Skip to main content
Topic: That was easy enough..  (Read 169 times) previous topic - next topic

That was easy enough..

Been struggling with the 156 berger eol's in my prc.. sent about 350 of them down range in looking for that good load and just couldnt get it to shoot like i wanted.. so i switched to the 153 atips today and did my usual 10 shot velocity ladder.. my numbers pretty much mirrored hornadys load data for them with re 26.. i had 2 flat spots.. one around 2990 and the other at 3045.. course i went for the 3045 node.. loaded 3 at 55.4 gr. And shot them.. made a single hole.. thinking it may be a fluke i loaded 2 more and shot them.. the hole just got a smidge bigger.. still need to test them at 300 but im close on my first attempt.. 😁
Heres my numbers and 5 shot group with the atips..
Grant

Re: That was easy enough..

Reply #1
@3045 fps is a hopping load. Looking good. Should be a great
"getcha at long range" load.
I heard a lot of people liking those A-Tips.
Better call James at NSS now for the next barrel. LOL

Reply #2
Well i dont know what to make of this.. i shot 5 shots at this target at 300 yards..  best i can tell is theirs 3 in the top hole and 2 in the bottom hole.. pretty sure i didnt completely miss the paper with any of them.. lol.. im impressed with the atips..
Grant

Reply #3
@3045 fps is a hopping load. Looking good. Should be a great
"getcha at long range" load.
I heard a lot of people liking those A-Tips.
Better call James at NSS now for the next barrel. LOL

I got one leaning up in the corner gregg😁
Grant

Reply #4
Nice Grant!  I have some 190 A-tip's waiting on a reamer for a 7 Sherman Short.  Although it may not translate into a useful measurement to start my load work would you mind sharing your seating depth for the 153 A-tips?

Reply #5
Robin to fit my mag i set them at .070 off the lands.. and thats how they shot.
Grant

Reply #6
Nice Grant!  I have some 190 A-tip's waiting on a reamer for a 7 Sherman Short.  Although it may not translate into a useful measurement to start my load work would you mind sharing your seating depth for the 153 A-tips?

Robin with the 7mm 166 Atips I started at -.020 then went to -.010 then a seating test showed about -.006 was better then I tried a set into the lands and +.004 & +.005 seem to be the best depths yet.
Dave

Reply #7
Thanks guys.  Looks like I'll definitely have to check a wide spread (something which I was hoping not to do at the cost of the A-tips....but...as is said..'there is no free lunch'. :'(   I'll favor farther off for F-class as I sometimes load 350 or more for a week long National and want an area that has a broad depth range that still will give me .5MOA all week.  I hope my free bore choice will allow that deep without putting the bearing surface past the neck.

Reply #8
To me i think you can put that bullet any where you want it and tune the powder to it.. then you may or may not have to move seating depth more than a few thousandths one way or the other to get to your optimal barrel time.. i know that goes against what most think but thats how i see it.. 🙂
Grant

Reply #9
To me i think you can put that bullet any where you want it and tune the powder to it.. then you may or may not have to move seating depth more than a few thousandths one way or the other to get to your optimal barrel time.. i know that goes against what most think but thats how i see it.. 🙂

I think you can get it as good as you can get it tuning powder but you can't tune powder to as fine as an extent as you can seating depth.

Your 300 yd 6.5 PRC 5 shot split 3 / 2 group is a perfect example IMO. Don't take offense Grant it was a very good group for 300 yards but I think tuning seating could have helped that group. You'll come back and say "that's as good as me and my equipment can shoot" and I'll say "bull$hit"!
I say until anyone tunes seating depth there is no load that can't greatly benefit from tuning seating depth unless you just happen to pick the perfect depth out of the hat. Even then you don't know without testing.

There comes a time in precision tuning where you have to trust that the group printed the way it printed because of the tune and not something the driver induced.

It takes repeated testing on paper and patterns start to develop that you can't deny, speaking of myself and my experience. 
Dave

Reply #10
I knew that would get ya fired up dave.. 😁
Grant

Reply #11
Well it should have - he is right! 😂