Skip to main content
Topic: New to precision reloading question (Read 147 times) previous topic - next topic

New to precision reloading question

I've reloaded both pistol and rifle for a few years however I am new to 6.5 Creedmoor and "precision long range" reloading.  There is a lot to learn about this stuff.

My set up is:

Ruger Precision gen 3 24" 1:8    (Ruger 18029)
Athlon BTR Gen 2   6-24x50 scope
Starline brass small primer
H4350 powder
Bullet Hornady 140 gr ELD match (26331)
Primer CCI SR No. 400

Planning on finding my nodes using the following and my chrono.

50 rounds- 5 each of:
38.1 grains

This will be through new non-fireformed Starline brass.

All that being said all I have two questions.  40.8 seems maybe too hot depending on the loading manual I read and I think may be close to compression.  Is this dangerous?

The only small rifle primers I have on hand are CCI #400.  I'm gleaning from this forum that small rifle magnum may be the way to go.  Are CCI 400's ok to use?

I'm happy to have found this forum, oodles of great info.  I would appreciate any comments or pointers on the above.

Thanks in advance.

Roaneman.

Re: New to precision reloading question

Reply #1
Welcome to the forum roaneman.. to answer your first question let your gun tell you when your getting to the upper end of pressure.. also your chrono.. if you go to getting ejector marks or brass flow on the base then stop and back down 3 or 4 tenths on the powder.. also heavier than normal bolt lift.. your second question the cci 400 should work fine.. if you go to getting primer cratering pretty bad then you might try like a cci br4 which has a little harder cup as i understand it..
Grant

Reply #2
Welcome to the forum.  I hope you find us helpful and share your experiences.

Regarding your questions, I think that the load's that your working with are in the ball park of where you will need to be.  The 40.8 may be fine but it will depend on the case capacity of the brass and the seating depth.  I don't know starline brass but I have some Hornady brass that likes 40.8 but some Alpha that can't go more that 39.4.  So as Grant said, start low and keep an eye on the brass/primers and stop when you see something not right.  If you have a Crono, I would expect that you should be in the high 2700 fps range...if you start getting much above that, that would be a warning as well to be watchful.

I have not used CCI 400 primers but have used the BR-4 very successfully.  I like the insurance of a bit thicker/harder cap.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #3
Welcome to the forum.

Only thing I'd do different is fire-form the brass before running a ladder, that's just me.

Chris

Reply #4
Welcome to the forum.

Only thing I'd do different is fire-form the brass before running a ladder, that's just me.

Welcome Roaneman,
As @bikemutt says fireforming is important before final load development.  The fireforming is not a waste and several things can be accomplished during this process.

When possible I run preliminary (rough) seating tests when fireforming new brass.  Also early ladder tests as @gman47564 first will help you find a node to do the seating tests at (or viva versa).
Once all the brass is fireformed final ladder tests can be done with the early best seating found.  The new powder node can be fine tuned with the final seating.
At that point you probably will have between 100 & 200 rounds down the barrel and it should be done "speeding up".
Everybody develops their own load development method and some like myself often will revise and establish a different process as time evolves.  The forum members here are the best.  In 50+ years of handloading I can say for sure I've learned more in the last three years from these guys than all previous years.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #5
Thanks everyone for your advice and warm welcome. I sense wisdom way beyond my knowledge - your pointers are well received.

I'll keep you posted on the journey, this is going to be a lot of fun.

Roaneman.

Reply #6
Late to the party but these guys covered it well. Welcome aboard!
Dave

Reply #7
I'm not sure if is the appropriate place to ask however I am unable to locate any CCI BR4 primers anywhere.  Would anyone have a lead on these by any chance?

Appreciated.  Roaneman.

Reply #8
Right now finding about any kind of primers is like finding hens teeth.. lol.. your best chance of finding them at this time is in your local gun stores..
Grant

Reply #9
Thanks.  I figured as much. 

Roaneman

Reply #10
Supplies runs in streaks. Once you find what works, you need
to buy what you think will last you for about a year.
It usually doesn't take anywhere that long, but it's always good to
have extra for that next time.  It's something some of us that have
gone thru this a couple of times have learned.
I call it the" Lemming affect"
Once one person see something going the rest have to follow,
even if they don't need it.

Reply #11
Supplies runs in streaks. Once you find what works, you need
to buy what you think will last you for about a year.
It usually doesn't take anywhere that long, but it's always good to
have extra for that next time.  It's something some of us that have
gone thru this a couple of times have learned.
I call it the" Lemming affect"
Once one person see something going the rest have to follow,
even if they don't need it.

I remember when H-4350 was so hard to find I went with RL-16 and FWIW I'm glad I did.  Funny part was at that time a few guys were experimenting with RL-26 for the 6.5 Creed.  I bought a pound and didn't have much success.  It was so easy to find back then I wish I'd have bought a dozen 8 pounders.  I might have been able to retire once the overbore magnum crowd found out about it.

Reply #13
Thanks!

I did exactly the same thing.  Saw these pulled out the CC then realized they were a little too far north.

Appreciated regardless.   ;)

Reply #14
Thanks!

I did exactly the same thing.  Saw these pulled out the CC then realized they were a little too far north.

Appreciated regardless.   ;)

It's funny for me since I live in Vancouver WA, not Vancouver BC. I figured their website was confused, until I realized I was confused, lol.
Chris