Skip to main content
Topic: New 6.5 user / beginner advice sought (Read 229 times) previous topic - next topic

New 6.5 user / beginner advice sought

Greetings,

I recently entered the Creedmoor realm after much contemplation over an entry-level long range platform.  I live in Alaska where big wild country is easy to find, as are the caribou and moose (when they consent to being seen), so I already have a solid hunting rifle setup.  That said, I wanted a new system that would provide me with the capability of LRP, but could also work if needed for hunting Caribou in big wide river valleys. 

In the end, after considering the predominately positive reviews going back years now, I settled on the Bergara B-14 HMR chambered in 6.5.

My first question to anyone with an experienced opinion on the matter is, if your scope budget was $500 - $1000, what would your recommendations be for setting this rifle up to successfully learn the basics and get accurate out to 1,000 yds?  I have done my own research already on "budget" optics that are proving to be reliable for LR, but I value what insight any of you are willing to share.

Second question is on suppressors and muzzle brakes.  Given that the HMR has a threaded 22" barrel, it's an obvious candidate for either one of those accessories...but is there any benefit to putting a brake on a 6.5?  If any of you have suppressors, what would you recommend?

Thanks, and I look forward to reading your replies.

Re: New 6.5 user / beginner advice sought

Reply #1
welcome to the forum jhypers... with a 1000 dollar budget for glass i would recomend a vortex gen 2 pst 5x25x50... you can get them for around 850 bucks ... i have several of them and they are a really good scope in my opinion... i shoot out to a 1000 yards every now and then and they serve my needs well... cant help ya with a suppressor... i run brakes on all my long range guns... makes it easier to see hits through  the scope and makes shooting the guns more pleasant when sending 40 or 50 rounds down range at a setting..
Grant

Reply #2
I wish I could shoot to 1000 yards but, even though I can't, when it comes to glass I'm a Sightron fanboy.

All my centerfire rifles have brakes, just makes it easier on my shoulder, and what gman47564 said, easier to spot your hits (or misses, nah).

I have a 30 cal suppressor I can use but rarely do; I'll reserve it for my dream TX hog hunt, the one I've been dreaming of for the last 5 years :(

Chris

Reply #3
I'd agree with Grant on a scope within that budget in my experience. Sightron makes very good scopes as well but with no experience there I couldn't make a reccomendation on them.

Muzzle brakes are very effective, some more than others and some more miserable to the shooter than others. Someday I'd like to have a dedicated hunting rifle with a suppressor but can't seem to get past all the cost, paperwork and the hoops to jump through.
Seems crazy as hell that hearing protection should be such a big deal to me.
Dave

Reply #4
Welcome JHypers. You made a very good rifle choice and I’m sure you will do the same with a scope. I like the prior recommendations  - good warranties on both. You will get better recoil management with a brake and for hunting that is probably more important than suppression. I use a suppressor and throughly enjoy shooting without having to wear hearing protection but for a hunting application I would prioritize the brake. You might look at a Little Bastard or one of the offerings from Patriot Valley Arms.

Reply #5
Welcome JHypers.  An Alaska trip is on my bucket list.  I am a newbie to all of this and very thankful for all of the great advice, recommendations and  explanations from this group.  You can learn a lot. 
I am also looking at a brake for my 6.5 and look forward to seeing the recommendations on the brakes these guys use.

Reply #6
The two offerings jvw2008 recommended is the only brakes i use now.. have tried others but for one reason or another i wasnt satisfied with them. But the little bastard is a good brake and also the jet blast brake from pva is a really good brake.. cant go wrong with either one
Grant

Reply #7
I think Sightron has great glass, but the reticles, at least what I have seen, seem to be behind the others. Brake on the 6.5 helps, just need to watch your ears when you shoot. I wear 3m earplugs hunting. Insite Arms Heathen brake is good too.

Reply #8
APA brakes, in my experience, offer the best recoil reduction, both in shoulder push and muzzle rise.

I happen to like the Area 419 Hellfire brake system; one brake per caliber, multiple brake adapters. I will admit the recoil reduction is not quite as good as the APA Lil Bastard, but timing the brake is stupidly easy, removing/reinstalling the brake for cleaning the muzzle crown, or running it on another rifle is a cakewalk.

IMO, APA thinks more of their self-timing claims than shows up in reality, YMMV or course.
Chris

Reply #9
In that price range I like the Vortex PST Gen2 and the Athlon Midas TAC HD.  They are probably the best bang for buck scopes.  As someone mentioned the Little Bastard brake is great.  It is noticeably better than many other brakes I've tried, but you NEED you ears on with it. 

Reply #10
Thank you for all the great advice, especially on the muzzle brake options.  I will definitely be looking into those in short order.

Those of you who recommended the Vortex PST, the MSRP is over my budget, but thankfully one of my hunting partners has an "in" with someone who sources them for half retail, so I would say it's in the running.

I had never heard of Sightron before reading the replies, so I'm glad to know of yet another optics option.  Unless I'm missing something, their website does not show pricing, nor does it seem to offer any direct sales.  Those of you who recommended them, how did you get yours?

Reply #11
jh for the vortex pst check euro optics.... their prices are pretty hard to beat....
Grant

Reply #12
A friend had a Bergara HMR in 6.5mm Creedmoor with a Leupold 6HD scope. I don’t remember the magnifying range. The rifle was sighted at 100 yards where it put three factory loaded bullets into two touching holes. I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor with a much less expensive Redfield Revolution scope and it rings steel at 1,000 yards with a hunting scope. My scope reticle has the AccuRange holdover points.
I would talk to other hunters in the area and find out their scope choices. You might like a reticle with holdover points. You might like a scope with lockable turrets you can operate with a gloved hand. The golden age of optics and bullets has taken a lot of the guess work out of exterior ballistics. There is nothing wrong with clicking up to make the shot.
As for a suppressor or brake on the Bergara, the recoil isn’t big and muzzle jump is minimal so I wouldn’t make it a priority. The stock adjustments make it fit so well that you’ll feel less recoil than with a standard, straight pull stock.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

Reply #13
 The Zeiss Conquest V4  rifle scopes run right at a thousand dollars. I recently put a Zeiss Conquest V4, 4-16x44 on a Howa 1500 and spent the extra $150 to get the newer generation scope with the uncapped locking windage turret and illuminated MOA reticle. 30 milometer tube gets me as much adjustment to shoot as far as I would want to hunt, and I prefer the second focal plane reticle for a hunting rifle. Glass has as much or more clarity than anything I have purchased in this price range. 14 inches long at 22.6 oz. Nice hunting scope for hunting at extended ranges, or close up.
 https://www.eurooptic.com/Zeiss-CONQUEST-V4-4-16x44-ZBi-Illum-Reticle-68-Ext-Elev-Ballistic-Stop-Ext-Locki.aspx