftenly used.  For most powders and cases, bottneck cases that is. Should have no less than 70% case fill to be safe loads. Pretty sure it's 70% anyways, don't quote me on that one.

I find most accurate loads in my rifles are usually very close to a hundred percent case fill or compressed loads. I'm not a fan of compressing ball powders though. Extruded powders I have some pretty heavily compressed loads I use with very good results.

Reply #23
Now I have more questions than answers. I wrote Berger and Hogdon about the blown primers holes. Hogden asked if I was using Lapua brass, with small primer holes which I was. They said the thicker brass of Lapua can cause up to a two grain overload/blown primers even going down that much as reported by their customers. If I was loading to 2.800 instead of 2.775 would that make a huge pressure difference with the bullet seated further into the lands? I went out today and damned if it didn't happen again with 135 grain Sierra metplat bullets, TMK/ with just 36 grains of Varget. Then it also happend with 33.5 grains of XBR 8208 with 135 grain Berger Hybrid bullets. Way under published loads. I took apart the 135 grain sierra and took out four grains each, down to 32 now and am hoping that the hole through the primers won't happen again. I need some wise assistance here. Thanks. BTW Hogden recommended magnum primers, which I do not have, and cannot get right now. Any ideas? Suggestions? I appreciate the help.

Reply #24
Also to add to this, it's a new rifle build, less than 100 rounds, Ballistic Advantage barrel. Could they have cut the chamber off specs?

Reply #25
Cci br4 primers might help if you could find them.. but i have to believe their is something wrong with your rifle.. the chamber is not cut right or something wrong with your firing pin.. my guess is its protruding too far out past the bolt face and needs adjusted if its adjustable.. again i would take the gun to a competent gun smith and have them check it out.. explaining to him whats going on with it..
Grant

Reply #26
I just might have to do that. As far as the firing pin goes, I shot 40 R of S&B with no problem, nice firing pin dent, and about 25 other rounds I loaded with other powders and this was what happened as well, nice dent, no problems. I have reduced the Varget down to 32 grains for the 135 grain sierra TMK bullets and am going back out to the range this week or next week and will report back on that. Someone out there must have had similar experiences? Thanks for your help. Tom.

Reply #27
I'm not sure what to tell you. I used to shoot 36.6 g Varget in a 6.5x47 Lapua. Less volume case says your Creedmoor should take more powder.

If you can't find a magnum primer I suggest you try a different powder. Thinking back anytime I've blanked a primer it's been with Varget. I blew 205Ms recently on 32g Varget in a 6 Dasher that previously shot well.

I also think you need to have a good smith evaluate the chamber, bolt head and firing pin.
I bet something's not right there.
Dave

Reply #28
Yes, I think it's gunsmith time. Thanks.

Reply #29
A couple questions.. first is will a bullet drop down in one of your fired cases? And also what does one of your fired cases measure from base to the mouth..
Grant