Skip to main content
Topic: Savage 111  (Read 613 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Savage 111

Reply #31
Dang uncle larry is on top of things.. just ordered these cases thursday and their here today.. that was a pleasant surprise in the mailbox.. so now the gun is headspaced and put together for the time being.. still waiting on scope rings and bullets.. made up a dummy round with a 184 gr berger just to make sure it fed from the magazine and everything was working like it should and it was..
The middle pic is my dummy round beside a 284 round with the same bullet..
Grant

Reply #32
Dang uncle larry is on top of things.. just ordered these cases thursday and their here today.. that was a pleasant surprise in the mailbox.. so now the gun is headspaced and put together for the time being.. still waiting on scope rings and bullets.. made up a dummy round with a 184 gr berger just to make sure it fed from the magazine and everything was working like it should and it was..
The middle pic is my dummy round beside a 284 round with the same bullet..
Did you get some JB'S to go with that Copenhagen?

Reply #33
no ...lol... thats one bad habit i wish i could walk away from but havn't been able to yet  ..
Grant

Reply #34
One nice thing about the 280 Ackley is you don't have to fireform the shoulder with brass available.  At one time I thought only Nosler made it....good to see Hornady is making it too....are other brass mfgs. coming on board also?
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #35
randy peterson is making it now also... but the only place you can get it is from graf's and euro optics... i talked to both places thursday and neither of them had it yet nor did they know when they would get it even though peterson said they would have it very soon... when it becomes avalible i will get a 100 pieces of it but this hornady will do for now... and very well may do for the long term as well... havnt had a chance to really check it out as far as wieght and measurements go yet...
Grant

Reply #36
I run the Nosler brass in mine.
Dave

Reply #37
My son wanted me to build him one at one time but at that time only Nosler was available and he does not reload so he dropped that idea.  Might be worth him taking another look at one now.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #38
This baby is ready to shoot!!!

May load a few 184's just to break the barrel in..
Grant

Reply #39
In the words of tom cruise in far and away.. she's got bite she does!!!
Had to shoot it.. loaded 10 rounds with re 23 and berger 184 hybrids.. middle of the road charge.. shoulder moved .002 from a new case.. exactly what i was hoping for.. shot 1 and cleaned x 3 then shot 3 and cleaned.. then the other 4.. cleaning it again then shoot it..
Pic is of shots 7, 8, 9 and 10 with 7 being closest to the bull.. I'll start uping the charge a little in the next 20 or 30 rounds then do some load development with it.. put a little bastard brake on it after the first 6 rounds and that tamed it down and will be another pleasant gun to shoot
Grant

Reply #40
Played around with charges a little bit this afternoon.. nosler load data gives a max of 55.5 gr of rl23 at a 102%fill.. i shot 53.5 this morning so this afternoon i shot 5 at 54.5 another 5 at 55 and 5 at 55.5.. which has a case fill in the hornady brass around 90%. No pressure signs that i can see.. easy bolt lift and rounded edges on the primers.. im going to ease on up to 56 gr as long as everything looks ok.. didnt chrono anything just kinda looking for pressure and to see what the groups are doing.. my 55.5 group is closing up from what 55 did..
Grant

Reply #41
Got my peterson brass for this stick.. peterson did a nice job making this brass.. weighed 20 of them and they all weighed within a grain of each other..
Grant

Reply #42
Well the rifle is done now.. my orxy chassis came today.. ordered gray side panels to change it up a little from the others.. got my brass and bullets i wanted for it so now its time to see what the gray ghost can do..  :D
Grant

Reply #43
Got my peterson brass for this stick.. peterson did a nice job making this brass.. weighed 20 of them and they all weighed within a grain of each other..

Just got 100 280AI Peterson cases delivered. Great packaging and same experience weight sorting. I've never struggled with load development on a rifle like my 280AI and the variable has been Nosler brass. I didn't know that their factory ammo brass is different from empty brass and that just snowballed into frustration. Excited to restart load development.

Reply #44
Boondoggle what powder and bullets are you going to use in yours.. ive been testing rl23 and 168 berger vlds in mine today and im no closer to having a good load than i was when i started.. this part of it usually goes pretty good for me but not today.. not sure if its the gun. Too fast a twist rate for the bullet.. wrong powder or just doesnt like the bullet.. sitting on the couch scratching my head right now..
Grant