Skip to main content
Topic: Primer 'crush' (Read 78 times) previous topic - next topic

Primer 'crush'

When seating primers I (as I was taught to do by mentors) seat it until I feel an change in resistance and then a light bottoming out of the cup in the pocket and stop there.  The resistance is from the anvil encountering the bottom of the pocket and the cup bottoms shortly thereafter.  Great, in theory....  However, I find with some primer brands, I find it difficult at times to feel the anvil touch and the first real resistance is the primer cup reaching the bottom of the pocket.  I find it really easy to feel the anvil touch and the cup bottom out with Fed LR primers but with CCI BR-2's and 4's it is hit and miss.  With Wolf LR's, in two different chamberings, the fit is so tight that feeling the anvil touch would take skill and a sense waaay beyond my paygrade.  Surely I am not the only one with this experience.  Maybe it is my priming tools (K&M) but I had the same difficulties with the RCBS.  FOr the record I have used no other hand primers...only press priming tools before that.

Re: Primer 'crush'

Reply #1
I couldn’t agree more. It takes a sensitive handle on the hand primer to feel the anvil. I had to teach myself the “touch”.  If you uniform pocket depth and document the distance by measuring with a caliper, it gives a baseline to start with. If you then measure primer thickness from base to anvil and base to the lip of the primer cup, you can then determine the required recess of the primer base in the  cartridge case to provide anvil crush without an excessive seating depth. If you run through this exercise and use a sensitive primer tool you will begin to “feel” what you are looking for.

Re: Primer 'crush'

Reply #2
I find it greatly depends on the brand of brass being primed as well. That and the fact that different brands of primers vary in exact diameter as well. I know when I'm seating a federal primer into new piece of nosler brass it is basically impossible to feel when the anvil first comes in contact with the bottom of the primer pocket.

If I use my Forster co-ax press to seat the primers it seats to the perfect depth each and every time. I just don't use it too often cause I need a better way to place primers on the press. Otherwise I just use my rcbs benchtop priming system and just go by "feel".