Skip to main content
Topic: 6.5 x 47Lapua AI (Read 179 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 6.5 x 47Lapua AI

Reply #15
Weight sorted 349 pieces of lightly used brass this afternoon. Weighed from 159g up to 162.4g

I pulled 2 off the top that were .4 heavier than the next heaviest and started boxing them in batches of 45 pieces.

5 boxes are within .4 or less in the box so there's 225 pieces to fireform to improved.
Then there is 91 pieces between 2 boxes that I'll leave at straight 47L
Then there's a box of 25 odds to play with plus I still have a box of 47Ls loaded for a Savage.

Shawn is supposed to spin up an improved barrel with my reamer for a Remington 700 SA within 2 weeks and get it shipped to me.

If, big IF he gets it to me in time and I can get a load worked up for it I'd like to take it deer hunting over Thanksgiving week and shoot a deer and maybe some coyotes but all the planets are going to have to align to pull that off.

Around the first of the year I'll have him spin up a couple barrels for the Panda and start tuning it.

Dave

Reply #16
Dave, what bullet are you going to use?
I know you talked about the 130g range before.

Reply #17
Plan to test several but will probably start with the 135 Atips or 139 vapor trail
Dave

Reply #18
Dave is their an advantage with the 47 over the 6.5 creedmoor?
Grant

Reply #19

I always "felt" the 47L was a little more accurate and a little easier to tune. Most of the smallest 100 yard groups I've ever shot were with a 6.5x47L and I think the improved version will add just enough room in the case to explore the next higher nodes with h4350.
I seriously can't wait to run them in the Panda with a 28" straight taper 1.250" barrel i think its really going to shoot tiny!
Dave

Reply #20

Grant if commercial rifle manufacturers would have made rifles for the 6.5x47 years ago there is a possibility the 6.5 Creedmoor would not have evolved.
65x47 was always considered a competition round by manufacturers . Hornady was smart when it recognized that there was a commercial gap that could be filled by something they designed. You might say well no the 260 Rem was already there. When the 6.5 CM came out it was described as “the Rem 260 designed correctly “ and that’s all it took to initiate sales.

Reply #21
It took a bit of searching on AS but I knew I'd seen an ad from a guy who had bought 25 or 30 boxes of Lapua 6.5x47 brass and weight sorted it all back into  100 count boxes within .4 grains of each other. He kept the cut he wanted and is selling the rest.

I've got 400 pieces from the same cut/weight inbound that I'll be saving for the Panda barrels.
Dave