Skip to main content
Topic: 10 shot ladder test Scott Saterlee (Read 496 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 10 shot ladder test Scott Saterlee

Reply #30
This will land me in the weeds but, for my shooting skill level, I don't think something like a Lead Sled is a bad idea for a 10-shot velocity ladder. 
Chris,
Retiring end of Q2-2021 :)

Reply #31
If your always going to shoot off the lead sled it would be fine.. but to go from the lead slead to your shoulder wont produce the same results chris.. you have a labradar.. shot 5 rounds with a soft hold on the gun.. then shoot 5 with a tight hold on the gun.. 😁

Tune the rifle like your going to drive it.. 😉
Grant

Reply #32
This will land me in the weeds but, for my shooting skill level, I don't think something like a Lead Sled is a bad idea for a 10-shot velocity ladder.

Lead sleds are hard on scopes. I won one as a prize at the 600 Nats and told them I didn't need it and had them draw a name for the lucky winner.
Dave

Reply #33
If your always going to shoot off the lead sled it would be fine.. but to go from the lead slead to your shoulder wont produce the same results chris.. you have a labradar.. shot 5 rounds with a soft hold on the gun.. then shoot 5 with a tight hold on the gun.. 😁

Tune the rifle like your going to drive it.. 😉

I know what you are saying Grant, I don't even own a lead sled. To me though, a 10-shot ladder is not about tuning per se, it's about collecting data. The data in this case being to collect as precise as possible 10 muzzle velocity readings. If a shooter can influence those readings based on skill level, in a random manner, then maybe dialing out the shooter as much as possible could be beneficial.

And maybe not.

I don't use small sample statistical analysis myself,  but there's always the drive to try and get the most from the least :)

Chris,

Reply #34
i understand what your thinking there chris... i just think the data wouldnt mean much once you shouldered the rifle ... your shoulder isnt as solid as what you could hold the gun at in a lead sled so chances are your going to loose some speed when you fire it from your normal shooting method... what ever that gun is butted up against is part of the equation in my mind.... so to develop a load for the gun it needs to be done just like you plan on shooting it....
Grant

Reply #35
I know you are right Grant, sometimes it's hard for me to quit applying principles I've lived by in my work life which have served me well in that arena.

Chris,