Skip to main content
Topic: Range that IS open (Read 388 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Range that IS open

Reply #15
Now to design a shooting platform.  Being pancake flat land and very high humidity more often than not, we want to be a few feet off the ground and have the E-target up about 5ft up in the air.  We have pretty much settled on a treated lumber deck 8x10 on pier/beam with 3ft piers.  Should allow up to 3 mats/rifles to be set up at the same time.  This should keep mirage to a minimum in the very early morning and possibly late evening.  Open to suggestions and ideas.

Reply #16
You could get a 8x16 conex.. set it cross ways and shoot off the top when its warm .. cut 3 windows out of the side of it for them cold rainy days.. 😁
Grant

Reply #17
Did some recon on the land on which I was granted permission to set up a range:

Now for a carrier frame to accept a 4'x4' target with a Shotmarker unit:

Still a work in progress.  I need to add wheels to allow it to be moved as needed and a latching mechanism to keep it in the upright position.  I will have a rope/pulley combination to raise/lower the carrier to remove the target for out of the weather storage (which my friend will allow in his shop next to the range :) ).  We are going to construct a treated lumber deck (10' x 12') raised about 3 1/2' off the ground for shooting prone...maybe add a bench?).  The target center will be about 8-9' off the ground so mirage can be reduced.  We will also be shooting across water for much of the warmer time of the year which will also reduce mirage.  I am chomping at the bit to get this up and running.  Unfortunately I will have a lot of time on my hands as we are laying off most of our staff today and closing one clinic to consolidate our efforts and reduce overhead.   Plenty of time but no $$ to spare for much shooting.

Robin

Reply #18
Sorry about the lay offs. We are still hanging in there in spite of the horrible oil market.

I shoot over about 100 yards of water and have heard people say your load won't shoot the same over water as land. I think it's BS and think while your dope may be different the load itself will not.
Dave

Reply #19
Here's my layout in ND

I shoot from the bottom of the pic out over the water.

First pin is 602 yards and second is 998 yards according to a several rangefinders.

Dave

Reply #20
Thanks Dave.  We will get through this soon enough.  Hopefully Pompeo's call to the Saudis and their efforts to resolve this with Vladimir will help the energy sector once demand comes back up.  We just put a jet pump in our well yesterday to get stable flow numbers and get the remaining completion fluids out.  So far it is producing over 27bph, mostly water, but the oil cut is steadily rising and should be greater than 90%.  The engineer estimated a 400-600 BPD initial flow based on typical numbers for similar completions in the formation and region reservoirs so it looks like he knows his poop.  This well/lease only cost us $1.1mil so we can still make do with $25/bbl prices but we would like to flip the well/lease and get a more immediate ROI.   Now, to get a buyer ::) at these prices.  On another note we had to get a W/O rig back on location to pull the tubing and change the bottom hole assembly for the pump.  The day rate dropped over $1700 in 6 weeks so the service companies are working just to keep the doors open and retain their best employees.  Reminds me of the 80's around here where only the ones with a firm business plan good money management survived. 

As far as my practice I think we will be up and running full steam in about 6 weeks...if not sooner.

Reply #21
Nice.  Is that tank in front of the target?

We'll actually have close to 970yds depending on where we end up placing the target.  We could get 1600+ yds if wanted but would have to shoot from a temporary firing point on the main farm road.  We have a pad on the side of the road where we are free to build a deck that give the 970 number.  Do you get many calm mornings at your spot...cause it sure looks like it they would be few and far between in that topography.  We get a lot of dead calm sunrises but mirage get wicked within 1hr most days...but...it is enough time to get testing done since we don't load at the range.

Reply #22
Here's my set up at home in SD that I rarely use.

I shoot from the top of the pic to the SE

To the first big dot is 650 yards
to the second big dot is 1030
to the 3rd big dot is 1550
to the 4th big dot is 1770

It's quite the journey to go check targets and the 1550 & 1770 are in another pasture so there's usually a gate to open and that pasture was farmed years ago and when they seeded it back to grass I think they used a backhoe because it's a rough SOB!

Dave

Reply #23
Nice.  Is that tank in front of the target?

We'll actually have close to 970yds depending on where we end up placing the target.  We could get 1600+ yds if wanted but would have to shoot from a temporary firing point on the main farm road.  We have a pad on the side of the road where we are free to build a deck that give the 970 number.  Do you get many calm mornings at your spot...cause it sure looks like it they would be few and far between in that topography.  We get a lot of dead calm sunrises but mirage get wicked within 1hr most days...but...it is enough time to get testing done since we don't load at the range.

No probably just a small puddle.
Dave

Reply #24
Looks like you might get to pop some prairie poodles from you bench :D .

Reply #25
Looks like you might get to pop some prairie poodles from you bench :D .

Not from the bench but there are plenty down in SD close to my house.
Dave

Reply #26
Early morning and late evening is about the only calm we get.

That's not even most mornings either. With the lack of trees in this country a 5 mph wind is calm. Evenings are the same and I don't do any serious testing in the evening because it never seems to repeat in the morning.

Might get 2 or 3 mornings a week where it's calm enough to test at long range.
Dave

Reply #27
Finished the carrier.  I set it up to be somewhat mobile by putting wheels on the rear of the base and a lift/pull handle on the front that locks upright to secure the position and bring it to level. This us what happens when you have too much time on your hands.  ;D

Reply #28
Looks good robin.. i want to know how long do you think it will take you and your buddies to shoot it in half.. 😁
I made a small a frame stand to hang plates on out at distance out of black 1/2 inch gas pipe.. thought it would last for ever.. but its got 3 legs almost shot into on it and the top pipe has several holes in it.. lol..
Grant

Reply #29
Robin, nicely done.  Do you have plans that you provide? ::)

I am excited for you to have such a great location to shoot.  Be good to your landlord !!
Bob