Skip to main content
Topic: powder question (Read 371 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: powder question

Reply #15
Hybrid100V should give you more velocity and as good as accuracy as H4350 when it is "in tune", temperature sensitivity will take Hybrid100V out of tune more often than H4350
A load worked up with 100v in the winter may not be safe in the summer. It requires staying on top of.

Ths is a fact...as I discoverd with a .243
Rick

Reply #16

"Why" people use a powder, is a popularity contest.
Early on the Sheeple saw it was printed on a Hornady box, to match velocity from factory. They decided that it must be because that was the exact load used by Hornady; which it positively was not. So now they think it's "the" magic powder. Further most folks read the ad copy about extreme ninja ultra mega temp stability; then magically decide it must be a universal property in any usage. Again it most positively is not, and the amount of honest pressure tested data showing how wrong that is, goes back many decades. Further some will get out the chicken bones, and a cloudy marble, and divine burning speeds from a chart. Burning charts are at the very very best, sorta, only technically, kinda relatively right. Fixed volume bomb calorimeter is how those speeds are determined. Is using a powder in the 5.56 and the 7.62, using it in the same fixed volume? Nope. Think the burning speed is the same? Spoiler alert..... It's not. Volume changes burning speeds, which is why burning rate charts tell you about a tenth of what people think they tell you.
Superformance and RL-17 are great examples for this. In the 308, RL-17 is a regular powder.
Move to the Creed and both become progressive burning powders, especially with Superformance. The fact that Hodgy still uses a pile of crushers, is part of why they don't recommend Super in the Creed. With Stone Age pressure measurement, you have no idea what's going on with a progressive burning powder.

Hooked up to the Pressure Trace, H4350, RL-17, and Superformance pushing 140gr bullets at the same peak pressures; are all prefectly stable propellants. I've done a few of those tests, heat soaking in the Arizona dessert sun between shots.

Cheers

Cheers
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Reply #17
yesterday i tested both powders and found that the H100V was on average about 80FPS faster for my ladder test. both powders seem to have a speed node around 41.3 which is the max load in the Hornady book. i did to a ballistic calculation and out to 400 yards the difference in speeds gave me about an 1/8 of and inch to a 1/4 inch difference in POI at various ranges. it was about 100 degrees outside at the range yesterday afternoon. I think i will develop a few test loads for both powders and see about accuracy in those node areas and go from there. 

Reply #18
I've gravitated to H100V from H4350 for certain mid/heavy weight 6.5 mm pills.
Still use Varget and 8208 for the lightest pills.
... rule #9 ...

Reply #19
Monday i did an accuracy test and i got very similar results from both powders. i am going to redo my test and see if i get the same or different results. it was a bit windy so my groups were not very impressive but all still close to 1 moa. i did have one group under 1 moa tho. still think i can shoot better than that so im redoing my test this weekend.