Skip to main content
Topic: powder question (Read 370 times) previous topic - next topic

powder question

I am wondering why it is that so many folks are recommending H4350 for the 6.5 Creed when Roloader17, Superformance, and Hybrid100V are both faster? is it really more accurate? Im looking at doing some load development for some Hornady 140 SST bullets and Im wondering if its worth exploring all 3 or is there something better out there?

Re: powder question

Reply #1
Their are a lot of things that go into a correct powder for the
case size and bullet weight for that size case.
The Superformance and H100v are not "faster" they actually
burn slower than H4350 and the RL17 is close depending on
what chart you look at.
Just about every case with a particular bullet, has a few powders that
burn just right to give it the optimum speed and not too much pressure.
If you put in to slow of a burning powder, you won't get the speed you might
be looking for and too fast a powder will fill the case and cause pressure issues.
You don't want a case half full and don't want a case full to the top.
Your trying to find the perfect weight of the bullet to the case bore ratio.
So even using the 6.5 Creed and using a 95g vs a 150g bullet, you'll be using
two different powders to get the right ratio.
People are using H4350 (burn speed) in the creed with 140g weights cause it's what burns
at that right spot to achieve the top speed without the pressure.

Reply #2
hawkeye its stable, repeatable, reliable, consistent...and accurate... meters good.. its the gold standard for the 6.5 creedmoor... they have all been tried and most come back to old faithful...
Grant

Reply #3
H4350, IMR4451, RL-16, RL-17, 6.5 Staball, the new Vihtavuori 555 powder and possibly RL-26 are going to be your best powder for that bullet weight in your creedmoor.

Go with what powder is easily available and start off from there. H4350 is by far my first pick for all the reasons mentioned above in the other comments.

Reply #4
hawkeye its stable, repeatable, reliable, consistent...and accurate... meters good.. its the gold standard for the 6.5 creedmoor... they have all been tried and most come back to old faithful...

Can the same be said for the .243? I will be reloading for both eventually...

Rick

Reply #5

Can the same be said for the .243? I will be reloading for both eventually...

Can't speak for the others but I use h4350 as a pet load with 95 Nosler ballistic tips in two of my 243s and also in two grandkids rifles.  2950 in a 19" barrel & 3100 in at least one of the 22" barrels.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #6
H4350 90-100 grain for the wife's 243's and varget or imr4064 in all the lighter pills, both her 243's like the same powders.

If I had a long range "target" 243 with a faster twist and longer barrel it would be heavier pills with alot slower powder. But the 243's I load for are 1-10" twist and 1-9.25" with shorter barrels so nothing over a hundred grains for traditional soft nose bullets. And gotta stay pretty light if shooting newer "vld" bullets to be stable.

Reply #7
Can't speak for the others but I use h4350 as a pet load with 95 Nosler ballistic tips in two of my 243s and also in two grandkids rifles.  2950 in a 19" barrel & 3100 in at least one of the 22" barrels.

95 grain nosler ballistic tips hands down the best 243 bullet I have ever used or loaded.

Reply #8
H4350 90-100 grain for the wife's 243's and varget or imr4064 in all the lighter pills, both her 243's like the same powders.

If I had a long range "target" 243 with a faster twist and longer barrel it would be heavier pills with alot slower powder. But the 243's I load for are 1-10" twist and 1-9.25" with shorter barrels so nothing over a hundred grains for traditional soft nose bullets. And gotta stay pretty light if shooting newer "vld" bullets to be stable.

The .243 I will be loading for is a Savage Predator in 1-9.25
Rick

Reply #9
I am wondering why it is that so many folks are recommending H4350 for the 6.5 Creed when Roloader17, Superformance, and Hybrid100V are both faster? is it really more accurate? Im looking at doing some load development for some Hornady 140 SST bullets and Im wondering if its worth exploring all 3 or is there something better out there?

H 4350 is time tested for accuracy and temperature sensitivity. Of the 3 powders you mention I believe Superformance may be better suited to lighter bullets then RL 17 and Hybrid 100v while producing some very good velocity have a reputation for temp sensitivity.

RL 16 is a very good choice and IMR 4451 works very well also.
Dave

Reply #10
For the 243 Winchester which shoots 115 DTACs I have had good success with Norma URP and RL-23.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #11
When H4350 was like unicorn dust, I developed 140gr loads using RL16 which gave me more speed and excellent accuracy in a variety of rifles and barrel lengths.  Today, I continue to use RL16 and have not looked back even tho I have 10 lbs or so of H4350.  I started experimenting with the Hornady 130 ELDM and with a charge of 43.0 to 43.4 gr I can get 2950 - 3015 fps with good accuracy out of a custom Rem700 with a 28" bbl.  Just find something that works for you and your applications.

With regard to .243.... I use RL19 with 100 gr. Sierra Game King to get 3,000 + fps with sub moa accuracy out of my Savage 12 (9.25" twist). 

This is what works for me after trying tons of different powders.  Good luck with your loading.
Mike

Reply #12
My best 100yd 3-shot group, in my 6.5 Creedmoor/141.5gr Cauterucio was with H100V (.084" group).  My best 600yd F-class scores in the same rifle (match shot over 6 hour period, 20 shots x 3) was with H4350; H100V was not even close.  The atmospheric condition changes over a long day caused my loads with H100V to group inconsistently.  For a hunting load I would have no issue with RL-17 or H100V.  The choice, as mentioned by others, is largely predicated on the goals of the shooter.  I need under .5 MOA over 20 consecutive shots/20 minutes to be competitive.

Reply #13
my application will be for hunting. I have H4350 and Hybrid100V at my disposal. i guess i will try them both and see what power gives me the best velocity and then grouping. thanks for all the replies.

Reply #14
my application will be for hunting. I have H4350 and Hybrid100V at my disposal. i guess i will try them both and see what power gives me the best velocity and then grouping. thanks for all the replies.

Hybrid100V should give you more velocity and as good as accuracy as H4350 when it is "in tune", temperature sensitivity will take Hybrid100V out of tune more often than H4350
A load worked up with 100v in the winter may not be safe in the summer. It requires staying on top of.
Dave