Skip to main content
Topic: Foul your barrel in! (Read 356 times) previous topic - next topic

Foul your barrel in!

We all put a lot of effort into load testing and many of us assume a few fouling shots and we're good to go.

I've noticed at matches my best groups tend to be towards the end of the match.

When testing I tend to clean my barrel after 2 ladders. That's 30 testers and maybe 20 sighter/foulers. In testing my best ladders are almost always the second one.

These pics really illustrate it, first two are first ladders after a good barrel cleaning and the third is after the first ladder.

I've decided I need to shoot more sighters to have my barrels at their peak accuracy.

My point is when testing make sure your barrel is completely fouled in to get the best results from your effort.

Dave

Re: Foul your barrel in!

Reply #1
I started shooting my 6.5x284 a little bit ago.. it had a clean barrel.. my first 3 shots was 3/4 inch high and half inch left.. my 4th shot was half inch low but good left and right my 5th was dead center so was the 6th and 7th.. im shooting 2 inch plates now at 430.. and the paint is still visible around the outside edge of it.. 😁.. so yes foul them in good after a good cleaning..
Grant

Reply #2
Clean but don’t over clean. Use a bore scope to know when to stop. Every barrel is a little different but it will tell you what it wants if you pay attention to it. Good call Dave.

Reply #3
With my cleaning regiment, I've seen and measured FPS that with 3-4 foulers
most of my barrels are back up to where I want them.

Reply #4
I think you guys are misunderstanding my point a little.

With a completely clean barrel on the first fouling shot at 600 yards holding dead center on an 18" × 18" sighter steel the splash will be low with the Borden and or the Panda. Shots 2-5 will usually be back up where I'm aiming and in the same splash but may get slightly larger with each shot but still either will shoot 2.25" to 3" at 600 or .3 - .5 MOA also after the 3rd or 4th shot the velocity will be back at the perceived speed of the node.

Pretty good right???

Well not good enough to do any winning at an IBS Benchrest match but after 20 shots the same guns on the same rest and rear bag with the exact same loads running at the desired velocity will start shooting sub 1" to 2-2.25" at 600 yards or in the .1 to .3 MOA just for putting a few more rounds down the barrel.

It's the same loads but to get to the consistent .3 MOA or smaller a barrel seems to need more fouling than 4-6 shots. I've noticed this on several barrels now so it's not a quirk with one barrel or a coincidence.

What I'm trying to say is when doing load development get a good 10 - 15 rounds on the barrel before putting your testers on paper to see the best results.
Dave

Reply #5
dave do you think that is a product of tuning with a completely fouled barrel.. one with 20 or so rounds down it... im guessing it is....and that makes sense that it would shoot better with 20 rounds vs 5 rounds as it would be hard to put a tune on one within 5 rounds of being clean...
Grant

Reply #6
Yes I do. My point is/was while a barrel can be accurate lightly fouled it's best accuracy requires more fouling.

Dave

Reply #7
I would have to modify that statement to:

“Some” barrels require more fowling. As I said before, every barrel has its own personality.

I had a Rock Creek that shot lights out between the 5th and 15th round and then if fell apart with more fouling. That barrel was unique and I personally think defective but it’s an example of my point. One of my Bartleins was nuts on at 5 rounds and never got better until it started falling apart at 60 rounds.

Dave’s point is that - just because you have fouled your barrel doesn’t mean the following rounds are immediately going to give that barrel’s best performance.

Reply #8
This kind of explains why one day a particular load in testing shoots better than the next day.
I've witnessed this in some of the load work I've seen

Reply #9
I very rarely clean my barrels normally they go hundreds of rounds between cleanings.

Reply #11
I very rarely clean my barrels normally they go hundreds of rounds between cleanings.

Same here. Life is too short spending days cleaning barrels, only to blast 20 rounds before it groups again. Hit 0.35moa at 1180yds yesterday, with my dirty barrel.

Reply #12
Clean just the carbon out leave the copper. At least till the accuracy falls off then it may need some copper removal. I find if I deep clean my barrels it takes 30-40 more shots to get it back sub or 1/2 moa again.  Some copper is good but clean out the carbon after each shoot. The barrel will last a lot longer. HB
As a young man they said your starting out in the machine shop as a Hambone. Here's a broom, scoop and wheel barrel. Those were some fun days.

Reply #13
This can really vary from rifle to rifle. I had a couple that always shot best after 5 or so shots had been put through them, and another that liked a squeaky clean barrel or no more than 3 shots between cleanings. All three had mirror-bright bores and crisp rifling, at least as far as I could tell. I never had access to a bore scope so I can't tell you for certain what they actually looked like upon close examination. Crowns on all of them were pristine.

I've seen the same from other folks over the years, two otherwise identical rifles with one preferring a nicely fouled bore but the other wanting it clean.
Tarasdad - NRA Endowment Life - TSRA Life

Reply #14
Yes I agree. My point of the whole thread was to tell people to foul in to the point of best accuracy in their barrel wherever that may be.  Figure out where that's at and test there.
Dave