Skip to main content
Topic: Minnesota opener (Read 148 times) previous topic - next topic

Minnesota opener

Got lucky this morning at 9:50, without the help of my boys got this buck out to the truck by 2:05...
Of coarse I struggled to get it loaded up. Pretty much a hefty burger!  Guessing 175-200 dressed.
I will weigh all the meat, parts & scraps to get an idea.

130 Berger pencil hole in blew off bottom of heart and disintegrated the lungs.  Only a 70 yard shot but he ran down the hill (wrong way, naturally) another 50-60 yards into the tag alder swamp

Not as long as last years drag but just as hard.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Re: Minnesota opener

Reply #1
Nice job!
 I have a 12v battery and a cheap winch in the box of my truck. Its chained to the inside of the box loops, and I can winch the deer up some boards. 

Reply #2
Nice buck! Hope to do as well or better in about 10 days.
Dave

Reply #3
that's the same pill I have loaded for next weekend... hope I get a chance to use it... nice buck randy... I feel for ya having to get it out by yourself
Grant

Reply #4
Awesome buck!  Hoping to let some Bergers fly in Texas Panhandle exactly a month from now.
If you have the shot, take it.

Reply #5
Thanks all for the kind words.

Had different performance at different times with Bergers in the past. 25-06 penciled through on a couple of occasons....6.5 Bob blew up inside with no exit and blood trail...went about 100 yards. Dropped a couple with no exit but massive meat damage....
This one worked like I hoped, he left a great blood trail even though I saw him crash and the brush was waving as he death kicked.

I read a while back to make sure the hollow point is open...checked all with a  "hat pin"...all good...in the past meplats looked ragged & uneven.  I think Berger stepped up their quality game.

Below zero wind chill here today (-4F) it froze him up pretty good here last night after I skinned him...got the hinds in the garage thawing out...

Looking forward to Wisconsin in about two weeks.

Good luck to all as your fall hunts progress.
11X Grandfather
Part time Savagesmith

Reply #6
I think you're correct about the points being open they may have been trying a little too hard to make them a MATCH hunting bullet.

The deer looks fat, should eat well.
Dave