Skip to main content
Topic: Range Report  (Read 120 times) previous topic - next topic

Range Report

Tikka T3X Lite 6.5 CM  (For Hunting,  200 yds or less)
143 gr ELD X
Details in the pics.  HATE it,  when I make a bad shot,  and ruin a good group  LOL
2 different sized Targets.
What do you guys think?  41.5,  or 41.7?
Mark

Re: Range Report

Reply #1
Not bad 6.5hunter.. just my opinion but 41.7 is all vertical.. not what you want.. 41.5 is pretty good.. i would suggest you also try 41.3.. and see how it compares to 41.5..
Grant

Reply #2
I'm with Grant on this one.  What is your rest set up for shooting these tests?  If not a very steady set-up a hunting rifle trigger pull weight could easily account for that out of group shot on the first target.  I say plenty good enough for hunting out to 300yds on medium size game.

Reply #3
Not bad 6.5hunter.. just my opinion but 41.7 is all vertical.. not what you want.. 41.5 is pretty good.. i would suggest you also try 41.3.. and see how it compares to 41.5..

Tried 41.3 @  100, late last week,   and it wasn't very tight.  Member at the Range, suggested,  from looking at other targets,  (which included the 41.3gr)  that I work up from 41.5 to 41.8.  Best groups there,  were 41.5,  41.7,  which I shot,  today.
Mark

Reply #4
I'm with Grant on this one.  What is your rest set up for shooting these tests?  If not a very steady set-up a hunting rifle trigger pull weight could easily account for that out of group shot on the first target.  I say plenty good enough for hunting out to 300yds on medium size game.

Up until today,  I'd been using,  a Caldwell Rock  front rest,  and a Protector,  rear bag.  Friday,  bought a Caldwell Tack Driver Bag,  used it  today,  with the Protector rear bag,  and it helped.   Low,  Right shot,  on the 1st target,  was all me.  Crosshairs went that direction,  as the Trigger broke.
Mark

Reply #5
I totally agree 41.7 is too vertical.
Do you have any H4831SC?
If so, shoot a OCW test starting at 43.8gr up to 45gr.
FWIW 41.5 will kill a deer at 200.
Edit : Have you preformed a seating depth test yet? If not take your 41.5 gr load at current depth and start seating deeper in .3 increments
3 shots each, record and document each depth.
You'll see groups shrink and open back up.

Reply #6
I totally agree 41.7 is too vertical.
Do you have any H4831SC?
If so, shoot a OCW test starting at 43.8gr up to 45gr.
FWIW 41.5 will kill a deer at 200.

No H4831SC.  Agreed on the Deer killing.  All of my Shots,  are 200 or less.  Most are around 100.  Still like to test myself,  at distances,  I don't normally shoot at.  This Rifle is "Recoil Tolerent" at the Range,  unlike the 7 Rem Mag,  I traded it for,  so.  I'm shooting alot more.
Mark

Reply #7
6.5 i have a tikka t3x lite... its what i hunt with... i just checked my load data for it with the 143 eldx... im shooting 42.3 gr. of h4350 in mine... with a cbto of 2.276... theirs a thread here about mine if you want to check it out... just do a search of .. meet my little friend miss tikka... with my 143 eldx load its safe in my gun but work your way up to it in yours to make sure it is in yours... 
Grant