Skip to main content
Topic: 30" Bull Barrel (Read 232 times) previous topic - next topic

30" Bull Barrel

Hi,

I am in the process of completing my first 6.5 build.  When I purchased my barrel blank, I opted for some extra length in case of issues when I machined it.  I now have the length for a 30" barrel and am considering using it all.  Does anyone have any thoughts about this excessive length?  Also, I am trying to select a starting powder.  Having used Hybrid 100V in the past with great results it seems like a natural starting point.  Since all of the reloading data that I have is for a 24" barrel, does anyone have a recommendation for a powder that will fill the case and make use of the length of the barrel?  I am starting with the Nosler 140gr RDF's as they were a reasonably good pick and cheap near me.  My intent is to shoot long-range paper for fun from a bench in reasonably fair weather.  I would like this to be the first gun that I take to 1000yds.

Re: 30" Bull Barrel

Reply #1
How many grooves and what twist?

Reply #2
Hotfoot124 welcome to the forum.. thats quiet a pipe there.. you might try a little slower burning powder for that length.. like a 4831sc or reloader 23.. should give you good case fill and a complete burn .. and probably a boast in speed over the faster burning powder.. keep us posted on what you come up with..
Grant

Reply #3
I have no experience with a barrel that long. I do know a lot of longer barrels get cut down to 28" to make them shoot better.
Dave

Reply #4
Welcome Hotfoot.  I shoot 30" 6.5CM barrels with 147g and 150g bullets.  One has a 1:8 twist and the other has a 1:7.5 twist.  From a powder perspective, I find that my powder loads tend to be lower than what folks use with a shorter barrel.  So my load for the 147g is 40.7g of RL-16 which generate a MV of 2760 fps using Hornady brass (higher volume that say Peterson).  So I would start a bit lower than what the 24" barrels recommend and then work up from there.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #5
Two thoughts, neither on powder.

A 30" bull barrel (no taper? what diameter?) may require some bedding at the back end. (autoxforfun?)
Has the barrel been "slugged" to determine if there is an optimum (tight) crown point?
Modify Everything

Reply #6
Thank you all so much for the comments and information.  The barrel is a Shilen match grade 6R chrome-molly barrel blank with an 8" twist.  My plan is to contour with something like a Palma contour down to 1" for the primary length.  I have it bedded in an aluminum chassis system from KRG.  This system does not lend itself well to glass bedding, but I could give it a try.  My thoughts on the length at this point are that if the 30" becomes an issue, I can always go back to the lathe and trim some off. (it's easier than welding some back on lol).

Reply #7
Two thoughts, neither on powder.

A 30" bull barrel (no taper? what diameter?) may require some bedding at the back end. (autoxforfun?)
Has the barrel been "slugged" to determine if there is an optimum (tight) crown point?

KRC, my apology for not getting back to you on this sooner.  Was pretty much off-line the whole weekend.

Regarding the 30" barrels I use, they are all large shank Savage Pre-fit barrels in two configurations.
    - 30" Bull (1.120 at the chamber and tapers to 1" at the muzzle).
    - 30" Straight (no taper - 1.120" at the muzzle)
They historically have been Criterion barrels and have not been slugged (good question....never occurred that I should check that).

All of the laminate stocks have been bedded and verified that there is adequate clearance to the barrel.
Bob

Reply #8
What powder do you burn in those 30" barrels?

KRC, my apology for not getting back to you on this sooner.  Was pretty much off-line the whole weekend.

Regarding the 30" barrels I use, they are all large shank Savage Pre-fit barrels in two configurations.
    - 30" Bull (1.120 at the chamber and tapers to 1" at the muzzle).
    - 30" Straight (no taper - 1.120" at the muzzle)
They historically have been Criterion barrels and have not been slugged (good question....never occurred that I should check that).

All of the laminate stocks have been bedded and verified that there is adequate clearance to the barrel.

Reply #9
When I started loading 6.5CM, H4350 was the powder of choice but was very difficult to locate.  So I went with RL-16 and have been very pleased.  I'm getting in the 2750 fps range with 40.7g.  There is a node higher that looked really good in the mid 2800 fps but it was harder on the brass.  So I'm happy with the lower node.
Bob

Reply #10
thanks for the info

Reply #11
When I started loading 6.5CM, H4350 was the powder of choice but was very difficult to locate.  So I went with RL-16 and have been very pleased.  I'm getting in the 2750 fps range with 40.7g.  There is a node higher that looked really good in the mid 2800 fps but it was harder on the brass.  So I'm happy with the lower node.

Should be a low 2800 node as well with 140s at least with a 28" barrel maybe the extra 2" moves the node.
Dave

Reply #12
Have read in the past that "hand lapped" barrels should have at least an inch removed from the muzzle end because the reversing of the lap enlarges the bore at that point.  Chamber end does not need this because the reamer cleans the enlarged bore on that end.
May pay to ask Shilen before leaving it full length.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #13
Have read in the past that "hand lapped" barrels should have at least an inch removed from the muzzle end because the reversing of the lap enlarges the bore at that point.  Chamber end does not need this because the reamer cleans the enlarged bore on that end.
May pay to ask Shilen before leaving it full length.

I have been told you need to chop the breech end as well.
Lilja barrels band saw cuts both ends so the both have to be shortened.
Dave

Reply #14
My 31" Brux spits out Berger 140 gr Hybrids at about 2,835 fps with 41.5 grs of H4350 and Lapua cases.  YMMV.  Don't forget to work up.  I am jumping the load about 0.015".  Good luck.