Skip to main content
Topic: 6.5 Grendel upper 6 MOA, where to start? (Read 295 times) previous topic - next topic

6.5 Grendel upper 6 MOA, where to start?

Last week I pulled out a 6.5 Grendel upper to run on two different lower receivers with different triggers. My plan was to shoot 10 rounds each to help me decide which trigger I like better. Ammo was Hornady 120 gr Amax factory. 100 yards.

I was stunned to see 6 MOA groups on the target  :'(

It's been so long since I shot this upper I'm a bit fuzzy as to what it did before, but 6 MOA was not it. I may have changed scopes but again, it's been long enough I don't remember.

Something is obviously wrong; I'm no marksman but I can sure as heck do better than 6 MOA.

I'm thinking start with the scope and mount, any other ideas what to look at?

Thanks

ps. The Gieselle SSA-E trigger won me over by a wide margin :)
Chris

Re: 6.5 Grendel upper 6 MOA, where to start?

Reply #1
Scope and mounts are definitely the place to start. Beyond that, there is little in the way of gear that would cause the problem, but you still have to take a close look, like are you shooting from a bag or bipod? If it's not your gear, then it's likely some simple little bad habit that you've picked up, or a basic fundamental that you've neglected. That's how it works for me anyway.

Last time I had a similar issue, it was me. I discovered that for some reason I started blinking when I dropped the hammer. Once I realized what I was doing, I was able to pay specific attention to it and the problem went away. It wasn't a 6MOA problem, but it still boiled down to just one of those basic fundamental things that we tend to take for granted after shooting for several decades.

Let us know what it is when you finally figure it out.
Stay Out Of My Psychosis!

Reply #2
Do you have a mounted flash arrester or brake?

Reply #3
Do you have a mounted flash arrester or brake?

Yessir, I have an Area419 universal mount on the muzzle. When I was done shooting my 6.5 CM X-bolt, I moved the brake itself over to the AR upper.

Ugh, please don't tell me I screwed that up...
Chris

Reply #4
Yessir, I have an Area419 universal mount on the muzzle. When I was done shooting my 6.5 CM X-bolt, I moved the brake itself over to the AR upper.

Easy enough to tell. Shoot it with the brake off and see what it does.
Stay Out Of My Psychosis!

Reply #5

Don’t know. Just looking for anything mechanical in that upper other then rail, rings,  or scope.

Reply #6
Another thought on a place to look.  I don't know much about the configuration but I have seen issues with the gas block not having enough clearance to the hand guard.  I've had to increase the clearance on a couple to ensure that the barrel was floating.  Something else to take a look at.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #7
This one was textbook amateur; finger-tightened one-piece scope base, it was all over the place.

Thanks for the help team!
Chris

Reply #8
Chris, glad you found it and it was an easy fix.
Bob
If everything seems under control......you're just not going fast enough

Reply #9
Super! Glad to hear the good news. 😊

Reply #10
 Now what size groups ? 😀
If your going to be a Bush Alaskan You need a perfect winter rifle. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS in 6.5 Creedmoor is mine.<br>You are being watched.