Skip to main content
Topic: Daniel Defense???? Greeny Needs Some help.  (Read 332 times) previous topic - next topic

Daniel Defense???? Greeny Needs Some help.

Gents,

Young vet looking to get into hunting (hogs, deer, coyotes, elk maybe one day) and target. I want to go the AR variant and really like the style of the daniel defense ambush series. Anyone have a DD gun or know of any user experience?  They are mafe in usa and offer a 12%military discount.

I only intend on buying 1 gun. I'd like to go the 6.5CM round, but I am not sure which barrel length to go with....option is 18" or 20".  I am not sure if it matters any but I am 6'6" tall.

Link to the gun I am considering. https://danieldefense.com/dd5-v4-hunter.html

Any wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Re: Daniel Defense???? Greeny Needs Some help.

Reply #1
Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service.🇺🇸

I'm not the AR guy around here but I would get the 20" barrel. One of the more knowledgeable members will be along shortly I bet.
Dave

Reply #2
I would recommend the longer barrel.  Given that amount of coin, I would seriously look at an LMT Long Range.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/853612860
See you at the range.

Reply #3
I too want to thank you for your service and welcome to the forum.  Great people here with expert advise.  With regards to your Daniel Defense AR, I think if you have the funds... go for it, probably the 20".  Personally, I build or assemble my own and have done quite a few in 6.5 CM.  I have had the best results using Aero Precision Upper and lower, B/A barrels in 22", although shorter would reduce some weight.  I have tried Palmetto Arms and Matrix Aerospace uppers and lowers but always came back to a Ballistic Advantage (B/A) barrel with what ever trigger and stock was available.  I shoot mostly target and long range and my favorite load for target is Hornady 140 BTHP over 41.8 gr. RL16 in Starline brass.  Good to 1K yds for me.  My thoughts are to spend less on the components and more on the glass for hunting or target.  Just my thoughts.   Again....welcome to the forum.
Mike

Reply #4
For a around user I’d prefer 18” over 20” but really AR-10 platform guns are really on the heavy side and not well suited to every hunting situation. I use mine mostly as a target gun but have used it to take whitetail but I wasn’t doing any walking to speak of stocking, deer drives or mountain hunting I wouldn’t choose that platform. Stand/blind hunting sure and it would be particularly well suited for hogs imo. I’ve never heard anything bad about danial defense I’d also look at JP enterprises. I have their HP bolt in mine and it’s good stuff

Reply #5
They offer it in a 16" barrel too, so I was steering to the 18", middle kind of road. I am interested in the range only for purposes of improving my shot for hunting, but I dont care to just target practice as a past time. No offense to anyone. And to that extent hunting would be out to 300 yards max. But I'dlike to be proficient out to say 600. I'm a bit of a wus, so I like the idea of the 6.5cm recoil and the absorbtion of the ar.  I was in the military, we carried our ars on super long distances on patrol, son it wont bother me for stalking. 

Reply #6
IT blazer

You where carrying a AR-15 size gun 6.5 Creedmoor cannot be built on that platform it's only AR-10 compatable their is quite a difference in size and weight. Really if I wanted a walking around gun I'd look hard at the DPMS gen 2 I think they only come in 308 but that's  more than capable out to midrange shooting of 600 yds then just re-barrel to 6.5 if you don't like it or shoot it out. Now if you've been someplace and handled a AR-10 platform gun and thought hay I'd like to pack this thing around then by all means go for it.

Reply #7
You where carrying a AR-15 size gun 6.5 Creedmoor cannot be built on that platform it's only AR-10 compatable their is quite a difference in size and weight. Really if I wanted a walking around gun I'd look hard at the DPMS gen 2 I think they only come in 308 but that's  more than capable out to midrange shooting of 600 yds then just re-barrel to 6.5 if you don't like it or shoot it out. Now if you've been someplace and handled a AR-10 platform gun and thought hay I'd like to pack this thing around then by all means go for it.
[/quote]

Its not apples to apples compared what we had carried, but we also carried a lot of gear too. Optics on this gun would also make it a bit heavier too.  I'm really more concerned with the unknown of paying $2,500 for the rifle and wanted to hear about the quality of the gun. Also nice to see its made in georgia. Perhaps no one on here owning one may be an inclination.... I have a 308 bolt handme down but I just don't enjoy having to shoot it.  I appreciate your input.

Reply #8
18" is GTG considering your qualities desired.
As for your "only one" comment..... Hahahhhaaa ... ( good luck !! )

Why the DD ? great company and product... but expensive. ( Not knocking the DD at all )

I would consider a Aero Precision... you'd have money left over for another upper.

Reply #9
I suggest you also check things out at AR-15.com.  I think you may find more folks with AR-10 experience there.

Reply #10
I recently finished building a light weight semi auto 6.5 CM (DPMS 308 pattern) using 2A Armament Xanthos receivers, 22" AR15Performance barrel, titanium carrier - 6lb 6oz total - without glass or mag...
Much lighter than my AR-15 wildcat cal builds.

Dennis
NRA Endowment Life Member
Hog count: 189.... Sus: 14... Canis 17... Lynx rufus 1 … Thermal cal. - 30 Herrett AR -  AR15Performance.

Reply #11
LMT, JP or Seekins from heaviest to lightest and all will be shooters.  I've shot one DD and was not impressed enough to justify the cost.  I own the others and would purchase them again.  SA's that can hang with a bolt gun are a pleasure and those will do it.

Reply #12
So, I had a similar set of questions. I wanted a combat AR in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 20" barrel. Accurate to 1000+ and cost was an issue. Here's what I did;

Adams Arms P2 6.5 Creedmoor 18" factory barrel.
Geissele SD-E trigger
Luth AR stock
Vortex Rasor HD 4.5-27x56

The rifle came with a lousy trigger and carbine stock, which I knew it would. The barrel (after it's first 80 rounds) seems to be like my other Adams Arms 4150 QPQ barrels, excellent. I just couldn't pop for the P3 with 24" Proof Research barrel, but it prices about the same as the DD.

Friday I shot at 1000 yards easily. Factory Hornady 147 ELD-M was impacting at about 1380 fps, Factory Hornady 140 ELD-M was impacting at about 1455 fps. I'm certain the barrel is easily sub-moa, but I'm not quite shooting as well as the barrel, and velocities seem to be increasing with round count on this new barrel. My 3 other AA AR's in 5.56 shoot 1/2 moa when bagged and strapped to a sled.

When I've shot this barrel out I'll replace with a 4150 20". I'm really not a stainless steel fan.

I Cerakoted the upper FDE.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck. 😁

Reply #13
Thanks for the replies. I'd prefer not to have to swap parts or to do a build. Is there not a gun out there or that is great right out of the box?

I won't say money is an issue, but It won't stand in the way. Are there no DD owners on the forum?

Reply #14
Give Ruger a look.

I had a DD AR15 years ago, it was just another AR with a high price tag. Yes they used some premium parts and put out a consistent product. You probably will not regret buying one.

Look around on the used market these days, ARs are dirt cheap, even the brand name ones. And, I'm not talking about taking advantage of anyone during the current circumstances, ARs have been dirt cheap for months before the current mess started.
Chris