Skip to main content
Topic: fire cracking of the steel or just hard carbon cracking.. (Read 303 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: fire cracking of the steel or just hard carbon cracking..

Reply #30
Grant, I took my 6.5-284 out and checked this yesterday.  It has around 400 rounds down the barrel and it didn't look too bad.   I did take a little extra time and cleaned it up some....not completely to bare metal.  I have a local 1000 yard match on Monday and want to shot it in the Heavy Gun relay, so I didn't want it too clean.  I also checked the 6.5 CM that I plan to shoot in the Light Gun relay and it looked pretty good so I left it alone.  I'll let you know how it goes.

For the record, I use RL-26 in the 6.5-284 and RL-16 in the CM.

Good luck in your match monday bob.. i know you will do well..
Grant

Reply #31
A couple pics of the bore of my 6mm creedmoor.. this pipe has a 1000+ rounds down it.. the first pic is the lands. Second pic is a half inch in front of the lands and the rest of the barrel looks identical.. the lands has movved forward .030 in this one.. before i started on it their was lots of fire cracking in the first 4 or 5 inches of the barrel.. a couple months ago i would have said it was time for a new pipe from just looking at it.. today not so much.. with the right stuff and effort them high rouund count pipes can live on.. i wont bore the forum any more about this but thought i would one last time.. 😁
I will also post a couple pics showing how this shot after the aggressive cleaning if they load..
Grant

Reply #32
One loaded and one wouldnt.. i had 2 in the head of that gopher at 300 and these 3 on a plate at 430.. the 6 creed is shooting as good as it ever did..
Grant

Reply #33
Great job on the clean-up.  Pretty amazing.  I think we have all learned from your experience...👍
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough