Skip to main content
Topic: 6.5 PRC —— Who has one and what do you like about it (Read 171 times) previous topic - next topic

6.5 PRC —— Who has one and what do you like about it

I am curious if anyone on this forum has experience with hand loading and shooting a 6.5 PRC. If you have ideas and / or “look out for” advice, please share.
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine.
Every man has got to know his limits.

Re: 6.5 PRC —— Who has one and what do you like about it

Reply #1
I know Grant has and maybe another.
I'm sure he will chime in tomorrow.

Reply #2
Marshall the 6.5 prc is simply bad a$$!!
You can push the heaviest 6.5 bullets at 3000 fps with ease.. it seemed to be easy to tune and get a great load for. Does great way way out there.. alot of claims of really good barrel life BUT i burnt my first barrel up in 600 rounds.. at least i think i did.. it was a shilen select match barrel and shilen has it checking it out as we speak.. im hoping i just got a bad barrel.. or i my have made a poor choice in powder selection.. still waiting on answers to that.. however i like the round so much i bought another barrel.. it is a bad a$$ cartridge
Grant

Reply #3
Marshall the 6.5 prc is simply bad a$$!!
You can push the heaviest 6.5 bullets at 3000 fps with ease.. it seemed to be easy to tune and get a great load for. Does great way way out there.. alot of claims of really good barrel life BUT i burnt my first barrel up in 600 rounds.. at least i think i did.. it was a shilen select match barrel and shilen has it checking it out as we speak.. im hoping i just got a bad barrel.. or i my have made a poor choice in powder selection.. still waiting on answers to that.. however i like the round so much i bought another barrel.. it is a bad a$$ cartridge

What powder did you use in it?

Reply #4
Reloader 26
Grant

Reply #5
Is RL 26 hard on barrels itself?  More abrasive?

Reply #6
Been shooting 6.5 Creedmore for about 9 months now.   Have worked up several loads, but the best I've come up with is Hodgdon Superformance paired with Hornady 140 gr ELD Match bullets.  (testing 147 gr version now, but going to be hard to beat the 140 results)   I'm getting < .5 MOA groups consistently at 200 yards.   Currently building a bench at 400 yards so that's the next test.  Did take these loads to a 500 yard range and was able to ring 6" steel disk without any problems.   Looking forward to going out further in the not too distant future.  

Reply #7
Is RL 26 hard on barrels itself?  More abrasive?
Leadhammer im not ready to say that yet.. not till i hear what shilen has to say about my barrel.. it is a hot burning powder seems to me like.. you can get good speed out of it with no apparent pressure signs but their may be a price to pay with that.. will know more when i hear back from the barrel maker..
Grant