Skip to main content
Topic: 7-08 IMP new barrel tune (Read 325 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 7-08 IMP new barrel tune

Reply #30
will be watching to see how they do for ya.... my 6.5x284 likes the 153 atip… couldn't tell much difference here at home between them and the 147 eldm but they shined out past 500 yards...
Grant

Reply #31
will be watching to see how they do for ya.... my 6.5x284 likes the 153 atip… couldn't tell much difference here at home between them and the 147 eldm but they shined out past 500 yards...

I've got little experience with them but I sure like the looks of them. I've talked to some pretty knowledgeable bullet people the last couple days and there seems to be a belief that the junction between the tip and the jacket as in that ring around the nose of the bullet adds to the stability.

I'm optimistic!
Dave

Reply #32
Dave how much variability in the Atips between the ogive and meplat? The way this bullet is put together may be advantageous.

Reply #33
Dave how much variability in the Atips between the ogive and meplat? The way this bullet is put together may be advantageous.

I honestly didn't sort them. The few I tested showed about .003" in OAL and were within .001" base to ogive. Pretty similar to all that sorting I did last winter in regards to the variance being between the ogive and meplat.

When I get the new batch I'll do some serious sorting.
Dave

Reply #34
Seating depth ladder on the 166 A Tips, .009 off is smallest but not by much. 46.2 g H4350
.012, .015 & .018 are overlapping shooting to the same POI but that's not necessarily as important as overlap in powder charge testing.

I also shot a ladder from 46.6 through 47.4 in .2s that was big and climbing the paper throughout.

The nodes are at 46.2 +/- and 45.7 +/-
46.2 was 2860 at 50* the day I velocity tested so I'm thinking 45.7 is about 2820

I sorted 200 of the 166 A tips for OAL and Base to ogive last night. They were within .002" for OAL and within .001" for base to ogive. Easily by far the most consistent OAL of any bullet I've ever handled.
Dave

Reply #35
So in defiance of the Governer I opened up my 1000 yard range this morning.

12* almost no wind, other than the cold easily the best conditions I've shot in a month.

Shot two ladders the first from 45.5 - 45.9 in .1s at .009" off. This area shot good at 600 yards and once again proves "tune at the intended distance!

Oh well.

Dave

Reply #36
I let the barrel cool and went down and checked the target then went back up and shot these.

Honest disclosure because some smart ass is gonna say that target looks like he poked the holes with a pen.

I did, only got about half on paper because my sighters were .3 g higher than my lowest charge. The lower charges were "caught on the white painted OSB backer so were easily seen and colors were recognizable. I stapled the white paper up and and punched through it into the holes to "catch" all the holes.

Dave

Reply #37
I shot 46.6 up through 47 the other day and 46.6 while not necessarily small did group and was the smallest of that mess. I will probably ladder 46.1 through 46.5 next and hopefully find the center to start fine tuning seating. 46.3 seems settled on this target.

It's been a grindfest!
Dave

Reply #38
Dave is that with 4350 or did you go back to Staball?

Reply #39
H 4350

At mid 46 g the case is full. Any higher requires a drop tube to keep from crunching powder.
Dave

Reply #40
I may look at RL 16 and 6.5Stabal yet as well as some different primers. All testing so far has been with BR 2s
Dave

Reply #41
Wind  & mirage lol

The 7 is the bottom row.

Dave