Skip to main content
Topic: New to me! (Read 72 times) previous topic - next topic

New to me!

Mailman brought me a "new" press....not quite new probably late 70s early 80s.  Ebay find ($75) sold as Herter's model 6.  Their #3 was the bread & butter press of 60s & 70s.  The #6 is like the #3 with their later "refinements".  The other picture is the U3 which i bought in 1970.  Both use the same attachments and are tough. The ram is 1.25".
My U3 is showing a little wear after 50 years but todays delivery seems tight as new!  Definitely will outlast me.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Re: New to me!

Reply #1
Whoa!!! That sucker looks like a horse! What’s it weigh?

Reply #2
Bathroom scale said 19.4 lbs.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #3
Nice I like the handle, betting it won't come off in your hand like this newer stuff.
Dave

Reply #4
Another example of stuff being made to last back in the day.. nice snag randy..
Grant

Reply #5
Very nice find for sure, I like the older presses, about 15yrs ago I went on a spree buying old RCBS JR3 presses off of ebay and found several that were like new condition very reasonable, I still have them and use them often but I kinda went the turret press route the T7 Redding and the Lyman Brass Smith, both are excellent presses! and very quick to load with! I prefer the single stage for my precision rifle loading but the turret presses I have trump the old single stage O block presses I have ;)