Skip to main content
Topic: Another Grendel Is Born (Read 159 times) previous topic - next topic

Another Grendel Is Born

My young friend/lease partner/unofficial god son Kodi has been putting together a 6.5 Grendel AR for the last several months.  Bought a complete Palmetto State lower and a Daniel Defense upper sans BCG, charging handle and mags.  Many thanks to the AR gurus on this site that guided me down the road to perdition several months ago as I groped around trying to put some "stuff" together.  The internet is a beautiful thing.  Found both a quality BCG and charging handle for him at reasonable price point.  Gifted him a mag and 50 rounds of American Gunner for break-in.  Thought all was good.  Sitting in a deer blind a couple of days ago, get this whiny text from Mr. Kodi. "This POS won't shoot.  Getting 4" inch groups at 35 yards.  Unsatisfactory!  Gonna dump this junk and put a Palmetto State upper on backorder."  My response, "Patience grasshopper.  You know the drill.  Take your time and don't get frustrated and get the barrel too hot."    Got his hands on some Hornady Black.  Shazaam!  Touching at 100 and thinks it will be a one holer with a non MILSPEC trigger. Trying to guide him to a 2.5 CMC but he has Timney in his head because that is what I have put in all his and his Dad's bolt guns.  He is a young guy with a great job, a working wife and a three year old son.  Trying to get him where he wants to be without pi**ing away money.  Any and all guidance on triggers much appreciated.
If you have the shot, take it.

Re: Another Grendel Is Born

Reply #1
I think Bix N Andy are making the best AR trigger out there Wayne but they ain’t cheap.

Reply #2
I think Bix N Andy are making the best AR trigger out there Wayne but they ain’t cheap.
  Thank you sir.  I have CMC's in a couple.  Completely satisfied.  Installed a Geissele SSA-E in my DD5V5 in 6.5 Creedmoor.  Loving it.  If I mention Bix and Andy or Geissele to Kodi, he will pursue it.  Not out of his price range, but he has better things to spend his money on.  He is a good kid and awesome shooter/deer and feral hog killer.  He is rough and tumble, like most of us down here, so if he can dot a pig in the eye at 100 or a buck behind the shoulder at 200, he will be satisfied.

Reply #3
I've got CMC in an AR.  Good trigger.  Also got a couple of Larue's trigger in an AR15 and AR10.  Very good trigger, and their cost is way down now.
Jeff
First impressions are forever.....you don't get a second chance

Reply #4
  Thank you sir.  I have CMC's in a couple.  Completely satisfied.  Installed a Geissele SSA-E in my DD5V5 in 6.5 Creedmoor.  Loving it.  If I mention Bix and Andy or Geissele to Kodi, he will pursue it.  Not out of his price range, but he has better things to spend his money on.  He is a good kid and awesome shooter/deer and feral hog killer.  He is rough and tumble, like most of us down here, so if he can dot a pig in the eye at 100 or a buck behind the shoulder at 200, he will be satisfied.

I have picked Geissele for all of my lowers.....I keep the same trigger in them all so that they all feel the same no matter which one  I pick up.  I don't remember the model number (there are so many to choose from...but I'll find it). It was a two stage with full adjustments for the trigger pull for both stages.  I think the final stage is at 1lb which for an AR is fantastic.  Bix and Andy are great triggers and for me, seemed like overkill for an AR.  I am a big Grendel Fan.....have a 28" Kreiger barrel in one upper that is really easy to shoot well.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #5
MJeff,
Thank you.  Will throw Larue into the mix for him. 

Reply #7

I have picked Geissele for all of my lowers.....I keep the same trigger in them all so that they all feel the same no matter which one  I pick up.  I don't remember the model number (there are so many to choose from...but I'll find it). It was a two stage with full adjustments for the trigger pull for both stages.  I think the final stage is at 1lb which for an AR is fantastic.  Bix and Andy are great triggers and for me, seemed like overkill for an AR.  I am a big Grendel Fan.....have a 28" Kreiger barrel in one upper that is really easy to shoot well.
  You hit  a ancient nerve.  All the Cobra and Apache gun pilots from LA, MS, WV et al that had been .squirrel head shooters with a .22 could never comprehend why a standard dispersion was built into the 20mm and 30mm cannons on the aircraft. "No!  These are "area"  not "point" firearms systems."