Skip to main content
Topic: A Pig's Tale (Read 51 times) previous topic - next topic

A Pig's Tale

This just happened at 5:30 CST.  Being overrun by feral hogs.  Two of my neighbors have tallied five or six this week.  A line of thunderstorms was passing.  Glanced out the glass back door and there were six shoats, 40-50 pounds eating from the sunflower chum line I had laid to kill gray squirrels eating my pears.  Pulled out the trusty X Bolt and came up with a plan.  Figured if I opened the door, they would bolt.  Went out the front door and eased down the back of the house. Pouring rain. Peeked around the corner.  My! My! My!  Lined up two and turned loose 156 grains of Berger Elite Hunter wickedness at 40 yards.  Front target ran.  Buzzards will show him tomorrow.  Back target DRT.  Entrance wound was at least 2 1/2 inches in diameter.  Made my heart sing.  Will do the disposal tomorrow if the coyotes don't clean it up tonight.
If you have the shot, take it.

Re: A Pig's Tale

Reply #1
are they not good to eat wayne ?
Grant

Reply #2
Grant,
Yes and these were the perfect size.  But, hotter than he** down here right now.  Most people will not clean/eat them this time of the year.  That all changes when it is cooler NOV-FEB.  Lots of hunters will use the pork to mix with venison to make sausage.  Mentioned earlier.  They completely destroyed my sweet corn patch back in June so I am on a mission.

Reply #3
Update:  Checked the kill site this morning after I had shown the photographic evidence to my friends/fellow swine haters at breakfast. The 50 pond spotted boar was gone.  Nary a trace that the deed even happened.  WTF, over.  Finally saw a small drag mark and started to trail.  Carcass has been dragged about 20 yards into the brush.  The entire head was gone down to the shoulders.  Rest of the pig intact.  Pretty clear one coyote did this. Must be muy grande to drag 50 pounds that far and leave almost no sign.  He will be back tonight with some rowdy friends.  Was probably lying in the shade watching me.  We have a few black bears but I know nothing about their habits.  Would not a bear have moved that carcass more than 60-70 feet from the edge of my yard? Picked up a heavy blood trail from the black hog that veered right.  He was up front and soaked up most of the Berger. Not gonna bust brush for a rooter.  Will let the buzzards show me where after the coyotes are done.