Skip to main content
Topic: What's your go-to, old faithful rifle? (Read 291 times) previous topic - next topic

What's your go-to, old faithful rifle?

I had great plans all week to handload and go shoot my 6.5 Creedmoor today. Time got a way from me until it was too late to get to the bench and hurry up what's supposed to be a fun, relaxing reloading session. So, what to do?

I pulled out 'ole faithful. A nothing special Savage model 10 in .223 Rem which sits in a beat up McRees chassis. I bid on this poor specimen years ago on gunbroker, had a starting bid of $350 if I recall right, figured I'd never win the auction, put in my $350 wager. Damn if I didn't win the auction! For a new-in-box rifle!

Right from the get-go this one refused to shoot above MOA with any factory ammo. Even gun show bulk shoots good though this one, Heck the Sightron scope on it cost more than twice the rifle, lol.

Today's range time left a big grin on my face, old faithful lived up to it's pledge to do right by me with some Blackhills remanufactured 69 grain, and some 77 grain Federal fodder.

Anyway, figured I talk about something other than the depressing crap all around us.

So, what's your go-to old faithful rifle?

Chris

Re: What's your go-to, old faithful rifle?

Reply #1
I've got a 6x47 that I think I can close my eye's
and shoot .25 groups.
Simple KRG Bravo chassis, muzzle brake, bipod and rear squeeze bag.

Reply #2
I bought a slightly used model 10 223 a year or so ago.. all i have shot in it is 69 gr tmk.. if there was ever a easy button that would be it.. however old faithful would probably be my Remington 788 chambered in 222
Grant

Reply #3
Factory Ruger RPR in 6.5 CM. It’s not my most accurate, easiest to shoot, or prettiest. It’s just dependable. The one I grab to go shoot steel with the neighborhood boys. I’ve gone through three barrels with the old girl and she just keeps on truckin’.

Reply #4
There has to be some savages in the bunch right now my old 110 with Shaw barrel that started life as a 260 and ive rechambered to 6.5/257 Bob Ackley 40° it wears a B&C medalist sporter stock w alum bedding block also a Timney trigger and Leupold 5x 3.5-18 tesponsible for meat collecting in several states each year. Easy to load for and usually shoots great.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #5
For target shooting my Remington 700 in a custom stock with a Brux 32" barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor.  Just about any 140 grain match bullet in front of 41.5 grains of H4350 and a CCI BR2 primer will keep in the 10 ring in F-Class if I do my part.  With Berger 140 gr. Hybrids  my best 600 yd. group was a 2.97" group off the bench.

Reply #6
Marlin 39A I got when it was 12ish, now 50. Dad wouldn't allow a semi auto .22lr.  He felt that blasting thru rounds rapidly wouldn't allow me to develop and just wasted ammo.    IMO he was right.
Tell me about the rabbits George, tell me about the rabbits.......

Reply #7
Marlin 39A I got when it was 12ish, now 50. Dad wouldn't allow a semi auto .22lr.  He felt that blasting thru rounds rapidly wouldn't allow me to develop and just wasted ammo.    IMO he was right.

Years ago I found a mint condition Marlin 39A in a musty old pawnshop. My oh my, it was a fine rifle! Accurate, reliable, and easy on the eyes. Stupidly, I traded it for a bright, shiny new object that's long gone. Dumb, dumb, dumb, wish I still had the 39A :(
Chris

Reply #8
If I want to go to the range and not work at it very much, I take my very first Savage 6.5CM.  This was the first rifle I built from scratch starting with a Left Port/Right Bolt Target action, Criterion 30" barrel and a Savage F-Class stock.  This rifle continues to perform....been thru a barrel or two but always stayed with Criterion.  Loves the Berger 140g Hybrids.

On the 223 front, I like to shoot the Savage FT-R.  Still completely factory stock with Savage 30" barrel.  It loves the Blackhills 77g remanufactured ammo....which reminds me, it is time to take it out again.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #9
Chris and Philbie, I fell in love with the Marlin 39 also.
When I was a little guy, I would go squirrel hunting with
my best friends dad and he had one. Guy could hit a squirrel
in the head from seemed like 1000yds. with iron sights.
I had to have one after that. We're talking early 80's
Best looking 22 lever gun made.

Reply #10
There is no single go-to rifle for me. If I’m out scouting, my Ruger M77 in 243 Win fits nicely in the front seat. The 280 Rem and 6.5mm Creedmoor are great for reaching out, and so is a 308 Win. I suppose it comes down to whatever I want to use and I like that.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

Reply #11
In line with The Marshall.  Usually a left hand X Bolt 6.5 CM.  If nostalgia overtakes me, a old left hand 700 in 7mm Rem Mag, a Marlin 336 C 30-30 or a Rem 7600 in 7-08.  All have been very good to me.  Great thing about 6.5 CM is that it covers must deer hunting situations.  Up close, long poke, box blind, spot and stalk, still hunt, I'm covered.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #12
Mine is Winchester Model 70.   My first 40 years ago was in 264 Win Mag.  Redfield 3x9 scope (top of the line hunter in its day, lol).  Am having my nephew refinish , rechamber/rebarrel a model 70 as I type.  Plus building a rifle using FN's SPR.  Both of these with Kreiger bbls and 6.5CM.   And bought another FN in 308.  Like-love the three position safety, its trigger and , to me, the action is quite smooth. 

Reply #13
A lot of the old time gunsmiths preferred the Model 70 Win action over the Rem 700.

Reply #14
CZ 452 Varmint HMR. Always hits where you aim, don't need to work up a load, don't need ears on, zero recoil, I think I will name it Red Mist lol.