Skip to main content
Topic: Browning 1:7 owners - Pet Loads for Accuracy ? (Read 93 times) previous topic - next topic

Browning 1:7 owners - Pet Loads for Accuracy ?

I'm fairly new to the forum but have been shooting the 6.5CM for a few years.  First in a Savage 10 BA Stealth and now in a Browning X-Bolt Tac Hunter 26" 1:7 twist.  It's a Field and Stream exclusive but is basically a non fluted 26" version of the Hell's Canyon series.

So far I am real happy with the rifle and am working on some accuracy reloads for it.  I've found that Hornayd Superformance SST ammo patterns like a shotgun and 120 BT reloads did not shoot well either.

It's looking like the heavier bullets will be the best for this barrel as I'm starting to see 140 ELDM's shoot pretty well around 41gr of powder whether it be IMR4350 or RL16 that I have on hand.

Do any of you that shoot the Brownings have a pet load you've found to be really accurate?  Speed wise I'm getting good results even at 41gr.  Around 2700 fps.

Thanks,  Greg

Re: Browning 1:7 owners - Pet Loads for Accuracy ?

Reply #1
My X-bolt 28" 1:8 has settled in nicely with 40.5 gr H4350 and 140 gr projectiles, Hornady BTHP in my case. I'm seeing 2750 fps.

I have another node up at 41.7 gr H4350 which adds another 100 fps or so. For the type of shooting I do, 100-300 yards target, I'm not inclined to run this node.

Accuracy-wise I feel confident this is a sub-MOA setup where the chimp pulling the trigger is the weakest link :) I believe it really is a sub 1/2 MOA rig, I'm just not there yet. I will say it's more rare to see >MOA than <1/2 MOA, I'm moving in the right direction.
Chris

Reply #2
Thanks for the info.

I am going to load a ladder test at 41gr using the eldm and eldx bullets and do 41.0, 41.2, 41.4 and 41.6 to see which groups the best.

Like you I think the biggest detriment to this gun's accuracy is me.  So I'll do my best to eliminate that variable.

I'm using Starline brass for this gun and have 3 good powders to test.  H4350, IMR4350 and RL16.  I'm getting good velocity in the 2700's so now just looking for a good accurate node.  This is a hunting rig with a suppressor so I'll be looking for what shoots best in that scenario and then verify the POI change when I take the suppressor off so I'll know how much to dial the zero for both.

Thanks.

Reply #3
1:7 is a bit much for the twist rate. 140 class bullets only
need 1:8.  If this barrel was in my line up, I'd test 147ELDs,
153 A-tips, 150 Sierra MK's and the Berger heavy hunter.
Be interesting to see the long 140 RDF in the mix.
Keeping my bad Kharma intact since 1952

Reply #4
Give the 140/156 Berger Elite Hunters a try.  Shooting both, factory from Copper Creek in a X Bolt Left hand all weather.  Accurate and deadly.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #5
1:7 is a bit much for the twist rate. 140 class bullets only
need 1:8.  If this barrel was in my line up, I'd test 147ELDs,
153 A-tips, 150 Sierra MK's and the Berger heavy hunter.
Be interesting to see the long 140 RDF in the mix.

All the new Browning 6.5 cm are 1:7.

Reply #6
I forgot to mention with my load of 40.5 gr H4350, that's with Alpha brass which has less case capacity than Starline. I was using Starline before I switched and doubt I'd see 2750 fps with 40.5 gr H4350 using Starline.

I wish I had the case capacity numbers handy but I don't.
Chris

Reply #7
I forgot to mention with my load of 40.5 gr H4350, that's with Alpha brass which has less case capacity than Starline. I was using Starline before I switched and doubt I'd see 1750 fps with 40.5 gr H4350 using Starline.

I wish I had the case capacity numbers handy but I don't.

That's too slow bike but I think you meant 2750 not 1750 LOL
Dave

Reply #8
That's too slow bike but I think you meant 2750 not 1750 LOL

Fingers moving faster than brain, lol

I fixed it, thx for the catch.
Chris