Skip to main content
Topic: Savage .338 Lapua Magnum (Read 832 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Savage .338 Lapua Magnum

Reply #30
Dave and Ranger, I also favor the single shot target actions....I have 4.  This rifle was going to be mainly for shooting steel out beyond 1000 yards so I was willing to give that up.  Actually, the one attribute of the 110 actions that I don't like is that they only accept the small shank barrels.  I would have liked using a large shank instead.  As with many parts of life, there are trade-offs to be made.

Pretty sure the Target Magnum is a Large shank as well as any WSM 110 I'm sure you know that already I'm just throwing it out there for others.

I "think" I have 5 Savage single shots, a 4.40" Target & the LA Target Magnum large shanks. Then I have a 4.27" short, the 4.52" early J intermediate and the 5.062" long with these three being older flat back single shots. All 5 of these are true solid bottom single shots.   

With the outer receiver diameter being the same on large or small shank actions I'm not sure I buy the whole large shank is stronger debate. With the same cartridge it's the exact same amount of steel encompassing the round.
It would be much nicer if they were the same. I have 2 large shank actions and a lot of small shank actions and a lot of really nice small shank barrels and only a few large shank barrels with most of them being high round count.
It would be awesome if they were all the same! 
Dave

Reply #31
My Bighorn 6mm CM only accepts a small shank and that works very well.  The main reason why I tend to like the large shank is that it gives me a bigger diameter barrel for the full length.  I have typically ordered barrels with no taper that are 1.120" for the full length.  This helps to add some more weight and stiffness.  The small shank limits the diameter to 1.050 I believe....not much but noticeable. 
Bob

Reply #32
Got a McRee's G7 chassis already set up for the 3 screw long Target action.

All I can say is NICE!

Plenty of room in the fore end cavity so I made a couple weights that are secured by screws into threaded holes in the chassis.

I didn't do a before and after weight but it sits at 18.8 # now and is a little butt heavy using the recoil lug as a balance point.

Dave

Reply #33
Here it is with the .338 Lapua Target Magnum barreled action.

Started load development with the Berger 250g Hybrids

Dave

Reply #34
Nice looking chassis.  I like what seem to be a long forearm.....how does it feel shooting?

What Powder were you using?
Bob

Reply #35
Nice looking chassis.  I like what seem to be a long forearm.....how does it feel shooting?

What Powder were you using?

Shoots nice! Shot it off an old 3" Sinclair Varmint rest and a little Protektor rear bag. It actually behaved better than the "11# 6mm Creedmoor" from last summer.

I'm running H4831 SC, looks like it's gonna work and I've got more of it than H1000, Retumbo or RL 33
Dave

Reply #36
Powder ladder at 600 yards. Trashy tail wind that was switching to 8 O'Clock pretty regular and I stopped after three sets to cool the barrel then took a sighter and shot the last two sets.

Bullets are seated -.020 off and I haven't tested seating yet.

The Rs are 2.7" and the B's are 2.250"

I'll look a couple notches lower next but it's hard to argue with these two groups. Seating depth testing should tighten it up.

After it completely cooled down I took the leftover 88.2g sighters and dialed up 1000 yards and was within 6" of the 2" bull on steel on the cold bore then I hammered it with the last two.

Love the chassis, with the two weights I have in the fore end the gun weighs 18.8# and really soaks up the recoil. It could be free recoiled if it wouldn't slide off the bag when you set it off.

Dave

Reply #37
It's been a while since I looked at the book and was a little concerned about a 250 grain bullet cruising at 3000 fps so last night I got out my Sierra Manual again and there it was, with a 250 SMK max load is 90g H4831 SC @ 3000 FPS.

I think my node is going to be 87.6 - 88.0 and will be running about 2980 -2990

The Berger numbers are not as generous but they don't test H4831 SC either. At the top end of my ladder I got a little bolt lift on a couple cases. Partially because the gun itself was getting hot but if I'm running in the mid to high 87g area I'll be golden.

The cold bore long distance (600-1000 yard) accuracy is unbelievable! I've got some tuning to do yet but would not hesitate to take a looooooong range cold bore shot in a hunting situation with it. It's a lot of fun shooting something when you have that kind of confidence in it.      
Dave