Skip to main content
Topic: new MTU barrel (Read 402 times) previous topic - next topic

new MTU barrel

Swapped my OEM SAV 10 GRS barrel for a SS Criterion MTU 26"
Have about 50 rounds down it so far, looks like a keeper.
These were at 100 yards yesterday, shot 123 ELDM, 130 TMK and 140 BTHP factory.
Was cleaning & waiting between every group of 5,  so 1st one below was more like a cold bore shot.

... rule #9 ...

Re: new MTU barrel

Reply #1
That's looking like a keeper.
How do you like the H100v powder?
And where do you compare it to like, H4350 and RL16?

Reply #2
Like the H100V a lot, especially for metering.
Was using H4350 then switched to H100V for 123 - 140 gn projectiles.
Its better than ball powder for temp sensitivity but not as good as Varget or H4350, IMO.

Still use 8208 XBR for 100 gn and lighter.
Don't have  any experience with RL-16 (yet).
... rule #9 ...

Reply #3
I knew you would like the criterion barrel.. nice shooting bob..
Grant

Reply #4
Always nice to break in new legs.  ;)   Let's see how far you
can get it to run.....And what Grant said about Criterion !!

Reply #5
Very interesting.  I was stuck between the Criterion MTU and a Proof Research SS Sendero, I ended up ordering the Proof barrel and should have it in the next few weeks. Looking to swap out late December.  Savage Mod 10 GRS.

Reply #6
How many rounds did you run through your factory barrel?

Reply #7
@bob_atl May i ask if your MTU contour bbl is straight tapered?  physically straight tapered?  have you looked or checked?

the reason i ask, because i recently purchased a MTU contour bbl and while looking from breech to muzzle, i see a few wiggly reflection lines. 

Reply #8
Allen:  well over 1500, closer to 1600 total.
Throat erosion was 30 thou and probably had plenty life left in it.

DDRH65CM:  looked mine over pretty good and didn't see anything unusual.
Believe the MTU OD profile is flat in the chamber area then a straight slight taper down to 0.93" OD at muzzle.
... rule #9 ...

Reply #9
Thanks @bob_atl !  Yes, its suppose to be flat/cylinder for about 4" then tapers to ~0.925/0.930".  the shop that i bought it from said it suppose to straighten out near the muzzle because bbl weight and it's easier to machine at a quicker pace.  Sounds kinda BS but i dunno, so i'm asking around.  There's another taper before the one i circled in the photos

Reply #10
Allen:  well over 1500, closer to 1600 total.
Throat erosion was 30 thou and probably had plenty life left in it.

I have about 1900 on mine and it is still shooting pretty tight groups but it seems like it is slowing down a little.  Very little throat erosion that I can measure.  I have also started cleaning it differently, more complete cleaning and that may be what I'm seeing.

Reply #11
MTU straight Taper?

Reply #12
Mine is a straight taper, laid a metal Carpenter Square on it and didn't see any gaps.
It is also threaded and the taper continues to the shoulder at the threads without gaps/curves.
... rule #9 ...

Reply #13
MTU straight Taper?

I certainly see what you're talking about but don't really know what to say about it. I'm a huge Criterion fan and it pains me to say it but it looks like someone gave up a little quick when profiling it.
Dave

Reply #14
Thanks @bob_atl and @HufD63 I've also asked a well known bbl manufacturer and well know smith. They both confirm it shouldn't look like that.

The shop/smith who spun up this bbl says, it's how they do their barrels...funny thing is i got other barrels from them with same MTU or M24 contour and none of it has wavy lines.  All are actually straight tapered. 

This happened to someone else on another forum. The shop/smith was very gracious and offered to help.  The diff is i didnt bring this into light with their shop name...maybe thats why i got the funny explanations?

Their "straight taper" as they described would be like this:

Breech>straight cylinder>straight taper>straight cylinder for several inches at the muzzle.

This is so that it's "easier" to lock down the bbl in the lathe. (Or something like that)

@bob_atl i apologize for thread jacking you.