Skip to main content
Topic: RPR Barrel - Ouch (Read 503 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RPR Barrel - Ouch

Reply #75
It seems to shoot now. The bottom groups look fine.
It's not going to be a 1000yd bench rifle, but I've seen worse.
Shoot it and then when worn out, buy an after market barrel and put on.

Reply #76
Capt, if you hadn't bought the bore cam you would be like the rest of us trying to improve on what we have.
It certainly shoots good for as far as my style but I mostly shoot "turd" barrels in the first place.  If I didn't have the camera I would call some of mine  really great .  One of my best shooters a 5r Savage has an ugly looking inclusion in one of the grooves close to the throat but still shoots better than I do.
If yours was mine I would shoot it, but maybe every bad day on my part would be blamed on the "badlands"!

Its longevity may or may not come into play but you can have fun with it as is.....interested what Ruger says.....my bet is "send it in and we will look at it".

Good luck whatever you decide.

11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #77
JVW I'll let you guy be the judge, attachment represents the best I can get out of it with the amount of rounds I've put through it at 100 yds. - I don't think it's as consistent as advertised by Ruger or other targets I've seen from other shooters.  My fault, rifle's fault or a combination of both sometimes hard to say.  I've sent photos of the barrel to Ruger waiting on a response from them.

Is that all the same charge from a developed node, ascending charges, or commercial ammo? First impression from that target is encouraging. I agree with the crew. Shoot it while you are saving up for a replacement.

Reply #78
If we all bought bore-scopes and looked down our barrels,  90% of us wouldn't be able to sleep at night!

Eric
NRA Benefactor Life Member<br>Crafty Old Fart

Reply #79
Problem with wanting more - reading to much, trying to get where maybe a person shouldn't go, and thinking good just ain't good enough.  Anyway, I sent the pictures to Ruger and today I received a call and a return label to ship the rifle to them.  Worst that could happen, I'm hoping now, is that I receive what I have back in the shape it was delivered.  Regardless I'll examine first to establish a baseline and then shoot what I get.  Life just don't get any better.  I'll post what Ruger has to say when I find out.

Most of all I wish to thank each and everyone of you for your comments and assistance.  There's no better bunch of people than what the gun community has to offer.  I've learned a great deal more than I knew yesterday and for that I'm grateful.  I'll make note of all the suggested barrels just in case I need one in the near future.

The last photo was the best I have ever got out of this rifle, factory 147 gn. Hornady Match ammo.

Thanks again
CaptMarine

Reply #80
At 80 rounds the barrel was not broken in past the "speed up" yet so it should have been getting better. I think you probably did the right thing for your situation. I think Ruger will probably take the opportunity to make it right and you should come out of it with a better barrel.
It's encouraging how fast they got back to you and asked to get the rifle back. 
Dave

Reply #81
Huf - Yea it surprised me when I got the call, but I've found most companies are like that.  If they tell me that they just had to clean the barrel I'll not be upset.  At least I've learned a valuable lesson and I hope others have also from our conversations.  That's exactly what this site and people are all about.  I have new in the bottle cleaning supplies, hopefully better ones, and learned more about lands & grooves than I ever needed to know.  There is a down side, I have to start all over with load data if the barrel is changed out, Oh Well!

I do appreciate all of the help I've received from all.  A warm heart felt THANK YOU to you all.

I'll follow up with comments/actions Ruger provides.  The rifle is now in the hands of FedEx.
CaptMarine

Reply #82
If we all bought bore-scopes and looked down our barrels,  90% of us wouldn't be able to sleep at night!

Eric
Eric, I sure stayed up later at night trying to figure out the best approach.  I opened "that can of worms" but you know when this rifle comes back, new barrel or not, I'll have a baseline on it's condition for future reference.  I'll surely take photos of the new barrel if that's how it will end up.  AND borescope just to make sure it's clean when I put it away.  A clean patch coming out the end means very little it seems.  I guess the cleaning solutions used have a lot to do with it.
CaptMarine

Reply #83
capt the only way to know if you have a clean bore is to look in there...  i have learned that a clean patch doesnt mean you have a clean barrel... a bore scope can freak a guy out... learning what your seeing is the key... still working on that here.... 
Grant

Reply #84
The bore cam and "new to me" cleaning regimens are new to me also.  Slowly been picking away at the idle rifles & barrels.  Some of you more experienced guys probably have noticed that the formerly "clean patched barrels" have more resistance to a tight patch from the throat forward a few inches than the rest of the barrel.  Bore cam has shown me this is the "baked carbon stretch".  After the JB/Kroil cleaning this "tighter area seems gone.  With the only felt resistance to the patch at the "choke" area near the muzzle.   If no else feels this then head games are working overtime in my acorn.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #85
I'd be very surprised if it comes back without a new barrel.
Dave

Reply #86
I count myself as a barrel snob with the best of them but I agree with Robin, those bottom two groups you showed us with factory amo and a factory barrel look pretty good.  Unless you need a whole lot more precision I would pray Ruger sends it back and start working up the best load the rifle tells you it likes.  Then when that barrel goes south replace it with a quality custom and smile.  Best of luck, keep us posted.